The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarah.102
Yeah that makes perfect sense. I really want to do well in this module in terms of predictions and not having to retake. If I master the edexcel papers so far, will that suffice? That was my only concern when I saw how people are tackling Solomon etc. I mean my initial plan was to make sure Edexcel papers I'm comfortable with and then having a look at some interesting Solomon questions, not really do Solomon as a strict paper as such

There really isn't that much difference between Solomon papers and normal papers. Occasionally, there are a few difficult questions in Solomon papers, but then the same can be said for edexcel papers. I think that mastering the edexcel papers will be enough. The worst case scenario will be that a difficult question comes up that you can't answer. But then if this happens, the likelihood is that a large number of other candidates won't be able to answer it as well and so the grade boundaries will be adjusted accordingly. So as long as you can still answer all the normal questions, you'll still be able to get an A*.
Original post by Namod
But you don't have physics exam, so you are way more luckier.

Maybe, but I've got 4 over next week with two of them being on the same day, which still need preparation for, so it's not going to be that fun really. Hopefully I can pull it off though!
Original post by brittanna
There really isn't that much difference between Solomon papers and normal papers. Occasionally, there are a few difficult questions in Solomon papers, but then the same can be said for edexcel papers. I think that mastering the edexcel papers will be enough. The worst case scenario will be that a difficult question comes up that you can't answer. But then if this happens, the likelihood is that a large number of other candidates won't be able to answer it as well and so the grade boundaries will be adjusted accordingly. So as long as you can still answer all the normal questions, you'll still be able to get an A*.

Thanks that's really, really reassuring. I'll focus more on the actual papers then. I was just getting worried that if I'm focusing on actual papers and so many people (mainly on here) are focusing on others I'm at a disadvantage and started having a bit of a panic attack, but what you're saying makes sense. Thanks so much.
Original post by ArcRaman
just part a, I don't really get the wording, i got the easy bit dx/dt = kx(1-x)

it says 1/4 of the crop is destroyed when the plague is located,

so i thought when t = y say, x = 1/4, and if the crop is destroyed in a further six hours, t=y+6 and x =1, i'm confused.

dxdtx(1x)\dfrac{dx}{dt} \propto x(1-x)

dxdt=kx(1x)\dfrac{dx}{dt} = kx(1-x)

1/4 of the crop is destroyed so far. It says that if the rate of change remains constant, it'll be completely destroyed in 6 hours.

There's 3/4 of the crop left.

So dxdt=346=18\dfrac{dx}{dt} = \dfrac{\frac{3}{4}}{6} = \dfrac{1}{8}

and x=3/4 obviously. So sub those two values in to find k.
Original post by justinawe
dxdtx(1x)\dfrac{dx}{dt} \propto x(1-x)

dxdt=kx(1x)\dfrac{dx}{dt} = kx(1-x)

1/4 of the crop is destroyed so far. It says that if the rate of change remains constant, it'll be completely destroyed in 6 hours.

There's 3/4 of the crop left.

So dxdt=346=18\dfrac{dx}{dt} = \dfrac{\frac{3}{4}}{6} = \dfrac{1}{8}

and x=3/4 obviously. So sub those two values in to find k.

so in 6 more hours, 3/4 of the crop will be destoryed and that will resemble the rate of change?
Original post by sarah.102
Thanks that will be brill :biggrin: Do you find elmwood papers to be useful?

here's another question like it ...
Original post by MathsNerd1
Why not as this is clearly just application of knowledge and seeing if you truly understand the content and not just learning a set routine to get a grade.

Yes it's been asked as part of a Solomon, however nothing in any text book asks you to do this. Application of knowledge however I wouldn't expect them to go this far
Original post by masryboy94
here's another question like it ...

Where are you finding these questions from exactly? They're not too hard, just time consuming really :smile:
Original post by BearOfStown
Yes it's been asked as part of a Solomon, however nothing in any text book asks you to do this. Application of knowledge however I wouldn't expect them to go this far

I wouldn't put it past them really as they're trying anything they can to separate the top students from the rest and this is what will do it really
Reply 2689
I'm doing the same really, only done like 2-3 past papers so Thursday could be rather interesting, but I'm confident on getting 90+% :tongue:

Animal. I've done all the Solomon and 2007 Papers for C4.

And I did all Solomon and the real papers for C3. In the 2009-2013 C3, my lowest score was 72/75.

Think I will do C4 papers tomorrow; I just need my brain to be in the state of mind of doing new questions so may do 2008/2009 C4 Papers tomorrow before the C3 Exam, and then just flip through my C3 papers.

I'm learning that on the Papers I scored very well in I was just in a "Problem Solving State of Mind", where my thoughts were just flowing continuously.

Hopefully I can get all the C4 Papers done by Saturday, all Chem 4 done by Sunday and all Phys 4 done by Friday evening. Then have 2-3 days just re-doing.
I wouldn't put it past them really as they're trying anything they can to separate the top students from the rest and this is what will do it really

Have you had a chance to look at the AQA c4 paper from yesterday? Few friends said it was horrible and I haven't seen it
Original post by ArcRaman
so in 6 more hours, 3/4 of the crop will be destoryed and that will resemble the rate of change?

yes, as the rate of change is constant. For a constant rate of change, you'd need to destroy 1/8 every hour to destroy 3/4 in 6 hours, right?
Original post by BearOfStown
Have you had a chance to look at the AQA c4 paper from yesterday? Few friends said it was horrible and I haven't seen it

Not really as I don't do that board so could be pointless in me checking it out really, maybe if I get some time on Friday I'll check it out but not before then really.
Where are you finding these questions from exactly? They're not too hard, just time consuming really :smile:

like i said, they are not hard, but they are questions that would give people alot more confidence with say the product rule because its unusual looking thats all. but the concept behind the question is not hard atall. and they are from elmwood papers
Original post by Better
Animal. I've done all the Solomon and 2007 Papers for C4.

And I did all Solomon and the real papers for C3. In the 2009-2013 C3, my lowest score was 72/75.

Think I will do C4 papers tomorrow; I just need my brain to be in the state of mind of doing new questions so may do 2008/2009 C4 Papers tomorrow before the C3 Exam, and then just flip through my C3 papers.

I'm learning that on the Papers I scored very well in I was just in a "Problem Solving State of Mind", where my thoughts were just flowing continuously.

Hopefully I can get all the C4 Papers done by Saturday, all Chem 4 done by Sunday and all Phys 4 done by Friday evening. Then have 2-3 days just re-doing.

My god, I've done nothing like this at all! I just do a few and if I'm consistently getting 97+% then I just tend to get a bit bored and move onto another exam to study for really, I haven't looked at FP2 since last week as I got 97% in the last past paper we did and there is only 2 left to go. Hopefully all your work pays off in the end! :biggrin:
like i said, they are not hard, but they are questions that would give people alot more confidence with say the product rule because its unusual looking thats all. but the concept behind the question is not hard atall. and they are from elmwood papers

I see and yeah that is quite true as they're quite involved questions when it comes to the differentiation really. I'm struggling to think of what could be in Thursdays exam to throw us off :redface:
I see and yeah that is quite true as they're quite involved questions when it comes to the differentiation really. I'm struggling to think of what could be in Thursdays exam to throw us off :redface:

i knowww !! can't think of any, and any weird questions i see i boom it on on TSR or ask the teacher, dont wanna risk leaving anything i dont understand out from all sorts of papers.
i knowww !! can't think of any, and any weird questions i see i boom it on on TSR or ask the teacher, dont wanna risk leaving anything i dont understand out from all sorts of papers.

I'll just wing it I think :tongue:
Reply 2698
My god, I've done nothing like this at all! I just do a few and if I'm consistently getting 97+% then I just tend to get a bit bored and move onto another exam to study for really, I haven't looked at FP2 since last week as I got 97% in the last past paper we did and there is only 2 left to go. Hopefully all your work pays off in the end! :biggrin:

Yeah but just like I said before, if you are doing Further Maths you don't need to do as much work because you are getting a lot of Practice.

Analogy:
Person A: Take someone who plays PS3/Xbox 24/7 with a variety of games on Difficult Mode.
Person B: Take someone who only plays PS3 with 1 game on Medium Difficulty.

If they are told to master a new game Person A will be better statistically - It's basic Neuroscience, the neural pathways you build from repetition are will be much stronger without you realizing it.

If your taking Further Maths and STEP you are person A. It doesn't make you better than anyone else, or even smarter; it just is what it is - Practice Makes Perfect.

Person B would have to do more work to get the same result, due to the lack of variety when it comes to assessing new scenarios and arguably a lower amount of hours; the latter may not even make that much of an impact compared to the former.

My IQ puts me in the 0.01% of the global population. That doesn't mean I can score better in Exams by Default; in the same way that Top Sprinters still have to train for years and years.
(edited 10 years ago)
can someone please explain to me what solomon papers are and are they a lot harder?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending