The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1860
Original post by bugsuper
Indeed. If the focal length was a few mm, we'd have less of a case, as that would clearly be an eyepiece, but I think there's a bit of ambiguity

Yeah thought the same thing so put reasoning that focal length was long

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamesSS95
You shouldn't do, they usually only penalise you once :smile: I wouldn't worry :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. :smile: I don't know why I thought almost 7 was close to 8 anyway. XD
Any chance of 54 marks being an A. I really doubt it considering it was not that bad. It was answerable but I made stupid mistakes.:frown:
I have looked at the unofficial mark scheme for section A and think I have between 30-34 marks ish! Made some really silly mistakes! Now I NEED someone to talk to about medical physics! Haha! Someone tell me it wasn't just me that thought it was the easiest medical paper I have ever seen? No really tough questions and a really nice 6 marker on the ear?
Original post by sports_crazy
Any chance of 54 marks being an A. I really doubt it considering it was not that bad. It was answerable but I made stupid mistakes.:frown:

What unit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sports_crazy

54 marks will definitely be an A!!!
I'm trying to make a questions list and the marks it was out of for section A. I'll have it posted soon. I'll need some help adjusting it though.
Section A:
1a) define an atomic mass unit (1 mark)
B) describe and explain the difference between the mass of a He nucleons and the nucleons that make (something like that) (3 or 2 marks).
C) explain the high energy in the stars to undergo fusion (2 or 3 marks)
D) equations in the CNO cycle (3 marks)
E) mass defect question with four hydrogen-1 nuclei making a helium nucleus and two positrons (3 or 4 marks)
2a) describe a way to reduce the energy output of a nuclear power plant (2 marks)
B) give a source of high radiation from a nuclear power station (1 mark)
C) explain and describe the nature of the radiation emitted from the moderator after collision with a neutron transferring kinetic energy. (2 marks)
D) the collision with a neutron and a moderator is elastic, what happens to the neutron after collision (something like that) (2 marks).
3a) cola at 3 degrees is put into a glass at 30 degrees, show that the final temperature of the cola is 8 degrees. (2 marks)
B) ice at zero degrees is put into the cola and brings it to 3 degrees (if I remember right). Calculate the mass of the Ice (3 marks). All values of C and l are given in these these questions.
4a) definition of an ideal gas (2 marks)
B) work out the number of moles in a gas of container volume 0.2 m^3. (2 or 3 marks)
C) calculate the density when the molar mass is given, give a unit (3 marks)
D) some air escapes from the cylinder when it is at higher altitude, find the new mass. (Not too sure about this one) (3 or 2 marks)
E) I think there was one more but I can not remember? Any help here?
5) six marker QWC question on devising an experiment to test the radiation emitted from a source.

Please improve on this if possible. I did turning points, I'll try to make one for turning points, but I don't remember that one very well.
Reply 1868
Does anyone know what the correct answer was for working out hubbles constant? I got 75

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by david2457
Section A:
1a) define an atomic mass unit (1 mark)
b) describe and explain the difference between the mass of a He nucleons and the nucleons that make (something like that) (2 marks).
c) explain the high energy in the stars to undergo fusion (3 marks)
d) equations in the CNO cycle (3 marks)
e) mass defect question with four hydrogen-1 nuclei making a helium nucleus and two positrons (3 marks)
2a) describe a way to reduce the energy output of a nuclear power plant (2 marks)
b) give a source of high radiation from a nuclear power station (1 mark)
c) explain and describe the nature of the radiation emitted from the moderator after collision with a neutron transferring kinetic energy. (2 marks)
d) the collision with a neutron and a moderator is elastic, what happens to the neutron after collision (something like that) (2 marks).
3a)i) cola at 3 degrees is put into a glass at 30 degrees, show that the final temperature of the cola is 8 degrees. (2 marks)
a)ii) ice at zero degrees is put into the cola and brings it to 3 degrees (if I remember right). Calculate the mass of the Ice (3 marks). All values of C and l are given in these these questions.
4a) definition of an ideal gas (2 marks)
b) work out the number of moles in a gas of container volume 0.2 m^3. (2 marks)
c) calculate the density when the molar mass is given, give a unit (3 marks)
d) some air escapes from the cylinder when it is at higher altitude, find the new mass. (Not too sure about this one) (3 marks)
5) six marker QWC question on devising an experiment to test the radiation emitted from a source. (6 marks)

Please improve on this if possible. I did turning points, I'll try to make one for turning points, but I don't remember that one very well.

Edited it so that the marks per question are correct. All the questions are there as well.
Reply 1870
unofficial mark scheme for the nuclear section up yet?
Original post by anuradha_d
I presumed you had to choose one because it said or.... so i talked about the absorber experiment and the shortcomings, but the general experiment too and the principles behind it as well as describing it and talking about the safety precautions...

In terms of the paper itself, i found the written questions much easier. I normally depend on the maths but i made so many errors. The Astro 6 marker was beaut; there were so many points you could make about CCDs structure function advantages etc. I did say i'd use the lens as an objective (stupidly) lol. Apart from that, loved astro (except my wrong H value on the last question) especially the sneaky diffraction pattern graph for the Rayleigh Criterion :smile:

I needed 98/120 ish for an A* but given the sheer number of calculation errors i made (and missing out the last part of the pressure question) and the high grade boundaries for astro, i dont think itll happen :/ how did astro people find the paper?

Same situation as you really, I need ~98/120 ums for an A* but only 38UMS for an A, sucks really-.- I just hope I got enough on this paper to do that and not to disappoint my teacher :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cat-lover
Thanks. :smile: I don't know why I thought almost 7 was close to 8 anyway. XD

No worries, a few people in my class messed up sochances are that itwont effect your mark too much:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1873
Original post by Hippokrates
Did anybody else think question 2 (Specific heat capacity question) was evil?

Original post by HypErTwisT
There was a lot of work for only 2 marks on the first bit which was annoying...

Yeah, I had a lot of working too. I assume you opted for equating temp deltas as 30-t and t-3 or whatever the numbers were?

Part of me figured there must be a simpler method, for a mere 2 marks (the 3 marks that followed was quicker and easier!) but I realised it would take me longer to figure it out (if it exists) and apply, than just to do the long way around that jumped out at me.

Made quite good time with it - which I didn't think I would, especially after PHYA4 which I took too long on, and to be honest is my stronger unit.

That is until Hubble! H = 6.77?! I don't think so! :lol: Ten minutes just on that at the end, still couldn't fix. :sad:
Original post by posthumus
Who managed to do the cola one.... ???

I did:

mcT=mcT

mc(3+T) = mc(30-T)

Then in the end I did 3+T ... & I got 7, I'm hoping this is only due to rounding though

Mine rounded to 7 too. I can't even remember what I did but it looks similar to the working out you've done.
Original post by JamesSS95
No worries, a few people in my class messed up sochances are that itwont effect your mark too much:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay, thanks. :smile:
I'm almost 100% positive the lens question was an objective lens. If it were an eyepiece lens you'd have to stand 48 centimetres from the eyepiece to see a clear image, by which point you wouldn't see anything anyway! I thought this was a really nice paper overall, except for the stupid coke and beaker question. It threw me initially but came back to part i) in the end and got it, but didn't have time for part two :frown:. The nuclear 6 marker was quite nice, think I may lose one or two on the CCD one though, damn I hate those things.
anyone remember the applied qns
i rember the first qn bein about deceleration about the microwave turntable
qn 2 was the diver
qn3 was the engine

anyone remember the individual qns
Original post by cat-lover
Mine rounded to 7 too. I can't even remember what I did but it looks similar to the working out you've done.

I see your error
it should be MC(T-3)=mc(30-T)
not MC(3+T)=mc(30-T)
Reply 1879
Original post by nanotech1
I'm absolutely fuming at myself for not converting anything to Kelvin. I blame the all-nighter I pulled. What a waste, but hopefully I'll get the ECF.

I did exactly the same thing but then I realised and tried to correct it but the second time I did it it all went wrong! So it's going to look like I had no idea what I was doing!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending