The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2420
guys is there any tips to stop pre-exam tension? i always seem to panic during my exams!!!

plus can we chew gum during exams?
whenever we come across NMR questions what is the sequence for things u look e.g. which one do we need to look first splitting pattern etc. ???
Original post by MathsNerd1
Does anyone else feel quite relaxed for this exam when they know absolutely nothing but need a top mark to get an A? For some reason there is no urgency in me today :redface:

I agree, maybe when I see the NMR tomorrow I probably wont be feeling that way anymore :P
Original post by thers
Write an equation for the nitration of benzene
Hence calculate the atom economy for the formation of nitrobenzene. [3]

C6H6 + HNO3 (conc sulphuric acid catalyst) ---> C6H5NO2 + H20 and I'm not sure about the atom economy, would it be 50%?
Hey guys, can someone please explain to me why in question 5biv (feature that causes stereoisomersism in citral) we have to circle the double bond that's on the right and not the one on the left? Here's the link to the paper: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/58126-question-paper-unit-f324-rings-polymers-and-analysis.pdf

Thank you :smile:
Original post by freetown
I agree, maybe when I see the NMR tomorrow I probably wont be feeling that way anymore :P

I enjoy those as they're just a puzzle :tongue:
Reply 2426
Original post by otrivine
No I mean, I understand i use the chemical shift to identify the type of proton environment but how would I know which side to put them like I got the correct structure but my benzene ring is in a different place

Okay, there isn't anything on the NMR spectra telling you where benzene goes.

But the peak at Delta 4 tells you where that environment goes.

It is a HC-O group so that means the benzene ring can not go there and has to go onto the carbon on COOH.

Reply 2427
C6H6 + HNO3 (conc sulphuric acid catalyst) ---> C6H5NO2 + H20 and I'm not sure about the atom economy, would it be 50%?

all you do is the desired over all products x100. in which case the by product is water
Reply 2428
Original post by MasterYi

Okay, there isn't anything on the NMR spectra telling you where benzene goes.

But the peak at Delta 4 tells you where that environment goes.

It is a HC-O group so that means the benzene ring can not go there and has to go onto the carbon on COOH.

I see!! makes sense now, thanks
Reply 2429
So TLC - adsorption, G-C = rel. solubility?
Reply 2430

Eqn is correct

atom economy = Mr desired product/Mr all products x 100
Reply 2431
Original post by Onkar-M
So TLC - adsorption, G-C = rel. solubility?

Yep! TLC stationary phase is solid whereas GC stationary phase is a liquid.
Original post by mrmccarl
all you do is the desired over all products x100. in which case the by product is water

Yeah I remember but I was taking a guess at a percentage really :tongue:
Reply 2433
Original post by sals1234
Hey guys, can someone please explain to me why in question 5biv (feature that causes stereoisomersism in citral) we have to circle the double bond that's on the right and not the one on the left? Here's the link to the paper: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/58126-question-paper-unit-f324-rings-polymers-and-analysis.pdf

The C=C bond on the left has two of the same groups on one end, so no matter how you rotate it, it will be the same.

Geometric isomers have to have two different groups on each carbon on the C=C bond.
Reply 2434

Because its attached to different groups on the right!

The one on the left isn't!
:smile:.
Reply 2435
Tomorrow will be fun for us :tongue: Anyone got some questions for me? I need some practice :tongue:

Hahaha very :biggrin:
Original post by thers
Eqn is correct

atom economy = Mr desired product/Mr all products x 100

Thanks and yeah I remember that, just thought you wanted a value instead :colondollar:

Because the carbon that is on the left on the double bond of the left (I hope that makes sense, ahaha) is bound to the same groups (bound to two CH3). For E/Z isomerism, each carbon in the C=C must be bound to two different groups. :smile:
Original post by LosMutos
Hahaha very :biggrin:

Let's smash it! :biggrin:
Reply 2439
i still have S2 exam on Friday before my exams are over :frown:((((((((( really piling on the fat need football season back!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending