The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by lankan-gurl
No problem :smile:

Yep Brunner & Gudjonsson as the A2 studies for ind differences and you know the AS studies; griffiths, T & C and Rosenhan.

I think that Brunner's study is fairly ethical because like you said they simply investigated the gene. I can't really see any reason as to why it was unethical..

Great. I'm not using any AS studies. I've already remembered too many A2 studies. :P
Reply 241
My predictions:

Approaches:
Except social and cognitive anything could come up as they've come up twice

Debates:
Determinism vs free will
Reduction vs holism
Nature vs nurture
Ethnocentrism
Psychology as science

Issues:
Longitudinal studies
Ethics
Validity

Methods:
Case study
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cryl
Great. I'm not using any AS studies. I've already remembered too many A2 studies. :P

Ohh I think I remember more AS studies then A2 haha.. but I don't think it matters does it? As long as you balance the two?
Reply 243
Original post by Cryl
Here's what I have for developmental approach:

:smile: - useful - look at the development of behaviour and cure it - Kohlberg - identify immoral individuals at an early age - Farrington - role models cause criminal behaviour - rehabilitate role models

:smile: - Often uses longitudinal data - indepth, qualitative, precise data - increases usefulness - Farrington - Watson & Raynar

:frown: - Due to the use longitudinal data, many studies have limited generalisability as many participants drop out - Farrington

one more weakness please and/or correct any of my evaluation points!

This is what I wrote in a essay last year for AS:

A limitation with the developmental approach is the validity of measuring children’s behaviour and thoughts. We can therefore question if psychologists are actually measuring what they are attempting to measure especially as children may have qualitatively different thoughts to adults. For example, Bandura’s study could be criticised for interpreting the children’s behaviour towards the Bobo doll as aggression. Perhaps the children interpreted their own behaviour as play. Similarly we can question Freud’s interpretation of Hans’ behaviour as the case study is really Freud's interpretations of Hans' father's interpretation of his son's own phobia. Again this seriously reduces the validity of the study.

This will need to adapted for a2 and I wouldn't use the Freud example if I was writing this again as its quite a weak one, but other a2 studies could be used for lack of validity, perhaps Kohlberg?

I don't know if that helps, my other points for this essay were useful, use of longitudinal data which increases detail and lack of generalizability, so what you put :smile:
Reply 244
Original post by lankan-gurl
Ohh I think I remember more AS studies then A2 haha.. but I don't think it matters does it? As long as you balance the two?

No, not at all. It should be fine - it's because I remembered so many studies for the G543 exam!
Reply 245
Original post by AvaSofia
This is what I wrote in a essay last year for AS:

A limitation with the developmental approach is the validity of measuring children’s behaviour and thoughts. We can therefore question if psychologists are actually measuring what they are attempting to measure especially as children may have qualitatively different thoughts to adults. For example, Bandura’s study could be criticised for interpreting the children’s behaviour towards the Bobo doll as aggression. Perhaps the children interpreted their own behaviour as play. Similarly we can question Freud’s interpretation of Hans’ behaviour as the case study is really Freud's interpretations of Hans' father's interpretation of his son's own phobia. Again this seriously reduces the validity of the study.

This will need to adapted for a2 and I wouldn't use the Freud example if I was writing this again as its quite a weak one, but other a2 studies could be used for lack of validity, perhaps Kohlberg?

I don't know if that helps, my other points for this essay were useful, use of longitudinal data which increases detail and lack of generalizability, so what you put :smile:

Ooh. Good point. I'll use it - and you could also add a point about ethics and children, as children may be caused psychological harm. Watson & Raynar for development of phobias and Kohlberg will go well with this point! Thanks!
Reply 246
Original post by Cryl
Ooh. Good point. I'll use it - and you could also add a point about ethics and children, as children may be caused psychological harm. Watson & Raynar for development of phobias and Kohlberg will go well with this point! Thanks!

oooh ethics is a good weakness to use! :smile: is W&R developmental?
Reply 247
Original post by AvaSofia
oooh ethics is a good weakness to use! :smile: is W&R developmental?

It's behaviourist. But they did conduct a longitudinal study as he was observed for over 2 months, I think. So I'm going to argue that it's also developmental as they looked at development of phobias to previously unfeared object i.e. whether time removed the phobic response.
Reply 248
Struggling on one strength for individual differences, apart from that it's useful. I have that it allows us to understand rare, abnormal behaviour hence broadening psychological knowledge (but that's same as usefulness). I guess I could say it uses psychometric tests, but I don't see how that's a strength, and I don't have any examples from A2 studies. Actually, does Gudjohnsson's Suggestibility Scale classify as a psychometric test?
Hey guys, I wrote some strengths and weaknesses of the individual differences approach, but I don't think they are detailed enough. Can someone help me please?

strengths:
This approach treats individuals as unique rather than “average”. For example, T&C studied “Eve” in depth including over 100 hours of interviews. Chris Sizemore the real “Eve” yielded rich and detailed quantitative qualitative data.
This approach recognises that there is enormous variation in human behaviour. For example. Mental hospital staffs use two main classification systems for diagnosing mental health disorders such as ICD and DSM. They are constantly revised to keep pace with changing thinking about mental health.
This approach uses a variety of research methods. For example, Eve and Hans were case studies as researchers studied them in depth; Eve and Griffiths both used interviews. Rosenhan used PPS observation. Different research methods allow us to see problems in different aspects.

weaknesses:
It’s difficult to generalise from single cases. For example, Freud’s study tells us very little about childhood phobia in general. Eve’s MPD may have been very different from other cases. As researchers study individuals in depth but very difficult to generalise as findings from the study may only apply to that individual.
However, identifying mental health disorder can lead to labelling. The pseudo patients had a label of schizophrenia and therefore their behaviours were interpreted accordingly. In extreme cases, the labelling is difficult to remove and tend to follow the patient even s/he is no longer suffer from the disorders.
However many data from this approach is qualitative and this brings problems for analysis. For example, Griffiths categorised the utterances himself, other researchers may not be able to understand the category as he created it himself. This lead to low inter-rater reliability. Qualitative data are difficult to analyse and may lead to false interpretation and researcher bias.

Many thanks
Reply 250
anyone think they know whats going to come up? im having a mareeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, and cba to learn he whole course so bell me asap. PENG.. are you an araaaaaaaaaaaaab? cluck.
Reply 252
Original post by smallfish008
Hey guys, I wrote some strengths and weaknesses of the individual differences approach, but I don't think they are detailed enough. Can someone help me please?

strengths:
This approach treats individuals as unique rather than “average”. For example, T&C studied “Eve” in depth including over 100 hours of interviews. Chris Sizemore the real “Eve” yielded rich and detailed quantitative qualitative data.
This approach recognises that there is enormous variation in human behaviour. For example. Mental hospital staffs use two main classification systems for diagnosing mental health disorders such as ICD and DSM. They are constantly revised to keep pace with changing thinking about mental health.
This approach uses a variety of research methods. For example, Eve and Hans were case studies as researchers studied them in depth; Eve and Griffiths both used interviews. Rosenhan used PPS observation. Different research methods allow us to see problems in different aspects.

weaknesses:
It’s difficult to generalise from single cases. For example, Freud’s study tells us very little about childhood phobia in general. Eve’s MPD may have been very different from other cases. As researchers study individuals in depth but very difficult to generalise as findings from the study may only apply to that individual.
However, identifying mental health disorder can lead to labelling. The pseudo patients had a label of schizophrenia and therefore their behaviours were interpreted accordingly. In extreme cases, the labelling is difficult to remove and tend to follow the patient even s/he is no longer suffer from the disorders.
However many data from this approach is qualitative and this brings problems for analysis. For example, Griffiths categorised the utterances himself, other researchers may not be able to understand the category as he created it himself. This lead to low inter-rater reliability. Qualitative data are difficult to analyse and may lead to false interpretation and researcher bias.

Many thanks

Freud is psychodynamic and developmental rather than ID o:
Reply 253
I don't think anyone should try and predict what will come up purely because OCR don't seem to be using a method where material that hasn't come up is more likely to be in the exam.. For example, the health questions in the G543 paper when there was stress questions and others that hadn't come up.

Just putting it out there, revise everything. Too risky if you're going for a good grade.
Reply 254
Hmm, struggling with strengths and weaknesses of free will, apart from usefulness. I have that it supports our education system - but I have no studies to back this up. Same with that it's difficult to "pinpoint" free will - no studies. Ugh, help?
Reply 255
Original post by Joe Maz
I don't think anyone should try and predict what will come up purely because OCR don't seem to be using a method where material that hasn't come up is more likely to be in the exam.. For example, the health questions in the G543 paper when there was stress questions and others that hadn't come up.

Just putting it out there, revise everything. Too risky if you're going for a good grade.

But there's only so much they can ask and as a lot of college's complained that the Jan 2013 G544 paper had 2 debates OCR faced a lot of criticism, so its not likely they'll make the mistake again of not putting an approach up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 256
Original post by mkhan9035
But there's only so much they can ask and as a lot of college's complained that the Jan 2013 G544 paper had 2 debates OCR faced a lot of criticism, so its not likely they'll make the mistake again of not putting an approach up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I agree with that, it is much more likely they'll put an approach in this exam! But I don't think it's wise for people to have a guess at which one as there doesn't seem to be a very strong pattern aha :smile:
Reply 257
Original post by Joe Maz
Yeah I agree with that, it is much more likely they'll put an approach in this exam! But I don't think it's wise for people to have a guess at which one as there doesn't seem to be a very strong pattern aha :smile:

Yeah so I guess what your trying to say is revise the approaches but don't make any random guesses! Seems legit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 258
Has anyone got the Jan 2013 G544 paper? thanks and what do you guys think will come up?
Original post by Joe Maz

I've heard that they write the exam papers 2 years in advance, so it wouldn't matter how many complaints they got about having the debate in the January paper as they can't change it now... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending