The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1680
Original post by orange94
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371561322.970061.jpg

Do we need to know Al complex? HELP HELP HELP!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.
Original post by flower123456
image.jpg

Can someone help me answer question 4 please. It's from the jan 2012 paper.

If Iodide (I-) is being turned into iodine then it must be getting oxidized therefore hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizing agent

Iodine to Iodide is the opposite... therefore thiosulfate is a reducing agent
Original post by posthumus
If Iodide (I-) is being turned into iodine then it must be getting oxidized therefore hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizing agent

Iodine to Iodide is the opposite... therefore thiosulfate is a reducing agent

Thank you! Seems so simple now :smile:
Can someone outline the process of steam distillation for me? And why is it better than normal distillation?
Reply 1684
Original post by flower123456
image.jpg

Can someone help me answer question 4 please. It's from the jan 2012 paper.

H2O2 is liberating Iodine from KI. KI is an ionic compound so it must contain I-, which is then turned into molecular I2. This oxidation, as there's a loss of electrons. So H2O2 is oxidising agent.

The thiosulfate equation is:

2 S2O32− + I2 S4O62− + 2 I

Here Iodine is being reduced as it gains electrons. So thiosulfate is reducing agent.

Answer is B.
Original post by Qwob
H2O2 is liberating Iodine from KI. KI is an ionic compound so it must contain I-, which is then turned into molecular I2. This oxidation, as there's a loss of electrons. So H2O2 is oxidising agent.

The thiosulfate equation is:

2 S2O32− + I2 S4O62− + 2 I

Here Iodine is being reduced as it gains electrons. So thiosulfate is reducing agent.

Answer is B.

Thank you that's a really good explanation.:smile:
Reply 1686
Original post by bubblegummer
Why is scantium a d-block element but not a transition metal?

Lol is this really a question. Pretty standard stuff.

First if all you have to understand what the definition of a transition metal is

A transition metal is one which forms one or more stable ions which have incompletely filled d orbitals.

Sc as an ion is sc3+ which has an empty d- orbital!

You must remember that it had the electronic configuration [Ar] 3d1 4s2

When it loses its 3electrons it's left with [Ar]

Get it now ?? Looool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Polish master
Does anyone know which is correct out of these two when it comes to the coupling stage in azo dye production ?

1. Diazonium salt + Phenol -------> dye + HCl (this one is from the textbook)
2. Diazonium salt + Phenol + NaOH ---------> dye + NaCl + H20 (this one is from the GCP)

Both books have been prone to errors for unit 5 and I'm not sure which one to go for.

Definitely first as far as I know. And it's "Alcoholic" phenol.
Reply 1688
Original post by orange94
Lol is this really a question. Pretty standard stuff.

Get it now ?? Looool

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now that wasn't very nice...
What do we need to know about Combinatorial chemistry? Something tells me there's going to be a gigantic question tomorrow where we have to explain the processes related and such. My 2 textbooks explain it very vaguely, and so I don't have a very good idea about it. Sooo, what do we need to know about it?
Can someone explain what solvent extraction is used for? Thanks.
Reply 1691
Original post by johnny-marr
Can someone outline the process of steam distillation for me? And why is it better than normal distillation?

You just heat water and pass the steam into whatever you were originally going to distill, the advantage is that, if what you were originally going to distill decomposes at High temperatures, the steam will lower its boiling temp so it will distill without decomposing and give you a higher yield.
Reply 1692
Original post by doodledee1
on the jan 2013 paper there are a couple of multi choice questions I am confused about, firstly question 2c (i thought was C, correct answer B) and also question 11 (I thought was B, correct answer D). Could someone please explain them , thanks!

For 2c remember that standard electrode potential of chromium means only 1 mole of it, so you use half of 396 (as that would be for cr2)

For 11 I think the amide group is the c=o next to the n-h bond, that entire structure kind of forms an n substituted amide. There is no ketone group as a ketone is a C=O with the carbon attached to 2 other carbon atoms which is not present in the molecule.
Original post by 994
June 2012, Question 9a

How many main peaks on the nmr of caffeine

2762115755_162d5e3423_o.png

The answer's 4, but I thought the Hs on the CH3 are all the same because they're all bonded to carbons, which are all bonded to nitrogens, which are themselves all bonded to only carbons?

The three -CH3 groups are in their own environment.

If you look to the carbon on the far right hand side, you'll see it has only 3 visible bonds attached to it, which means that it must contain a hydrogen atom (which wasn't drawn in the picture to confuse you!)
I keep getting As in the past papers I'm doing... but the real thing is always so much harder than the past ones :cry2:

By the way, do we need to know all the reactions from AS? Like how to convert alkenes to halogenoalkanes and all that crap?
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
I keep getting As in the past papers I'm doing... but the real thing is always so much harder than the past ones :cry2:

By the way, do we need to know all the reactions from AS? Like how to convert alkenes to halogenoalkanes and all that crap?

Yep, learn all of that, it's a synoptic paper after all :colone:
Reply 1696
Hello everyone :smile:
are you guys learning preparation of chromium (II) ethanoate?
Original post by 994
I get the H on its own. So even though they all have this in common

Untitled.jpg

the Hs circled are still different environments?

Yeah, all in their own environments. So three seperate CH3 environments. + the one on the far right as you were saying.
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!

Yes

And also, does anyone know whether the dyes are precipitates, or solutions when the products are formed from coupling reaction?
Original post by posthumus
One Cl- will react with the NO3Ag to form AgCl :smile:

A [Cr(OH)6]3-
B [Cr(H2O)6]3+
C [CrCl(H2O)5]2+
D [CrCl2(H2O)4]+

Lets re-write including the Cl- ions:

b) [Cr(H2O)6]Cl3
c) [Cr(H2O)6]Cl2
d) [Cr(H2O)6]Cl

As you can see for c) 1 mole of [Cr(H2O)6]Cl2 will give you 2 moles of AgCl (as it has 2 Cl- ions).

And also b) will give 3 moles, d) will give 1 mole.

Hope that helps :smile:

I'm stuck on this question too but still don't understand- why did you write the Cl outside of the square brackets? Are the Cl ions bonded to the chromium at this point?
Anyone?!
Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending