The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2920
Original post by fletchdd02
Yeah usual mechanism, electrophilic sub, but Br+ is substituted.[/QU

I got H+ as the product because Br+ is no longer the electrophile, NO2+ is, thats why, i hope its right :frown:
Reply 2921
Original post by Holz888
The bromine groups were next to the NH2 though, not the OH. That makes 3,5-dibromo-4-aminophenol

Did it show that? I don't remember. Oh well it was only 1 mark and maybe they'll allow it. Because that's how substitution works with phenol. One opposite it and two next to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I flopped on the question that asked for reagent after compund had beed oxidized by dichromate. apparently it was nabh4 so the type of reaction was nucleophilic substitution also what type of stereoisoner is? answer was optical isomer sigh 4marks lost

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sly1
Hi there did you get the Br bond breaking for the intermediate stage instead of a normal H atom? I got a BR- for the product also.

yeah did it exactly the same as usual but broke the br off instead , did you do an arrow to the no2+ in the first diagram from the ring ? and I got br- too!
Reply 2924
Original post by Sly1
Hi there did you get the Br bond breaking for the intermediate stage instead of a normal H atom? I got a BR- for the product also.

Yes, I did everything as you would on the usual mechanism just saw the Br as the H! Not sure if the product will be Br- or Br+. I got Br- though :smile:
Reply 2925
Looking at the NMR question I realise what the answer is now, it had 7 carbon environments so the top one of these is correct, I stupidly wrote the second one, which now I realise has 6 carbon environments, how many marks do you think I can expect from that? :s

nmr2.jpg
Reply 2926
Any ideas on grade boundaries
Unfortunately the mark scheme doesnt work when people delete your answer because they dont want to admit they were wrong...the H NMR isnt a ketone, its and ester
Reply 2928
Hi

guys

how was it?

i got the percentage yield as 63.2 cant remeber exactly

and the strcuture i got

benzeneC=0 ester with CH(CH3)2 ?
Reply 2929
This was my first time doing this paper and I thought it was easier than January 2013, you can disagree I couldn't care less.
Reply 2930
Original post by keepontrying
im sure its br- but never mind

It's a substitution though, you're simply swapping one thing for another. It's usually H+
Original post by otrivine
Hi

guys

how was it?

i got the percentage yield as 63.2 cant remeber exactly

and the strcuture i got

benzeneC=0 ester with CH(CH3)2 ?

same about the %
Original post by quickcooltiger
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371637844.517896.jpg
isn't this the answer for the last question? Someone else has the ester functional group the wrong way round

posted from tsr mobile

yes!! That's correct!
It's a substitution though, you're simply swapping one thing for another. It's usually H+

majority do seem to have put BR- and its plausible but ok...
you drew the same thing twice mate :s or am I missing something lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2935
how did you all do on your cwk? What do you think it will be for an A?
Reply 2936
I had 20 min left so I slept for a bit in the exam;
Reply 2937
Original post by Sly1
This was my first time doing this paper and I thought it was easier than January 2013, you can disagree I couldn't care less.

I sat Jan2013 as my actual, I got 43 with SO many silly mistakes made. It was an easy paper but silly mistakes bound to be made and I think it will be the same with this paper. I did find this one easier..I agree with you but it maybe cos it's the second time I'm doing it.. but hopefully lower grade boundaries as June grade boundaries are generally lower than Jan
Reply 2938
[QUOTE="Tania2k9;43234116"]
Yeah usual mechanism, electrophilic sub, but Br+ is substituted.[/QU

I got H+ as the product because Br+ is no longer the electrophile, NO2+ is, thats why, i hope its right :frown:

It was substituting Br for NO2 though? Where has the H+ come from?
Reply 2939
Original post by Meee.
how did you all do on your cwk? Do you think 36 will be an A?

45 = A minimum

Latest

Trending

Trending