The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cryl
Uhm, give them closed questions. e.g. to what extent are people comfortable with crime theft (1 - 10 rating scale) and put that in the Y axis, and plot different participant's morality in the X axis.

O.o Is that acceptable or would that be more appropriate in terms of bar chart?

It would depend on what type of data you're being asked for I guess? Correlations would ask for ordinal, interval or ratio.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 181
Original post by Meganebaker
It would depend on what type of data you're being asked for I guess? Correlations would ask for ordinal, interval or ratio.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright thanks!
Reply 182
Here's a list of what's come up in the past few years.. goes back further but I got bored :P

Jan 2010: Cognitive approach and Ecological validity
June 2010: Social approach and Observation research/Ethical research/Experimental method
Jan 2011: Developmental approach and Quantitative and Qualitative data
June 2011: Physiological approach and Self-report method
Jan 2012: Social approach and experimental method
June 2012: Cognitive approach and Snapshot studies
Jan 2013: Reliability and Individual Vs Situational
could someone tell me like what Sara's there are and the strengths and weaknesses like ordinal, nominal etc etc thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
Does anyone have a model answer for the Compare and contrast questions for the approach section, just to see how it's laid out? I think it's quite hard to structure, because you have already done your strengths and weakness for one of the approaches, and then you're asked to compare it to another one, so there's the possibility of repetition! Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by ames95
Someone please help.

I have 175/200 UMS for AS psychology (50%)

I have a U in G543 (25%)

What do I need to get a B overall in g544 (25%)

thanks xx

hey just worked it out for you, I'm pretty sure you need at least a B in G544 if you get a C you will get a C overall

a B is 55/70

:smile:
Reply 186
Does anyone have notes on self-report, observation and correlation? :smile:

or is anyone willing to explain all or one of those areas to me?

It will be greatly appreciated. ^.^
Reply 187
Original post by Cryl
Uhm, give them closed questions. e.g. to what extent are people comfortable with crime theft (1 - 10 rating scale) and put that in the Y axis, and plot different participant's morality in the X axis.

O.o Is that acceptable or would that be more appropriate in terms of bar chart?

Lol I have no idea :') If you can plot morality on a scattergraph and would be able to explain it well in your methodology, then your experiment should work. Also if the question specifically tells you to find a correlation between X and Y, then you can't use a bar chart.

If it wasn't a correlation question, I think it'd be a lot easier to do. For example, working from your idea, you could give each participant a questionnaire with a list of 10 crimes (give examples). You would then ask them (or write it on the questionnaire) if there was no punishment for committing these crimes, how likely is it that they would commit each crime on a scale of 1 to 10 (where 10 is the highest and 1 is the lowest)? Then for the results you would calculate an average for each crime and then plot it on a bar graph. I hope that makes sense haha.
Reply 189
Original post by Aliyaa
Lol I have no idea :') If you can plot morality on a scattergraph and would be able to explain it well in your methodology, then your experiment should work. Also if the question specifically tells you to find a correlation between X and Y, then you can't use a bar chart.

If it wasn't a correlation question, I think it'd be a lot easier to do. For example, working from your idea, you could give each participant a questionnaire with a list of 10 crimes (give examples). You would then ask them (or write it on the questionnaire) if there was no punishment for committing these crimes, how likely is it that they would commit each crime on a scale of 1 to 10 (where 10 is the highest and 1 is the lowest)? Then for the results you would calculate an average for each crime and then plot it on a bar graph. I hope that makes sense haha.

That's very helpful! Thanks!
Reply 190
What's the difference between one tailed and two tailed hypothesis ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 191
Original post by nasheboy
What's the difference between one tailed and two tailed hypothesis ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

One tailed is when you predict a certain outcome: Participants who score lower on morality will have a higher score on the crime test.

Two tailed - is when no outcome is predicted, thus it is neutral and uncertain: There will be a significant difference in the scores of participants' morality scores and their scores on the crime test.

(I think. Correct me if I'm wrong :smile:)
Reply 192
I'm sorry if this has been asked before. But does anyone have a list of topics(or predictions) that have not come up. Especially for Section A. But also Section B.

It'd be interesting if they throw in Free Will v Determinism. It would compliment the G543 paper very well.
Reply 193
Original post by Cryl
One tailed is when you predict a certain outcome: Participants who score lower on morality will have a higher score on the crime test.

Two tailed - is when no outcome is predicted, thus it is neutral and uncertain: There will be a significant difference in the scores of participants' morality scores and their scores on the crime test.

(I think. Correct me if I'm wrong :smile:)

Thank you, I think that's correct :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
Hey,

i took the G544 exam in January (2013) and i got 54/80 which was a C just wondered if anyone knows if the grade boundaries will be lower as i looked at them for last year June (2012) and 52/80 was a B?? i really need at least 60/80 for this exam any advice on this please? xxx
Reply 195
Original post by LilliRose
Hey,

i took the G544 exam in January (2013) and i got 54/80 which was a C just wondered if anyone knows if the grade boundaries will be lower as i looked at them for last year June (2012) and 52/80 was a B?? i really need at least 60/80 for this exam any advice on this please? xxx

I am asking this because i am re-taking this exam (forgot to mention that lol)
Any predictions for section A?
Reply 197
Original post by LilliRose
Hey,

If you look at the general pattern, the grade boundaries are getting slightly higher each year. The only exception is Jan 11 where it's been the highest of all. If you can get 60+ on that paper, then you'll be fine :smile:
Does any one know how much detail of the studies is actually required? For example when we describe the two studies from a specific approach and also the other questions where we use them to back up our points?

Btw I have a feeling that either Psychodynamic/Behaviorist perspective will come up... :s
Reply 199
June 2012 paper was such a gift! I hope cognitive comes up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending