The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Noticed that a few people have been asking for answer structures to questions in section B. I have a structure that my teacher gave me for every question so just PM me if you want it.

(Didn't want to put the whole thing on here as it's quite long)
Is gudjohnsson - false confessions a good a2 study for individual differences? Because my teacher recommended it but I literally have no idea as to how it relates to the approach?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 202
Original post by Aliyaa
If you look at the general pattern, the grade boundaries are getting slightly higher each year. The only exception is Jan 11 where it's been the highest of all. If you can get 60+ on that paper, then you'll be fine :smile:

Yeah its a shame i didn't just get a few marks higher! Thank you !
Reply 203
Hi all, just want to share this as many people are finding the psychodynamic perspective hard. Here is mine...

Outline psychodynamic approach

The main assumption is that behaviour can be explained in terms of inner conflicts of the unconscious mind the id, ego and superego. The id is the pleasure seeking desire, ego controls the desire of id and superego is seen as conscience that maintains balance between id and ego. The ego deploys defence mechanisms strategies such as repression and displacement to protect or minimise the psychological discomfort from the conflicts between superego and the id. It emphasises the structure of personality and early childhood experiences which are responsible for forming ‘models of the mind’.
Two pieces of research
One piece of research is by Thigpen and Cleckley who aimed to describe a specific disorder - multiple personality disorder. In a case study, the article outlines Eve’s 3 different personalities (Eve Black, Eve White and Jane) and how they each revealed themselves to the therapists. They tried to reveal the unconscious mental processes and the conflict between the id, ego and superego that may result in multiple personality disorder. They found that traumatic experiences in Eve White’s childhood caused her developing ego to split, creating two different ‘selves’ Eve White and Eve Black in the unconscious mind of the patient.

Another piece of research is by Yochelson and Samenow who aimed to investigate the make-up of criminality in 255 male participants over 14 years. His study was based on 255 male participants who confined to the hospital who had had been found guilty. A series of psychodynamic therapeutic practices were involved with the offenders where the purpose and goal was to locate the root cause of their criminality.
Reply 204
Does anyone have a 19 mark answer for correlation? :'(
Reply 205
Can anyone mark this?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/63506-question-paper-unit-g544-approaches-and-research-methods-in-psychology.pdf

Here's the scenario, and I chose option C.

My sample will be 17 - 16 year old college students in a large sixth for college. I will gather 20 of them, 10 which will be males and 10 will be females. I will use volunteer sampling to to publicise my experiment by sending a mass email to all students aged 16 - 17. I will select 20 participants but only those who consent to it. I will reply to their emails with a consent form and tell them the time (13.40) and the date (the next day) and the place (a room) of the experiment.

I will use independent measures design to split the participants into two groups: males and females, therefore this would be a quasi experiment. Once the participants are in the room, I will tell them to sit and show them 20 pictures of clothes on a powerpoint screen in front of them. Each slide will contain an article of clothing and will last for 30 seconds. After 20 pictures of clothing, I will hand the participants an A4 piece of paper with several closed questions including "In slide, was the colour of the clothing red or green? [] red [] green". There will be 20 questions in total regarding the appearance of the clothes shown, and a mark will be awarded for each correct answer. I will give the participants 60 seconds to complete the questions.

After 60 seconds, I will debrief the participants and collect their responses. I would then add up all the correct scores out of 20 for each gender (male and female) and calculate the mean. I will then put this data in a raw table, after which, I will put it into a bar chart. In the X axis, I will put genders 'male' and 'female' and put the mean total number of correct details identified in the Y axis, and make the bar chart accordingly.

I will use mann-whitney statistical test as my data is ordinal and I have independent measures design. My level of significance P < 0.05 to make sure my results are not due to chance.

[[I typed it exactly as I wrote it out. Help please! Mark out of 19? Improvements?]]
Reply 206
Original post by Cryl
Can anyone mark this?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/63506-question-paper-unit-g544-approaches-and-research-methods-in-psychology.pdf

Here's the scenario, and I chose option C.

My sample will be 17 - 16 year old college students in a large sixth for college. I will gather 20 of them, 10 which will be males and 10 will be females. I will use volunteer sampling to to publicise my experiment by sending a mass email to all students aged 16 - 17. I will select 20 participants but only those who consent to it. I will reply to their emails with a consent form and tell them the time (13.40) and the date (the next day) and the place (a room) of the experiment.

I will use independent measures design to split the participants into two groups: males and females, therefore this would be a quasi experiment. Once the participants are in the room, I will tell them to sit and show them 20 pictures of clothes on a powerpoint screen in front of them. Each slide will contain an article of clothing and will last for 30 seconds. After 20 pictures of clothing, I will hand the participants an A4 piece of paper with several closed questions including "In slide, was the colour of the clothing red or green? [] red [] green". There will be 20 questions in total regarding the appearance of the clothes shown, and a mark will be awarded for each correct answer. I will give the participants 60 seconds to complete the questions.

After 60 seconds, I will debrief the participants and collect their responses. I would then add up all the correct scores out of 20 for each gender (male and female) and calculate the mean. I will then put this data in a raw table, after which, I will put it into a bar chart. In the X axis, I will put genders 'male' and 'female' and put the mean total number of correct details identified in the Y axis, and make the bar chart accordingly.

I will use mann-whitney statistical test as my data is ordinal and I have independent measures design. My level of significance P < 0.05 to make sure my results are not due to chance.

[[I typed it exactly as I wrote it out. Help please! Mark out of 19? Improvements?]]

One thing I've noticed in terms of whether it's realistic, 60 seconds to answer 20 questions is pretty quick? :wink: And I'm not sure you need to put the test you'd use down.. But in general that seems like a very strong answer :smile:

I just use this guide, so make sure you've done it all!

In the b) question of Section A (13+6 marker), remember to include the following;

Sampling method you are going to use

How many participants?

Where will you find them?

How will you approach them?

What age range, what sex? Will you have equal numbers of each sex? Why? (more generalisable)

Why are you using the particular sampling method you are using?

What will you do when you have your participants?

Will you brief them and ask for consent or will this affect the results?

Will you ask them to meet you somewhere at a particular time or will you ask them to come with you now?

Will you take them to a room? What will the room be like? Or will you test them in the place you are currently at?

Will you test them separately or in a group?

Will you split them into groups or if it is an experiment, will you test the same participants in different conditions (repeated measures) or will you test different participants in different conditions (independent measures OR matched pairs)?

Will you carry out a pilot test?

How are you going to test the participants?

Self-report method of questionnaire/interview (make sure you tell the examiner some questions)

If it is an experiment, what is the IV and what is the DV?

What controls will you use to avoid extraneous variables? Will you use any controls? Why?

If it is a self-report, how will you give the questions to them? In what order and why?

If it is an observation, what behaviour will you record?

Will you split the behaviours up into categories and tally them?

How will you collect the data?

Will you debrief the participants or tell them the full aim at the end? [ETHICS]

my teacher says she was fairly confident that cognitive approach wont come up this year in section b. and predicts either one of the perspectives (behavourist/psychodynamic) . but for me section b isnt that hard part, im more worried about the second part to section a, the (13+6) marker. im not very creative and i always forget some elements of the method to include :frown:
Reply 208
Can anyone give a model answer for a similarities and differences question between the Individual Differences approach and the Physiological Approach? Just so I know how i'd structure it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes the same for me! I can't really structure the compare question too well...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mkhan9035
Can anyone give a model answer for a similarities and differences question between the Individual Differences approach and the Physiological Approach? Just so I know how i'd structure it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Point - explain the similarity or difference
Example - first link it to one of the approaches and then illustrate your point with a study
Example - repeat the above but for the next approach ( eg similarly/in contrast the physiological approach.... link with study)
Then repeat this PEE structure for a second paragraph

You can compare on the basis of explanations they give for behaviours, on the basis of methods used, or on the basis of evaluation such as the strengths and weaknesses of the approaches, eg they both use a range of data

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 211
Original post by Joe Maz
One thing I've noticed in terms of whether it's realistic, 60 seconds to answer 20 questions is pretty quick? :wink: And I'm not sure you need to put the test you'd use down.. But in general that seems like a very strong answer :smile:

I just use this guide, so make sure you've done it all!

In the b) question of Section A (13+6 marker), remember to include the following;

Sampling method you are going to use

How many participants?

Where will you find them?

How will you approach them?

What age range, what sex? Will you have equal numbers of each sex? Why? (more generalisable)

Why are you using the particular sampling method you are using?

What will you do when you have your participants?

Will you brief them and ask for consent or will this affect the results?

Will you ask them to meet you somewhere at a particular time or will you ask them to come with you now?

Will you take them to a room? What will the room be like? Or will you test them in the place you are currently at?

Will you test them separately or in a group?

Will you split them into groups or if it is an experiment, will you test the same participants in different conditions (repeated measures) or will you test different participants in different conditions (independent measures OR matched pairs)?

Will you carry out a pilot test?

How are you going to test the participants?

Self-report method of questionnaire/interview (make sure you tell the examiner some questions)

If it is an experiment, what is the IV and what is the DV?

What controls will you use to avoid extraneous variables? Will you use any controls? Why?

If it is a self-report, how will you give the questions to them? In what order and why?

If it is an observation, what behaviour will you record?

Will you split the behaviours up into categories and tally them?

How will you collect the data?

Will you debrief the participants or tell them the full aim at the end? [ETHICS]

That's awesome, I'll memorise them. Thanks!

i'm out of rep atm, I"ll rep later in the evening!
Reply 212
Original post by GabrielleDsouza
my teacher says she was fairly confident that cognitive approach wont come up this year in section b. and predicts either one of the perspectives (behavourist/psychodynamic) . but for me section b isnt that hard part, im more worried about the second part to section a, the (13+6) marker. im not very creative and i always forget some elements of the method to include :frown:

Agreed. I could do section A really well with my old teacher. But then I switched teachers and she's quite good but she didn't focus on section A. ;/ Are you supposed to be spending 13 minutes or 19 minutes on the 13+6 marker?
Reply 213
Does anyone know if case study can come up in section A?
I'm sure it's only Self report, Experiment and Correlation right?
Does anyone know if to get 100 UMS on this paper you need to achieve full marks?
Original post by aisha302
Does anyone know if case study can come up in section A?
I'm sure it's only Self report, Experiment and Correlation right?

I don't think they will ask you to conduct a piece of research that is conducted in the style of a case-study. They may ask you about case studies in section B however.

For section A they could ask you about self reports; interviews (semi-structured, structured, unstructured), questionnaires, an observation; unstructured or structured, experiment, or a correlation.
Hi, in the mark schemes for this paper, part of what is meant to be included in the big design a project question (2) is what 'methods of learning and testing' you would use.

Could somebody please explain to me what is meant by this?

I have seen this in every mark scheme, regardless of whether it is meant to be a correlation/questionnaire/experiment etc. so I'm guessing it's important!

Reply 217
Can someone quickly explain how to talk about nature vs nurture in relation to developmental approach?

Topics that haven't come up in section B from jan 2010 to Jan 2013. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nature and nurture
Psychodynamic perspectives
Behaviorist perspectives
Individual differences
Self report
Ethics
Case study
Reductionism

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 219
Original post by venny24
Hi all, just want to share this as many people are finding the psychodynamic perspective hard. Here is mine...

Outline psychodynamic approach

The main assumption is that behaviour can be explained in terms of inner conflicts of the unconscious mind the id, ego and superego. The id is the pleasure seeking desire, ego controls the desire of id and superego is seen as conscience that maintains balance between id and ego. The ego deploys defence mechanisms strategies such as repression and displacement to protect or minimise the psychological discomfort from the conflicts between superego and the id. It emphasises the structure of personality and early childhood experiences which are responsible for forming ‘models of the mind’.
Two pieces of research
One piece of research is by Thigpen and Cleckley who aimed to describe a specific disorder - multiple personality disorder. In a case study, the article outlines Eve’s 3 different personalities (Eve Black, Eve White and Jane) and how they each revealed themselves to the therapists. They tried to reveal the unconscious mental processes and the conflict between the id, ego and superego that may result in multiple personality disorder. They found that traumatic experiences in Eve White’s childhood caused her developing ego to split, creating two different ‘selves’ Eve White and Eve Black in the unconscious mind of the patient.

Another piece of research is by Yochelson and Samenow who aimed to investigate the make-up of criminality in 255 male participants over 14 years. His study was based on 255 male participants who confined to the hospital who had had been found guilty. A series of psychodynamic therapeutic practices were involved with the offenders where the purpose and goal was to locate the root cause of their criminality.

Ooh. Thanks. Do you know the strengths and weaknesses?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending