The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JLXP
World cities essay I was talkin so much nonsense looking back.

Same, it was so hard to state specific facts, I kept drifting.
Reply 2901
Original post by Daniel George
it was inevitable that tsunamis would come up! and go you buddy :biggrin:

:biggrin: so glad it came up but floppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppped the rest :smile:
Reply 2902
Did you do tsunamis :smile:?

wrote 6 pages of utter bs for my essay!
Development essay for the win!!! Loved that essay.

However I hated the 25 markers. ****ing Mann Whitney U test, I forgot how to do it. **** you AQA.

However, the boundary for an A is usually between 55 and 60 raw makrs out of 90, so hopefuly that will be achievable.
Original post by Axion
Did you do tsunamis :smile:?

wrote 6 pages of utter bs for my essay!

6 pages are you kidding me? How the hell did you actually physically manage to do that in the time? Did you use extra paper? You did almost double what I did.
What did people wrote about for the world cities 8 marker ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wrote 4 pages and I have small handwriting! that in itself was a marathon....
Reply 2907
Original post by SyntaxZogre
Development essay for the win!!! Loved that essay.

However I hated the 25 markers. ****ing Mann Whitney U test, I forgot how to do it. **** you AQA.

However, the boundary for an A is usually between 55 and 60 raw makrs out of 90, so hopefuly that will be achievable.

i did the development essay too!

i talked about why countries are classed as LDCs, mentioned they have high growth rates due to a greater scope for economic development and drew a production possibility curve, which i came across after researching! i also talked about the balanced unbalanced growth theory and how Bangladesh is an Unbalanced country as it relies on agriculture so if that screws up, so does the country's economy.

i then went on to talk about how they invest all their money in reducing poverty etc, but to grow economically they need to invest in education and this can be done with aid. i talked about bottoms up aid too! in burkina faso, and how it's sustainable, then i talked about aid with interest rate repayments causing a debt burden, and then talked about the IMF, World Bank, HIPCs and MDRI and how Uganda and Malawi's debts were cancelled, and Uganda had to agree to trade liberalisation and Malawi could spend more on preventing malaria and HIV/AIDS.

when i concluded, i remphaised the above and talked about the washington consensus and how the World bank uses some of it's rules when giving loans

i'm worried that the fact that i didn't talk about trade will ruin my chances of getting a high mark! what do you reckon i'd get (rough opinion)?
Reply 2908
Original post by SyntaxZogre
6 pages are you kidding me? How the hell did you actually physically manage to do that in the time? Did you use extra paper? You did almost double what I did.

I write fairly quickly. used a whole booklet and an extra two and a third pages of the other booklet
Reply 2909
Original post by St. Brynjar
Putting Mann Whitney is horrible unfair for people who do Geog 4B.
Having only questions on urbanisation is wrong as well.

Goodbye dream of going to Cambridge, it was fun while it lasted.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Same here i did geog 4B and dont do psychology so had no idea even though i wanted to do that as one of my 25 markers :mad:
Original post by Maid Marian
:console:
Did you do the tectonics essay? That was the only bit I think I did alright on :s-smilie:
The horror of those World Cities questions ... I can't even:doh: :dontknow:

I don't understand how three questions can properly test you on the subject. It makes no sense to me. It would be better to have, say, five 5 markers for the structured questions.

Yeah I did tectonics essay, but looking at what other people wrote on here I might have got the wrong end of the stick :frown: I guess no-one on here knows anything for definite though! And the world cities questions, I just want to burn them, I learned absolutely EVERYTHING about the rest of world cities :/
Reply 2911
It seems like I answered the world cities essay in a slightly different way to everyone else in that I did not include transport or waste management. Just wanted to see if people agree that it could have been answered in this way as well.

i started by splitting the concept of sustainability into the 4 basic types of sustainability: economic, social, environmental and human. I then defined urbanisation and went through some of the causes and impacts. For social sustainability I talked about rising tensions between the rich and the poor due to the development of slums and how social sustainability of urbanisation was more viable in developed countries. For economic I talked about the informal economy in slums and talked about a rapid rate of urbanisation can catch authorities out and therefore legislation will not be at a high standard allowing easy tax evasion and avoidance. (£1.4 trillion of Mumbai money is kept in Switzerland.) finally for environmental sustainability of urbanisation I talked about poor legislation in developing countries allows greater pollution and they may be unwilling to improve it due to risk of limiting Eco growth.

sorry for long post. Does anyone think this is ok?
Reply 2912
Original post by V95

i talked about why countries are classed as LDCs, mentioned they have high growth rates due to a greater scope for economic development and drew a production possibility curve, which i came across after researching! i also talked about the balanced unbalanced growth theory and how Bangladesh is an Unbalanced country as it relies on agriculture so if that screws up, so does the country's economy.

i then went on to talk about how they invest all their money in reducing poverty etc, but to grow economically they need to invest in education and this can be done with aid. i talked about bottoms up aid too! in burkina faso, and how it's sustainable, then i talked about aid with interest rate repayments causing a debt burden, and then talked about the IMF, World Bank, HIPCs and MDRI and how Uganda and Malawi's debts were cancelled, and Uganda had to agree to trade liberalisation and Malawi could spend more on preventing malaria and HIV/AIDS.

when i concluded, i remphaised the above and talked about the washington consensus and how the World bank uses some of it's rules when giving loans

i'm worried that the fact that i didn't talk about trade will ruin my chances of getting a high mark! what do you reckon i'd get (rough opinion)?

You didn't talk about trade hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahah
Original post by Daniel George
I did the essay in the middle, did you find you had enough time in the exam - I don't think I was rushed at all! surprisingly!

I finished it all, but I feel like there was more I wanted to write on some questions. So I didn't feel rushed, but I wish there was a little more time. Even just another 15 minutes!
Reply 2914
I did D&G and Ecosystems for the 7, 8 and 10 markers, and did Tectonics for the essay.

I found the Ecosystems questions really easy. For the picture that was given to us I spoke about the apparent deforestation and the potential mining which may have been taking place. I then 'commented' on the impacts those two factors would have brought about such as the destruction of habitats and the displacement of local wildlife, the potential for soil erosion and increased risk of land-slides as a result the lack of plants to hold the soil together. Also spoke about the potential pollution issues brought about by human traffic through the area, and spoke about how the explosions from the mining may have unstabled the area geologically.

The second question about biodiversity I blagged a bit. I mentioned a local case study we did of Lee Valley Wildlife Corridor that we did and how biodiversity is encouraged in that area. and some other random stuff. Not the best answer I've ever done.

The last question about routeways was quite good too. Spoke about Danish Scurvyweed developing along motorways, as well as sound-barriers next to the roads which thrive off of the carbon and nitrogen rich fumes.

The D&G questions weren't too bad, though human geography is my worst topic. All about TNCs which I probably could have revised better but it went ok.

The tectonics essay was... interesting.

When people are saying they didn't understand what to write, our teacher told us that if the word "hazard" is used, as it was in the question, it's asking you to discuss to what extent a certain event is a hazard to humans. I.e., if there's no humans in an area then there isn't really a hazard. Stuff like that. Then compared my two case studies of Mt Chaiten and Mt Etna discussing which was more hazardous in terms of the factors such as:

-Risk of damage to property, of risk to human life;
-How well prepared certain areas were (e.g. the INGV and the USGS monitoring the areas);
-The different types of eruptions that were present in these examples (in this case Andesitic and Rhyolitic respectively);

And that was it I think. Wasn't the best essay I've done by far, but I managed to get some synoptic points into it. Hopefully I'll get an A in this unit, that'd be pretty awesome but I'd settle for a B too.
That world cities was a world sh***ies !!!!!!!!!!!

I did weather, world cities and the hazards essay. I did my essay first, saw the question and died inside. Did a plan and realised hat actually it was a pretty good question and used most of my first booklet on it!!!!

Ended up using my main booklet plus two extras xD

The circulation 10marker was pretty good. Talked about gulf stream, coriolis force, trade winds, cells and a tiny bit of twaddle about the jet stream at the end!!! Seemed to write 'warm moist air' alot though xD
Original post by V95

Trade was a pretty key factor! Since that's what nearly all countries in the world used lol (especially NICs which I spent a whole paragraph comparing to LDCs and why they were different). But it sounds like you have more than made up for it with the sheer amount of detail and 'beyond the specification' stuff you've included. I talked about trade, the insignificance of small scale aid, the negative effect of large scale aid and the importance of debt.

I also talked about Burkina Faso, and how Thomas Sankara achieved a massive increase in the quality of life through self determination, and how he cut links with the IMF and the World Bank completely and refused to pay back any loans, and how that led to Burkina Faso being temporarily food secure for the first time in centuries, but then everything he did was reversed after he was assassinated lol. That was my main argument as to why some progress could actually be achieved by LDCs on their own without the interference of other countries, but I said ultimately they could only develop to a point, before they would then have to rely on world trade as every other country has done in the world, before it could start industiralising the way NICs have done because of the inter-dependent nature of the world economy.

I only did 3 pages, but I know some people did 5 or 6 or something, but I was happy with the quality of mine so meh. I felt pretty rushed for time though
Original post by danielrhysowen
Haha I thought on my feet, likening it to a regimented seismic measurement obviously but also a measurement similar to Mercalli, looking at human elements as well (hence the confidence level of how well prepared Japan was in comparison with Italy)

I literally have no idea what that means hahha. d'oh :eek:
The Mann Whitney was ridiculous but I'm guessing they'll be able to discern that from everyone's answers. Such an unfair advantage to those who do 4A/Biology/Psych/Stats. (I'm a humanities person so naturally a table of numbers is not my favourite thing to see...)

The globalisation questions were simple...it almost made me suspicious.

For the conflict essay, did anyone else find that the question was worded quite wierdly? aka AQA always obsess about conclusions and coming to a judgment in them but that's harder when you're just 'discussing' random issues. Was this just me or did other people feel the same way? The only other annoying thing is that in every essay you're told to make the case study support your point but the way the question was worded pretty much put the entire focus on the case studies itself.

Anyway, I did it into social/political/economic issues and came to a conclusion but we always got told that synopticity should kind of be inherent within your answer? It feels like alot of people have specifically gone out of their way to include it but my teacher always told us that if your essay was well written, they'd understand that you "think like a geographer" and as such, have a broader understanding of all the issues.

Sorry for how long this post is...all I really wanted to say was

eff you AQA.
Original post by Axion
I write fairly quickly. used a whole booklet and an extra two and a third pages of the other booklet

Well one of my friends used 5 pages of another booklet and used the whole of the original booklet.

Oh well, they gave a whole booklet that should have been more than enough space for everyone, so I'm gonna try and not feel guilty about not doubling the quantity of the stuff I wrote.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending