The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1860
Original post by thers
Anyone want to revise?

Yeah man go for it.

Why are triglycerides not soluble in water?
Reply 1861
Sorry to be a pain but somebody posted some word documents consisting and questions and answers for different topics and I can't find them.... Total respect for anyone who can tell me the page number on the thread which has these documents
Reply 1863
Original post by Mus1995
Yeah man go for it.

Why are triglycerides not soluble in water?

Triglycerides are non polar so cannot interact with polar water molecules (via hydrogen bonding) so are hydrophobic.

Turns out I've got to go now for a while - shouldn't have bothered saying who want to revise now.

I will give you a Q before I go tho

Define the term biodegradable polymer. [1]
Suggest two reasons why biodegradable polymers are inreasing in importance. [2]
Reply 1864

Look at the functional group attached to the benzene ring tha should give you an insight into the question. One has a carboxy group and other has oh group which is a phenol so with both naoh or na can bond. Only asprin na2co3 and only phenol 3br2
Reply 1865
Original post by Raj Kang
For nh2 and oh groups these are singlets because they have no adjacent protons by the n+1 rule. Splitting can only occur on adjacent protons, so the next carbon which has protons attached. If no protons are on adjacent carbons on ether side then that specific type of proton is going to be a singlet

Isn't the amine group in methionine attached to a carbon with a proton attached, though? So why isn't it a doublet? Sorry, my quote apparently didn't include the attachment. It was Q3 e iii on the Jan 13 paper.
Reply 1866
Original post by thers
Triglycerides are non polar so cannot interact with polar water molecules (via hydrogen bonding) so are hydrophobic.

Turns out I've got to go now for a while - shouldn't have bothered saying who want to revise now.

I will give you a Q before I go tho

Define the term biodegradable polymer. [1]
Suggest two reasons why biodegradable polymers are inreasing in importance. [2]

Correct.

It's alright.

A biodegradable polymer is a polymer that breaks down completely into Carbon Dioxide and Water.

Increased importance due to rising oil prices and need for reusable plastics. Biodegradable plastics can be recycled and reused.
Reply 1867
Look at the functional group attached to the benzene ring tha should give you an insight into the question. One has a carboxy group and other has oh group which is a phenol so with both naoh or na can bond. Only asprin na2co3 and only phenol 3br2

thanks.. but aspirin and paracetamol both have a carbonyl group so why does the paracetamol only react with br2?
Reply 1868
Original post by rukan
thanks.. but aspirin and paracetamol both have a carbonyl group so why does the paracetamol only react with br2?

Becuase paracetamol has phenol group and can decolourise orange bromine water and asprin had benze ring attached to carboxyl and cannot hence asprin does no react with br2
Reply 1869
Original post by wl1
Isn't the amine group in methionine attached to a carbon with a proton attached, though? So why isn't it a doublet? Sorry, my quote apparently didn't include the attachment. It was Q3 e iii on the Jan 13 paper.

Think of it like this, groups that have nh2 or oh attached are always going to have splitting pattern of singlet. This is because it has to be adjacent to proton on the next carbon atom
Reply 1870
Any predictions what is going to come up?
Reply 1871
Becuase paracetamol has phenol group and can decolourise orange bromine water and asprin had benze ring attached to carboxyl and cannot hence asprin does no react with br2

oh okkk i get you now :smile: thanks
Reply 1872
Original post by D4rth
Well you've got 21 hours remaining. Ideally you should've completed all the past papers.
I would read over the specification, if there is something you don't know go and learn it quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have finished all of them. I'm going to do them again.
Reply 1873
is there a formula or way of deducing how many isomers a compound would have or is it just a matter of actually drawing it out?
Reply 1874
Any Predictions?
Here are the January 2013 papers for F324.
Reply 1876
Original post by Nuna
help...I really don't understand the mark scheme for Q4ai and 4aii on the January 2011 paper??

.....anyone ? :frown:
Reply 1877
Brady's reagent = 2,4-dnp?
Reply 1878
How many substitutions could take place on Benzene ring? could it be all 6? So could you end up with C6H6 --> C6(NO2)6?? as an example?
Reply 1879
Original post by ofudge
How many substitutions could take place on Benzene ring? could it be all 6? So could you end up with C6H6 --> C6(NO2)6?? as an example?

I don't know but the more groups on the benzene ring the harder it will be for another group to bond to it.

Latest

Trending

Trending