The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by afserrahuman
hey some has got notes or a summary about white dwarfs ,red giants..... pls i need them as soon as possible i dont get any thing about them

this guy: https://www.youtube.com/user/CampbellMitch

has a load of stuff on astrophysics, check it out
Reply 1041
Original post by Lepton
I'm nervous... anyone else nervous?! :tongue:

It's odd - this is the exam i have the least pressure for (needing a cheeky 14 UMS to get my A...) but the one i feel most nervous for. Probably partially because i've been working for my other exams and kind of neglected it...
Hey could someone explain why the temperature change for lead is 327-84 in the question 1) c) of the june 2010 paper? It's probably a really obvious answer but for some reason my brain says it should be 324- the difference the iron mould rose (i.e. 324-57).
Reply 1043
Hey, does anyone know when calculating the mass defect, should the mass of the electrons be taken into consideration?
Reply 1044
Original post by Thr33
It's odd - this is the exam i have the least pressure for (needing a cheeky 14 UMS to get my A...) but the one i feel most nervous for. Probably partially because i've been working for my other exams and kind of neglected it...

Surely if you've only dropped 14 ums across every physics exam you've ever done you'd be aiming for an A*? You would at the very most need 106 which is doable on this paper
Reply 1045
Original post by OmegaKaos
Rutherford Experiment
Ionisation Chamber
Cloud Chamber
Absorption tests
Geiger Tube
Thermal Reactors
Both for finding specific heat capacity- inversion tube and circuit

Not to mention kinetic theory of gases may come up.

We have to know about the Cloud Chamber experiment??
Original post by kingm
That question was not easy!

Tell me about it man. I for one will be switching exam boards when i inevitably have to retake some of these exams next year :smile:. Apparently AQA (for any subject) features first year university material. I.e it is great preparation for university, but it also makes it harder to get in compared with these second rate boards. (I can say that on here because no-one from other exam boards is reading this :smile:).

Ergh AQA sucks :frown: Well at least they don't come up with many dramatic surprises like Edexcel do...

& I agree I didn't find that question easy at all :tongue: that exam was the hardest apparently

Original post by Emzy94
Hey, does anyone know when calculating the mass defect, should the mass of the electrons be taken into consideration?

Nope, atomic mass only takes nuclei into consideration
Original post by Thr33

I would've probably been in the same position if it weren't the practical units in which I barely scrapped 50% of the marks :frown:

**** those practicals, **** everything about them
Original post by posthumus

Nope, atomic mass only takes nuclei into consideration

Careful, there was definitely a question from 2004 or something where you did because they were talking about the whole atom rather than just the nucleus.
So a nuclei with low binding energy per nucleon will be unstable right? & most likely radioactive. Has the strong nuclear force got anything to do with binding energy?

"fusion occurs to the left of the peak while fission to the right"

Anyone care to explain ? :smile:

Thanks.

EDIT: Ah think I may have got it, never knew fusion occurs with small nuclei & fission with large... don't understand why fusion with small though ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Math-Magician
Careful, there was definitely a question from 2004 or something where you did because they were talking about the whole atom rather than just the nucleus.

Oh okay thanks for correcting me there :smile:
Thought it would be negligible... I guess this atom had a lot of electrons (or protons for that matter) ???
Reply 1051
any ideas on what sort of things will come up (like for the long answers)?
Original post by posthumus
So a nuclei with low binding energy per nucleon will be unstable right? & most likely radioactive. Has the strong nuclear force got anything to do with binding energy?

"fusion occurs to the left of the peak while fission to the right"

Anyone care to explain ? :smile:

Thanks.

yeah, the strong nuclear force is responsible for binding the nucleons together

work done by strong nuclear force to hold the protons and neutrons together = total binding energy of the nucleus

fusion occurs left of the peak, because over there the graph shows the line sloping upwards, so if you fuse two nuclei together, they would follow that line up towards a higher binding energy per nucleon

the whole point of fission and fusion, is for the nucleus to increase its stability (i.e. increase the binding energy per nucleon)
I know it may be a bit late, but if you look on the TomRed blog you can find all of the past papers back to 2002.

Edit: Just be aware that it doesn't include questions on thermal, and some of the stuff is slightly too advanced for the syllabus.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by cooldudeman
What has been the highest full ums boundary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For applied it's been as high as 67 :frown:
Original post by Jack93o
yeah, the strong nuclear force is responsible for binding the nucleons together

work done by strong nuclear force to hold the protons and neutrons together = total binding energy of the nucleus

fusion occurs left of the peak, because over there the graph shows the line sloping upwards, so if you fuse two nuclei together, they would follow that line up towards a higher binding energy per nucleon

the whole point of fission and fusion, is for the nucleus to increase its stability (i.e. increase the binding energy per nucleon)

Ah I see in a way they are trying to reach the peak of the graph, which is where it's most stable...

... thank you, you explained it all really well :biggrin:
anyone have any suspicions on what the 6 marker may be? For Section A. Nuclear Power has come up twice already and i doubt it will be Rutherford's experiment as it came up last year.
Anyone got any revision checklists for this unit, please?
Reply 1058
Original post by jonnyb123
Hey could someone explain why the temperature change for lead is 327-84 in the question 1) c) of the june 2010 paper? It's probably a really obvious answer but for some reason my brain says it should be 324- the difference the iron mould rose (i.e. 324-57).

Mould rose to 84 degrees when the lead was placed inside meaning the lead has to be at the same temperature of the mould at that point since they're in thermal equlibrium hence the change is the orginial minus the temp reached by the iron mould
Original post by matthew_skeet27
anyone have any suspicions on what the 6 marker may be? For Section A. Nuclear Power has come up twice already and i doubt it will be Rutherford's experiment as it came up last year.

Talking about what happens as an ice cube is heated all the way up to 100 degrees Celsius would be nice :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending