The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Physics P4P5P6 - 18/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by andersson
It allows the current to flow through the C and the E, but I have a feeling the current from the B also flows out the E, because the current at the E = the current at the C + the current at the B.

I think we're the victims of GCSE over-simplification again because they don't tell us what happens to the current at the B. :frown:

Wait, so does the base current only act as a gate allowing current to flow from the collector to the emitter (rather than the base sending a current to both the emitter and collector)? :redface:

Yeah, can't wait until the physics exam is over tomorrow- no more simplification (on the same scale) at A Level! :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 541
Original post by ryanb97
Last years exam..137... Oh I might need a very low A:dontknow::colondollar::smug::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that case I'll (approximately) need a high-A to a low-A* (l'evil :wink: ) for my A* overall :biggrin:
Reply 542
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Well I thought chem was too easy :redface: but yeah probably

Think I got over 70 in chem so I should be fine:smile:
Reply 543
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Wait, so does the base current only act as a gate allowing current to flow from the collector to the emitter (rather than the base sending a current to both the emitter and collector)? :redface:

Yeah, can't wait until the physics exam is over tomorrow- no more simplification (on the same scale) at A Level! :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah think of it that way, that's good! It metaphorically opens a gate for the current to flow through the C and the E - but don't forget, the current supplied to the B also flows out the E.

We're doing almost identical A levels (I think they actually are identical:confused:) so I'll see you on the future threads and we can enjoy the better explained stuff together :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imagine:

|/
|\

The | bits, are the base, imagine there's no gap between those two || lines... Now when there's a small current, it pushed it connecting the emitter and.collecter. Or the \ and /
These boundaries are gonna be incredibly low... I'd say 50 an A* is very likely

I mean even us here were struggling with P6

50 seems high!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 546
Original post by Zippyzazu
hahahahahaha yes. :confused:

:awesome:
Reply 547
So im thinking this is everyones last exam :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In that case I'll (approximately) need a high-A to a low-A* (l'evil :wink: ) for my A* overall :biggrin:

I see, thanks- that's it for my last minute revision today :smile:

We're both taking the same A levels (I remember talking about it on the chemistry thread)- the only subject where we're on different exam boards is physics :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imagine:

|/
|\

The | bits, are the base, imagine there's no gap between those two || lines... Now when there's a small current, it pushed it connecting the emitter and.collecter. Or the \ and /

That's an interesting way of explaining it- but it makes more sense now, thanks :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ryanb97
So im thinking this is everyones last exam :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Na, L'Evil Fish and I both have statistics a week later :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 551

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by benwalters1996

I meant sub 50:smile:
That's an interesting way of explaining it- but it makes more sense now, thanks :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Np!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:frown:
Reply 553
Yay, I've completely finished the CGP question booklet!

My weakest topics are definitely the motor/generator/EM induction ones, they're the most abstract topics so they're harder to understand. :frown:
Reply 554
Yay, I've completely finished the CGP question booklet!

My weakest topics are definitely the motor/generator/EM induction ones, they're the most abstract topics so they're harder to understand. :frown:

I think mine are lens' and stuff...capacitors

Im going to go over it all now

I dont think the "have a good nighys sleep before the night of your exam" makes a difference to me :smug::mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't be bothered to give a full response but this is what is include :tongue: -
Light- transverse wave with the particles vibrating at 90 degrees to the direction of the wave
Sound- longitudinal wave with particles vibrating parallel to the directions of the wave

Light- longer the wavelength, the lower the frequency. This wave carries less energy but can be used in communications.
Sound- shorter wavelength, high the frequency so the wave carries more energy and can be used in medical applications- eg ultrasound

Amplitude- only affects sound waves (I think)- higher amplitude results in a louder sound

Light waves can travel through vacuum and moves as an EM wave. Sound can't travel through vacuum and moves as vibrating particles containing compressions and rarefactions

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 556

That's a great question, I hope it comes up! I wrote 2/3rds of a sheet of A4 and still had loads more to write about :lol:
Reply 557
Original post by ryanb97
I think mine are lens' and stuff...capacitors

Im going to go over it all now

I dont think the "have a good nighys sleep before the night of your exam" makes a difference to me :smug::mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me neither, as long as I have coffee in the morning I'll be ready and raring to go!
Reply 558

Amplitude- only affects sound waves (I think)- higher amplitude results in a louder sound

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think a higher amplitude means the wave has more energy, so for light it might make it brighter
Reply 559
I'm going to go to sleep now. Good Luck to everyone for the exam!! Thanks everyone for the help in all the sciences :smile: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending