The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

C4 Solomon C question 4- part a (sorry can't seem to upload pictures)

Are supposed to cancel down the direction vector or does it matter if we don't? I've never seen an Edexcel one where we cancel down the direction vector so will it ever come up?
Original post by Mallika

Are supposed to cancel down the direction vector or does it matter if we don't? I've never seen an Edexcel one where we cancel down the direction vector so will it ever come up?

It doesn't matter if you don't,It just changes the value of lambda you get, but you will still end up with the right answer.
Original post by brittanna
It doesn't matter if you don't,It just changes the value of lambda you get, but you will still end up with the right answer.

That's what I thought but one of my answers for working out co-ordinates was really wrong :colondollar: It was probably just me!

Thank you!
Reply 2763
Original post by Mallika

I always simplify my direction vectors to the smallest whole numbers, because for one its make it easier to work with and 2 the markscheme usually right it with it there. As for your values for lambda it wont make a difference at all, when you need to find a certain point on the vector for example you will achieve a different lambda but it will be the right one when considering whether you simplified your direction vector or not. Basically it makes no difference.
Hey guys for iteration (c3) do we have to show working or can we go straight to what x1 is etc. from the calculator?
Reply 2765
Original post by sarah.102
Hey guys for iteration (c3) do we have to show working or can we go straight to what x1 is etc. from the calculator?

you gotta show how to sub in the first value like x1 but the next 2 or 3 you can just right the answers
finally understanding c4 papers :biggrin:

just need to stop making silly mistakes, and crack down on those 2-3 hard questions in each paper
Original post by cooldudeman
I got the negative solutions by doibg cast anticlockwise...
I thought you are supposed to since the range has negative part?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i did cosinverse(3/4) and then put that angle in the negative quadrants in the CAST diagram, where the angle was 41.409... which is the same as cosinverse(-3/4) and putting that in the correct place in the CAST diagram.
so the angle 41.409 should be in the 2nd and 3rd quadrants and u shud get ..
x + 45 = 180 -41.409... ->x = 93.6
x + 45 = 180 + 41.409 .... -> = 176.4
x + 45 =/= -180 + 41.409 since its not in the range.

range was -180 < x<180 ----> -135<x+45<225
Original post by internet001
i did cosinverse(3/4) and then put that angle in the negative quadrants in the CAST diagram, where the angle was 41.409... which is the same as cosinverse(-3/4) and putting that in the correct place in the CAST diagram.
so the angle 41.409 should be in the 2nd and 3rd quadrants and u shud get ..
x + 45 = 180 -41.409... ->x = 93.6
x + 45 = 180 + 41.409 .... -> = 176.4
x + 45 =/= -180 + 41.409 since its not in the range.

range was -180 < x<180 ----> -135<x+45<225

Yeah I realised I did something retarded

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yaboy
you gotta show how to sub in the first value like x1 but the next 2 or 3 you can just right the answers

Also just another quick question do you have to put units? e.g. I was asked to find the rate in a context and hence did so but didn't put units (apply it to the context) does that matter or would I lose a mark despite the maths being correct?
Reply 2770
Original post by sarah.102
Also just another quick question do you have to put units? e.g. I was asked to find the rate in a context and hence did so but didn't put units (apply it to the context) does that matter or would I lose a mark despite the maths being correct?

usually not unless they say state the value in meter or cm or whatever is in then you have to.
how do you draw something to the power of x ? for example 5^x ?
Original post by OG-Ashley
how do you draw something to the power of x ? for example 5^x ?

Asymtope at y=0

Its meant to say 1 instead of 'a' btw. On the y line

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2773
in the formula booklet of c3

how can e^xlna become a^x?
can someone show me the steps?

thanks a lot!
Reply 2774
Original post by Lamalam
in the formula booklet of c3

how can e^xlna become a^x?
can someone show me the steps?

thanks a lot!

As log laws from C2 apply for ln as well,

e^xlna= e^lna^x

Then the e and ln cancel to get..

a^x.

Hope that makes sense! :smile:
C1 and C2 are assumed knowledge for this paper and I was wondering if there is any C1/C2 formulae that everyone is revising? It would be my luck if I got stuck on a question because I couldn't remember the old formulae! Thanks :smile:
Original post by ChelseaSam
Anyone able to help me with Part B. I understand that the domain of f^-1(x) is equal to the range of f(x). The mark scheme says the domain is <= 4 however... the range for f(x) cannot equal 4 as x=/=1 and if you were to set your x value as say... -1.5 then your 4-ln(x) would be > 4. Am I mistaken or is the mark scheme incorrect? Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Anyone got any idea?? EDIT: x=/= -1 *
(edited 10 years ago)
Im hoping for one hard and one easy/normal paper for c3 c4 a paper like c3 june 12 would be so ideal easy 100 ums im startin to get annoyed at one thing obviously you should be prepared as much as possible but it really can be a lottery sometimes when your aiming for 95+ there could be a dificult 2-4 marks in one paper or tricky 2-4 marks thts easy to slip olup on but on another paper its virtually a walk in the park its not fair why exams differ in dificulty why not just make all of the exams difficult these questions on a levels are repetitive this doesnt apply to most ppl on here but for those c-a students its even more of a lottery a easy ppr could mean difference between a or c :/ this applies to all maths papersquite an annoying feat some people will be lucky andvget an easy ride to an a or 90+ grade boundaries dont change much at all aswell i know how theyvwork but i still think its dodgy
Sorry bout my spelling i cant type on my phone i cant correct it as it takes too long to click the part i want to redo
Original post by Revisionbug
Im hoping for one hard and one easy/normal paper for c3 c4 a paper like c3 june 12 would be so ideal easy 100 ums im startin to get annoyed at one thing obviously you should be prepared as much as possible but it really can be a lottery sometimes when your aiming for 95+ there could be a dificult 2-4 marks in one paper or tricky 2-4 marks thts easy to slip olup on but on another paper its virtually a walk in the park its not fair why exams differ in dificulty why not just make all of the exams difficult these questions on a levels are repetitive this doesnt apply to most ppl on here but for those c-a students its even more of a lottery a easy ppr could mean difference between a or c :/ this applies to all maths papersquite an annoying feat some people will be lucky andvget an easy ride to an a or 90+ grade boundaries dont change much at all aswell i know how theyvwork but i still think its dodgy

The reason they put these trick questions in is to test you have 100% knowledge of the exam. Why should you not be able to answer all of the questions and still get an A? This separates the top grade students from the rest

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending