The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 ICT IT3 exam June 11 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by alphadawg
Hey guys, I compiled images of questions grouped by topics for my own revision, and thought you could use them

http://imgur.com/a/grLjo

please bare in mind though I have not included 2010 summer and 2013 winter.

was going to do that tomorrow. just saved me time

Thank you for sharing it :-)
Reply 21
Hey guys, i'm slightly confused with the peer-to-peer and client-server compare and contrast questions.
For the six marker one, it says to get 6 marks, make any 6 comparisons.

Is a comparison one full point comparing peer-to-peer to client-server,
e.g one mark for 'peer-to-peers are suitable for small networks but client-servers are suitable for large'
or do you get a mark each for one point about peer-to-peer and one point about client-server? e.g one mark for saying 'p2p suitable for small' and one mark for 'client server suitable for large'??
I got 179/200 for AS, did okay in IT1.

But my teacher only gave me 79/100 for my it4! So I'm guessing that's 63UMS, since 79*0.8 = around 63.

So this gives me 242/400, meaning I need 78 more ums to get an A overall, and if I want an A*, I'd need to get 360ums, meaning 118 in it3! I only got 110/120 in It1. So this means I can drop what, 2 marks?

I've been revising a bit though, and have gone through pretty much every question that can come up + done responses. But I hope somehow my coursework grade goes up :frown:

The exam is in the Afternoon on Tuesday, but I have Econ 4 on Tuesday morning which is of much higher priority for me, so I'll probably finish my "proper" revision for this today, and then just stick with Economics Unit 4.

Can somebody clarify my working out of what I need to get, to achieve an A*? Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Keyan333

But my teacher only gave me 79/100 for my it4! So I'm guessing that's 63UMS, since 79*0.8 = around 63.

So this gives me 242/400, meaning I need 78 more ums to get an A overall, and if I want an A*, I'd need to get 360ums, meaning 118 in it3! I only got 110/120 in It1. So this means I can drop what, 2 marks?

I've been revising a bit though, and have gone through pretty much every question that can come up + done responses. But I hope somehow my coursework grade goes up :frown:

The exam is in the Afternoon on Tuesday, but I have Econ 4 on Tuesday morning which is of much higher priority for me, so I'll probably finish my "proper" revision for this today, and then just stick with Economics Unit 4.

Can somebody clarify my working out of what I need to get, to achieve an A*? Thanks!

For an A* you need an A at AS (which you have :smile:) and then 90% overall at A2 (180/200 UMS) so if your coursework mark equated to 63 UMS then you'd need to get 117 UMS in your exam. :smile:
I hate to be the bringer of bad news though but on WJEC's Raw to UMS converter for IT4 coursework in 2011 79 raw marks equated to 58/80 UMS and in 2012 it was 56/80. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by badbodydouble
For an A* you need an A at AS (which you have :smile:) and then 90% overall at A2 (180/200 UMS) so if your coursework mark equated to 63 UMS then you'd need to get 117 UMS in your exam. :smile:
I hate to be the bringer of bad news though but on WJEC's Raw to UMS converter for IT4 coursework in 2011 79 raw marks equated to 58/80 UMS and in 2012 it was 56/80. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ouchhh. Well I think that was the mark, I know it was a high B though, I didn't write it down. She did give it to us in a pretty naff format though, so I'm not too sure.

And that's annoying. I don't know if it's because my teacher doesn't like me, or I actually didn't explain myself enough, which I think I did considering people in my class that I thought wouldn't possibly beat me, did, by quite a large amount.

And, silly me making the mistake on the A* bit, at least there's 1 more ums I can drop, if I do get that high in the coursework!

A is still pretty much visible though, although I would really like an A*.

Have done all my revision, and every single past paper. Most of my revision for ICT is now pretty much over, glad it's out of the way. Real shame about my coursework mark, I hope I got it wrong, or it's remarked somehow!

Thanks for re-working it out
Ouchhh. Well I think that was the mark, I know it was a high B though, I didn't write it down. She did give it to us in a pretty naff format though, so I'm not too sure.

And that's annoying. I don't know if it's because my teacher doesn't like me, or I actually didn't explain myself enough, which I think I did considering people in my class that I thought wouldn't possibly beat me, did, by quite a large amount.

And, silly me making the mistake on the A* bit, at least there's 1 more ums I can drop, if I do get that high in the coursework!

A is still pretty much visible though, although I would really like an A*.

Have done all my revision, and every single past paper. Most of my revision for ICT is now pretty much over, glad it's out of the way. Real shame about my coursework mark, I hope I got it wrong, or it's remarked somehow!

Thanks for re-working it out

I'm sorry :frown: I just felt like I had to tell you :frown: it's strange that you got that mark in your coursework though considering your amazing mark in the IT1 exam (and overall in AS), I would have thought your teacher would've helped you a bit more or given you a little bit of guidance on how to improve so you could get high marks :frown: I'm not saying it's anything you've done wrong in your coursework, I'm sure it's not, sometimes teachers will cover themselves and would rather not give the mark if they were unsure as they wouldn't want everyone's to be marked down from the samples that get sent off to the exam board. I really hope yours gets marked up :smile:
You should get your A though no problem :smile: if you got such a good mark in your IT1 you should do just fine in this too! I'm resitting IT3 this time for a couple of extra marks :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
I'm in an akwared situation in terms of ums. Got a d in my coursework last year (marked very harshly) and a high B in it1 giving me a C 130 ums in as

Much better performance in it4 with 96/100

What would I need for an A overall in this exam?

Thanks any help appreciated
Original post by iggyDash
I'm in an akwared situation in terms of ums. Got a d in my coursework last year (marked very harshly) and a high B in it1 giving me a C 130 ums in as

Much better performance in it4 with 96/100

What would I need for an A overall in this exam?

Thanks any help appreciated

Looking at the Raw/UMS converter in 2011, 96 is 75 UMS and in 2012 it was 74, so taking 74, 130 + 74 would give you 204, and if an A overall is 320/400 then you'd need 116 UMS for an A. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Thank you! I think that May be achievable with the amount of work I'm putting in.

How's your revision going and what mark are you going for this time

I'm just going through past papers ATM and cleaning up on some knowledge.
Reply 29

I'm in the exactly same situation with economics but I'm doing OCR economics f584. I'm not prioritizing any and given them both my 100%. What grade you working at for economics and what do you need in the last exam
Original post by iggyDash
Thank you! I think that May be achievable with the amount of work I'm putting in.

How's your revision going and what mark are you going for this time

I'm just going through past papers ATM and cleaning up on some knowledge.

I think my revision is going alright, I'm trying to pick out what I'm not positive on and I'm looking at the mark schemes more carefully this time round for sure, in Jan I wrote answers that were correct as they were in the textbook but yet didn't match up to the mark scheme so I didn't get credited! :frown: I was so so annoyed when I got my paper back but I guess there's nothing you can do.
I got 105 in January which got marked down to 104 after a remark.. I think I might have got my A* with my coursework (but of course I don't know my mark so I can't be sure) so I'm resitting to save myself, so I'm just trying to get as many more marks as I can :smile:
I've mainly been picking out questions from past papers to do which isn't usually my strategy so I think I'd better make a start on doing full past papers asap!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Hey guys, I compiled images of questions grouped by topics for my own revision, and thought you could use them

http://imgur.com/a/grLjo

please bare in mind though I have not included 2010 summer and 2013 winter.

This really saved me a lot of time! Cheers for that :smile:

Also, another thing people have been asking is whether all the topics will come up. I asked my teacher this and he said that all of them do come up but the marks for each topic vary (obviously). I think that the best way to pass this exam is to just study the markschemes. I'm hoping to get an A on this paper too which will give me an overall A! Good luck everyone, hope you all get what you want come August.
Original post by badbodydouble
I'm sorry :frown: I just felt like I had to tell you :frown: it's strange that you got that mark in your coursework though considering your amazing mark in the IT1 exam (and overall in AS), I would have thought your teacher would've helped you a bit more or given you a little bit of guidance on how to improve so you could get high marks :frown: I'm not saying it's anything you've done wrong in your coursework, I'm sure it's not, sometimes teachers will cover themselves and would rather not give the mark if they were unsure as they wouldn't want everyone's to be marked down from the samples that get sent off to the exam board. I really hope yours gets marked up :smile:
You should get your A though no problem :smile: if you got such a good mark in your IT1 you should do just fine in this too! I'm resitting IT3 this time for a couple of extra marks :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

YES. Just emailed my teacher, turns out I got 87/100. So can you guesstimate what I'll get for my ums please?

Thanks!
Are the mark schemes on the WJEC website? I can't seem to find them, only the past papers and examiners reports (which are quite useful for knowing what mistakes to avoid. by the way)
Reply 34
The answered on the mark scheme on what should Be in a disaster recover plan are vague. Can someone help lol
YES. Just emailed my teacher, turns out I got 87/100. So can you guesstimate what I'll get for my ums please?

Thanks!

In 2011 that was 65 UMS and in 2012 that was 62 :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
does anyone have the january 2013 paper?? it used to be the first link on google when you searched it but its no where to be found!!
Reply 37
Question!

Do you have to answer the exam in order? Can I start with all the highest mark questions first and work through the paper that way?
We do get a ridiculous amount of time to complete the paper. I usually finish with 1 hour to spare and I couldn't write any more.

Half the people started to leave with 45m to spare for it1 last Jan, including the ones who didn't revise and couldn't think of any more waffle to scribble down in hope that the examiner is somewhat High when marking their paper, leading to them actually a getting marks..... But of course that didn't happen!

Shame we didn't get the option to sit this exam in Jan, my college decided to do the coursework first.

Have you actually spent 2h 30m on an ict paper yet? And have you really needed all that time?

Luckily for me it'll be my last exam, so I hope the examiners let people leave who are begging to be set free like last time if they can't write any more!
Reply 39
Original post by waterlilyy
Are the mark schemes on the WJEC website? I can't seem to find them, only the past papers and examiners reports (which are quite useful for knowing what mistakes to avoid. by the way)

does anyone have the january 2013 paper?? it used to be the first link on google when you searched it but its no where to be found!!

Hi, I couldn't find them on the WJEC site either but I looked around online and found all past papers for IT3 on this site with mark schemes too: http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupWorkspaces.asp?GroupID=998027&WorkspaceID=1830330&Javascript=False

It has the January 2013 one too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending