The Student Room Group

Ed excel Chemistry A2 12th June, Wednesday

Scroll to see replies

Who's using the George Facer book to prepare for this unit ?

In January I memorized and learnt every bit of information in that book... now I'm starting to think I had wasted my time

Should I just go through a revision guide or start past papers right away
Reply 21
Original post by posthumus
Who's using the George Facer book to prepare for this unit ?

In January I memorized and learnt every bit of information in that book... now I'm starting to think I had wasted my time

Should I just go through a revision guide or start past papers right away

umm with me I like reading some more than just what the spec needs so I always thought using george facer was the best way to prepare for exam.
Umm go through the spec and if u are not sure then go through text book first coz revision guides have very condensed information unlike the book which actually helps u to understand the topic :smile:
Original post by AS01
umm with me I like reading some more than just what the spec needs so I always thought using george facer was the best way to prepare for exam.
Umm go through the spec and if u are not sure then go through text book first coz revision guides have very condensed information unlike the book which actually helps u to understand the topic :smile:

Thanks :smile: The issue with me is, I'm too obsessed with reading the George Facer book over and over again, like 100 times :tongue:

I think I'll make doing past papers a much larger priority this time ! :smile:

Hopefully this thread will get a lot more busy as well over the next few days, maybe if we get a Mod to add "Unit 4" into the thread title... more people will join :biggrin:

How's revision going for you anyway ? :smile:
Reply 23
Thanks :smile: The issue with me is, I'm too obsessed with reading the George Facer book over and over again, like 100 times :tongue:

I think I'll make doing past papers a much larger priority this time ! :smile:

Hopefully this thread will get a lot more busy as well over the next few days, maybe if we get a Mod to add "Unit 4" into the thread title... more people will join :biggrin:

How's revision going for you anyway ? :smile:

haha same! I love george facer!
LOL! i just realised I didnt keep unit 4 in the title!
Its going alright. Hopefully the paper is good
Reply 24
- Are there any special conditions for the iodoform reaction? Like heating/refluxing?
- For making a carboxylic acids from the iodoform reaction, do we have to heat the mixture after adding excess strong acid (H+)
or will the carboxylic acid form straight away?
Original post by SKK94
- Are there any special conditions for the iodoform reaction? Like heating/refluxing?
- For making a carboxylic acids from the iodoform reaction, do we have to heat the mixture after adding excess strong acid (H+)
or will the carboxylic acid form straight away?

- Gentle warming

- No I think you would have to add excess dilute strong acid afterwards, such as HCl... that's if you'd like to have the carboxylic acid and not the salt :smile:
Reply 26
- Gentle warming

- No I think you would have to add excess dilute strong acid afterwards, such as HCl... that's if you'd like to have the carboxylic acid and not the salt :smile:

Oh right, thanks! :smile:
Reply 27
[June 2010]
Q14) Which of the following solutions, when mixed, would make a buffer with pH
more than 7?
A Methanoic acid and sodium methanoate.
B Sodium hydroxide and sodium chloride.
C Ammonia and ammonium chloride.
D Ammonium chloride and ammonium ethanoate.

Could someone explain this please? I still don't get the theory behind it. :frown:
Reply 28
- [June 2010]
Q5) Which of the following reacts with hydrogen cyanide, HCN, to make a racemic mixture?
A Methanal, HCHO
B Ethanal, CH3CHO
C Propanone, CH3COCH3
D Pentan-3-one, C2H5COC2H5

The answer is B, but how are A and C wrong? Both are planar right? So CN- can attack from top or bottom..

- To distinguish propanone from propan-1-ol, would warming each compound with Fehling’s or Benedict’s solution work ?

- How does adding water, drop by drop to each, distinguish ethanoyl chloride from ethanol?

Original post by SKK94
[June 2010]
Q14) Which of the following solutions, when mixed, would make a buffer with pH
more than 7?
A Methanoic acid and sodium methanoate.
B Sodium hydroxide and sodium chloride.
C Ammonia and ammonium chloride.
D Ammonium chloride and ammonium ethanoate.

Could someone explain this please? I still don't get the theory behind it. :frown:

Is it C? I think ammonia is the strongest base and ammonium chloride is pretty weak :smile:

Original post by SKK94
- [June 2010]
Q5) Which of the following reacts with hydrogen cyanide, HCN, to make a racemic mixture?
A Methanal, HCHO
B Ethanal, CH3CHO
C Propanone, CH3COCH3
D Pentan-3-one, C2H5COC2H5

The answer is B, but how are A and C wrong? Both are planar right? So CN- can attack from top or bottom..

- To distinguish propanone from propan-1-ol, would warming each compound with Fehling’s or Benedict’s solution work ?

- How does adding water, drop by drop to each, distinguish ethanoyl chloride from ethanol?

Propanone + HCN is a standard reaction which you should know for this paper. The CN can attack from either top or bottom to form a racemic solution as there is a chiral center. A does not have a chiral center.. the end result will have a carbon with 1 CN group, 1 OH group & 2 Hydrogens ! For it to be a chiral center, all four attached groups must be different. Same goes for C... the end result will have a carbon center which has 1 CN group, 1 OH group but 2 CH3 groups.

-No Tollen's reagent also reduces Fehling's and Benedict's solutions.

- Possibly yes, I need to get cracking with this unit lol forgotten so much :frown: But ethanoyl is extremely reactive with water, so I guess you could just distinguish it from that :smile:
Reply 30
Is it C? I think ammonia is the strongest base and ammonium chloride is pretty weak :smile:

Propanone + HCN is a standard reaction which you should know for this paper. The CN can attack from either top or bottom to form a racemic solution as there is a chiral center. A does not have a chiral center.. the end result will have a carbon with 1 CN group, 1 OH group & 2 Hydrogens ! For it to be a chiral center, all four attached groups must be different. Same goes for C... the end result will have a carbon center which has 1 CN group, 1 OH group but 2 CH3 groups.

-No Tollen's reagent also reduces Fehling's and Benedict's solutions.

- Possibly yes, I need to get cracking with this unit lol forgotten so much :frown: But ethanoyl is extremely reactive with water, so I guess you could just distinguish it from that :smile:

Yeah it's C.

Arghh! I totally forgot about the chiral center! Thanks :smile:

Yeah, me too :frown: I never thought I'd forget so much, so fast.
Unit 4, my old friend.

How is everyone coping?
Reply 32
I find chemistry hard and have to take an exam on c1,2,3 a module test with three chapters. What would u suggest would be the main points to revise? Help please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Unit 4, my old friend.

How is everyone coping?

Going to start of with organic in just a bit :biggrin: Making past papers a bigger priority this time... which I'm going to start on Sunday :smile:

How about yourself?

Apart from calculations I think going over this unit again will also be quite beneficial with respect to our Unit 5 exam! :smile:

Original post by 1Dswag
I find chemistry hard and have to take an exam on c1,2,3 a module test with three chapters. What would u suggest would be the main points to revise? Help please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Slightly confused :colondollar: Not sure what your trying to say... I mean what c1,2 & 3 is
x

It certainly will be beneficial for Unit 5, I think it's quite a nice unit to be honest. I like all the organic stuff. :biggrin:
Reply 35
Hey guys would anyone know the answer to this: is confusing me so much. Please help.

Question: A mother was overheard talking to a child" you were made in heaven using stardust" give 2 scientific evidence to back up this claim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by 1Dswag
Hey guys would anyone know the answer to this: is confusing me so much. Please help.

Question: A mother was overheard talking to a child" you were made in heaven using stardust" give 2 scientific evidence to back up this claim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL is that a physics question? :tongue:
I think:
1) Nuclear fusion gives rise to the elements (that our bodies consist of)
2) Nuclear fusion occurs in supernovae (where there is enough energy/heat to produce the heavy elements such as iron etc)
(a supernova is the one of the possible last stages in stellar evolution, so it consists of material that the star was made of - i.e startdust?)

Here's the physics unit 5 thread for edexcel (if that is what you're doing)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2293091&page=4
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
guys there's a thread just for unit 4 : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2372695 :smile:
Original post by Lili94
guys there's a thread just for unit 4 : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2372695 :smile:

This was supposed to be just for Unit 4 as well, AS01 just forgot to add it in the thread title :tongue:

I'll join this one too :smile: Thanks !
Reply 39
Hey guys, do we need to know about the contact process in detail? Also what about the producing urea stuff in the hsw section??????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending