The Student Room Group

Which universities would be considered the best for rowing?

I'm looking just for universities in England, please.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oxbridge are the best at everything
Reply 2
Oxbridge are definitely the best for rowing. 30 colleges, most with at least 2 eights each male and female. And then beyond that, you can have a crack at the Blues.
Reply 3
Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, Newcastle.
Reply 4
What about Loughborough? Birmingham?
Reply 5
_Dreamer_
What about Loughborough? Birmingham?

Loughborough are OK. Birmingham, errrrr, can't think of anything worthy of noting.

Oxford, Cambridge
Durham
Newcastle, Bristol seem to be making a few marks lately, oh Reading are a good one too!

Otherwise, can't think of any others off the top of my head really.
Reply 6
The University of Bristol and UWE both take it quite seriously if I remember right - they even contest the Bristol Varsity Boat Race between themelves.
Only go to Oxford/Cambridge if a) you are a post grad and have international rowing experience, and therefore are likely to have a crack at the blue boats or b) you are fairly crap and happy to spend 3 years in your college 8 - fun but slow.

Outside of Oxbridge, Oxford Brookes and Durham are excellent. Then come places like Reading, Bristol, Newcastle, University of London, Imperial College.

Then Birmingham, Lougborough, that sort of place.

Most unis have a rowing club, but that doesn't mean you want to go there!
Imperial's is quite serious, if i remember correctly their coach/ex-coach was the Sydney 2000 coach and from the (coxless 8s?) 3 of them were Imperial also.

'Simon' rings a bell for the coach's name :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_College_Boat_Club

The Gold medal winning GB 8+ at the 2000 Sydney Olympics had been based at Imperial College's recently refurbished boathouse and included 3 alumni of the college along with their coach Martin McElroy.

Looks like steve trapmore is the coach now!
Reply 9
OllyRunner
The University of Bristol and UWE both take it quite seriously if I remember right - they even contest the Bristol Varsity Boat Race between themelves.

I don't understand the comment "they even contest the Bristol Varsity Boat Race between themselves" - who else would contest it? :confused:

Most 'neighbouring' universities have some sort of varsity/sporting challenge.

Newcastle and Durham have an annual Boat Race on the Tyne, as do Newcastle and Northumbria as part of their "varsity" competition (called The Stan Calvert Cup). York and York St. John, Manchester and Manchester Met, Oxford and Cambridge (duh), Bristol and UWE, and I'm fairly certain you'll get a few others though can't think of any right now :smile:

Thing with Bristol and UWE, from what I've heard, is that Bristol wins everything quite easily, whereas some other varsity competitions it's a closer call.
Reply 10
Sorry Dobbs, badly put! What I meant was that I thought their standards of rowing would be good, because both Bristol and UWE have an important race to aim towards, unlike other places which may not have such races as targets.
According to the race website the unis have won 5 races each this decade - UWE might have improved?
Oxbridge are no more than average at rowing. The boat race is practically a pro-event. Rowers basically go to the uni just to participate.

At Henley and other events Oxbridge crews are rarely notable.
I rowed at Kent for the last three years. We are what i'd call 'The non-league' of University rowing, although we regularly win smaller races at like Star and Bedford.

Based on BUCS results Durham are the best. Based on prestige, Oxford and Cambridge are the best.
Reply 13
revisionnightmare
Oxbridge are no more than average at rowing. The boat race is practically a pro-event. Rowers basically go to the uni just to participate.

At Henley and other events Oxbridge crews are rarely notable.

This is the stupidest comment I've ever heard :rolleyes: Did you, by any chance, not get picked to:

a) study at Oxbridge?
or;
b) row in one of their clubs?

Fair enough, the college clubs won't be anything spectacular (but certainly competitive against other Universities, though not the higher level ones), but the University clubs generally have a mix of rowers, many of whom are of a very high standard, rowed internationally or won at Henley, Nat Champs, etc.

You can't by any stretch of the imagination call the Oxford and Cambridge Univeristy rowing clubs "no more than average"!!
dobbs
This is the stupidest comment I've ever heard :rolleyes: Did you, by any chance, not get picked to:

a) study at Oxbridge?
or;
b) row in one of their clubs?

Fair enough, the college clubs won't be anything spectacular (but certainly competitive against other Universities, though not the higher level ones), but the University clubs generally have a mix of rowers, many of whom are of a very high standard, rowed internationally or won at Henley, Nat Champs, etc.

You can't by any stretch of the imagination call the Oxford and Cambridge Univeristy rowing clubs "no more than average"!!

This is just from experience. I rowed for GB last year, and have gotten to the semi-finals of Henley in the Fawley in 2009. Sure, Oxbridge might have some high standard rowers, but I've always been told by people at my club, and witnessed, them not doing especially well. At Henley this year I saw a Cambridge crew being beaten by Eton College in the Temple Challenge Cup and a Goldie boat losing to University College Dublin by almost a length in the Prince Albert (although I'll admit UCD won the event).

'No more than average' may be a little harsh, but they're not great. Durham, Bristol, Newcastle etc are all from what I've seen better. Even Oxford Brooke's aren't far off.
Original post by revisionnightmare
This is just from experience. I rowed for GB last year, and have gotten to the semi-finals of Henley in the Fawley in 2009. Sure, Oxbridge might have some high standard rowers, but I've always been told by people at my club, and witnessed, them not doing especially well. At Henley this year I saw a Cambridge crew being beaten by Eton College in the Temple Challenge Cup and a Goldie boat losing to University College Dublin by almost a length in the Prince Albert (although I'll admit UCD won the event).

'No more than average' may be a little harsh, but they're not great. Durham, Bristol, Newcastle etc are all from what I've seen better. Even Oxford Brooke's aren't far off.

I'm in year 12 and planning to row at university. I was under the impression that, excluding Oxbridge, Oxford Brooke's has the best performing boat club in the UK.
Original post by RowingChris2
I'm in year 12 and planning to row at university. I was under the impression that, excluding Oxbridge, Oxford Brooke's has the best performing boat club in the UK.

Wow. Old thread!

Oxford / Cambridge have their boat race crew - which basically trains solely for that and is filled with post-grads / olympic hopefuls. Then weaker squads which are the ones who do the head of the river / henley etc and weaker still, college squads.

Would like some clarification on this though.

That said I don't row anymore (thank god).
Reply 17
Is rowing expensive at uni?
How good is Reading Uni in terms of rowing? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HannahBanana1995
How good is Reading Uni in terms of rowing? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reasonably good, 8 ex students competed in London 2012.

Quick Reply

Latest