The Student Room Group

Reapplying for uni if my A levels result turned out better than my prediction grade?

I want to apply for computer science but my prediction grade isn’t close to the university courses entry requirement. I don’t have a particular uni in mind but most unis have A*AA requirement.

I’m taking physics, maths and further maths. I’m thinking of applying to electrical engineering course for now with what I’ve have. But incase, I get a better result, will I be able to apply to computer science through clearing ?

Scroll to see replies

Yes you can. You could also take a gap year and apply with actual grades.
However, I think there are quite a few courses that accept grades lower than A*AA that are perfectly good for computer science. Have you looked at Surrey, Royal Holloway, Aberystwyth, Cardiff, for example?
Original post by yellowsnowman
I want to apply for computer science but my prediction grade isn’t close to the university courses entry requirement. I don’t have a particular uni in mind but most unis have A*AA requirement.

I’m taking physics, maths and further maths. I’m thinking of applying to electrical engineering course for now with what I’ve have. But incase, I get a better result, will I be able to apply to computer science through clearing ?

How far off the requirements are you?

Given the problems with employability for computer science graduates why not look at universities with slightly lower requirements that offer a placement year? Those are more likely to get you into a good CS job than an A*AA course anyway!
Reply 3
Yes, I would say so. If you put in the work, I don't see why you can't obtain a spot at a good university through clearing. I mean, it will be very hard to get in touch with the universities as there will be LOADS of people trying to contact them but if you are lucky, I don't see why you can't.

Many of the top places do clearing for CS (barring Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh and maybe a few more) like Durham and Bath from what I've heard but you might want to confirm.

What you have to remember though is that this isn't a guarantee so if you are set on going to a top university, you may as well just reapply for next year but you will have to work hard at your application so that you have good super curricular activities on your personal statement. It took me some time to do some of the things I've done but it's paid off as I have an offer from Imperial so make sure you put enough time into your activities.

Also, remember, no one is forcing you to do a major you aren't interested in so if you aren't a huge fan of EE and want to go into CS, I'd consider reapplying.
Reply 4
Original post by totallyfine
Yes you can. You could also take a gap year and apply with actual grades.
However, I think there are quite a few courses that accept grades lower than A*AA that are perfectly good for computer science. Have you looked at Surrey, Royal Holloway, Aberystwyth, Cardiff, for example?

I’ve looked up Surrey but it’s my first time hearing about the other ones. I’ll look it up. Thanks for your suggestion.

I am curious. I work as a junior hardware repair technician so does that help with the application ? Nothing to do with programming though.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
How far off the requirements are you?

Given the problems with employability for computer science graduates why not look at universities with slightly lower requirements that offer a placement year? Those are more likely to get you into a good CS job than an A*AA course anyway!

I’m a private candidate for A levels and I got an A in physics and B in the rest. I think it’s cause I submitted all my assignments for physics but only a bare minimum for maths and further maths that I got a B. I did do fairly well in all but maybe they didn’t have enough material to properly assess my ability. Who knows. Thanks for your advise. I’ll try to find some lower entry requirement unis. Haven’t found any so far.
I’m a private candidate for A levels and I got an A in physics and B in the rest. I think it’s cause I submitted all my assignments for physics but only a bare minimum for maths and further maths that I got a B. I did do fairly well in all but maybe they didn’t have enough material to properly assess my ability. Who knows. Thanks for your advise. I’ll try to find some lower entry requirement unis. Haven’t found any so far.

Are you eligible for any contextual criteria?
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Are you eligible for any contextual criteria?

If that is for someone with problems then i am not.

Surrey and Aston both have fantastic placement year provision

If you’re considering clearing or a gap year then don’t apply for 2024 entry for a different course. Apply for 3 aspirational choices and Aston and Surrey and see what offers you get. If you get rejected due to your predictions then you’re in a much stronger position to ask them to reconsider you if you outperform your predictions in August. And if you don’t outperform your predictions you have 2 excellent universities to choose from.
Reply 9
Original post by vnayak
Yes, I would say so. If you put in the work, I don't see why you can't obtain a spot at a good university through clearing. I mean, it will be very hard to get in touch with the universities as there will be LOADS of people trying to contact them but if you are lucky, I don't see why you can't.

Many of the top places do clearing for CS (barring Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh and maybe a few more) like Durham and Bath from what I've heard but you might want to confirm.

What you have to remember though is that this isn't a guarantee so if you are set on going to a top university, you may as well just reapply for next year but you will have to work hard at your application so that you have good super curricular activities on your personal statement. It took me some time to do some of the things I've done but it's paid off as I have an offer from Imperial so make sure you put enough time into your activities.

Also, remember, no one is forcing you to do a major you aren't interested in so if you aren't a huge fan of EE and want to go into CS, I'd consider reapplying.

(Just an aside that Bath did not clear for CS in 2023).
Reply 10
Original post by mesub
(Just an aside that Bath did not clear for CS in 2023).

Oh! When I asked about clearing at top universities, I got told by our careers advisor that Bath and Durham tend to have a few places for CS.
Reply 11
Original post by vnayak
Oh! When I asked about clearing at top universities, I got told by our careers advisor that Bath and Durham tend to have a few places for CS.

Are you an international applicant? For UK student basically none of the stronger universities have been in clearing for CS for the last few years. Clearing is really not a good option in this case.
Reply 12
Original post by ajj2000
Are you an international applicant? For UK student basically none of the stronger universities have been in clearing for CS for the last few years. Clearing is really not a good option in this case.

No I'm a home student. Some of the things our careers advisor says is extremely sketchy so has to be taken with a pinch of salt but I thought that this would be true as this is something which has been said by several members of staff. It appears I know nothing 😂! I've not really looked much into the Clearing process so I haven't really considered options.
Original post by vnayak
No I'm a home student. Some of the things our careers advisor says is extremely sketchy so has to be taken with a pinch of salt but I thought that this would be true as this is something which has been said by several members of staff. It appears I know nothing 😂! I've not really looked much into the Clearing process so I haven't really considered options.

they may have said it on the basis that the last few years have been different with only last year being a return to normal 😭
Reply 14
Original post by AmIReallyHere
they may have said it on the basis that the last few years have been different with only last year being a return to normal 😭

I guess so but that is primarily linked to lower grade boundaries though so there are more people meeting their entry requirements. Last year was different because grade boundaries were higher from what I heard?
Reply 15
Original post by vnayak

There is absolutely no reason you should know anything!

Why not give some details here about your overall position so people can advise? Also look through past posts (but be careful about the covid years as weird things happened then).
Reply 16
Original post by ajj2000
There is absolutely no reason you should know anything!

Why not give some details here about your overall position so people can advise? Also look through past posts (but be careful about the covid years as weird things happened then).

I don't think I have to consider Clearing options (yet) because I don't have any reservations with the places I've applied to and received offers from (Imperial, Manchester and Edinburgh and anticipating one from Durham but no news as of yet, all for CompSci). What's on my mind is whether I should reapply for entry next year?

I really really want to go to Cambridge but got rejected from Cambridge pre-interview after fumbling my TMUA admissions test. In the room my admissions test was taking place, there were seven other admissions tests and all of the end timings were presented in a tabular format at the front of the room. I was sat at the back of the room and I saw the wrong row for my end timing for the first paper, which is normally the one that brings my mark up. The paper timing is one hour 15 minutes but the timing I saw was for one and a half hours, meaning I thought I had 15 minutes than I actually had and at no point did I clock this during the test. I worked through the first few questions really quickly and seeing that I had loads of time left, I began to pace myself a bit more so that I wouldn't make any stupid mistakes. About 23 minutes before what I thought was the end timing (8 minutes before the actual end time), I finished the first paper in its entirety and had answers to every question that matched one of the multiple choice options with workings out and since I thought I had 20-ish minutes left, I thought I would take a break for like 5 minutes before starting to fill in my answer sheet. 5 minutes later (3 minutes before the end time), I slowly began to fill in my answer sheet. I was really confident that I had done well and then three minutes later, I got told to put my pencil down and I had the shock of my life. I then looked at the table of timings and saw that I looked at the wrong row. I only managed to fill in 9 out of the 20 lozenges on my answer sheet. The test was really easy as well (for me at least. Some people found it really hard at my school), which hurt even more because I thought I would have decent chances of securing an interview. I worked out that to have a decent chance of getting an interview, I would have to get at least 15 questions right on the second paper and I realised at this point that I am going to get rejected and all of that hard work was in vain because I've never got more than 13 on the second paper and that remained the case. I scored 4.5 in the TMUA, which some people got less than and still secured interviews and I know someone who got 5.0 at my school and still got an interview for CS, which hurt a lot at the time. 5 days before my Imperial interview, I received my Cambridge rejection and I was so distraught and dejected. It destroyed me and still hurts to this day.

Do you think it's worth me reapplying? I understand that there is a chance that I don't get in and I've just taken a year out for nothing but I just really want to go there. I want to give it my best and put up a decent admissions test score and application so they have to interview me. I'm really grateful for the offers I've received but I feel as though I've let myself down. Even if I received an interview and got rejected after, I still would have been happy that I at least got past the first phase but it wasn't meant to be. During the gap year, I will do as many things I can in free time to ensure that I put up a strong application in addition to serious admissions test prep. Any thoughts about my predicament would be much appreciated.

My A levels: Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, Chemistry and EPQ (5 A* prediction)

My GCSEs: 9999999988 with the 8s in English Literature and RS (not great, I know but what's done is done).

Hi there,

If you're interested in studying Computer Science at Royal Holloway, University of London, you can find out more about our department here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/research-and-teaching/departments-and-schools/computer-science/ including our entry requirements and course content.

If you have any questions about making an application, you may find this page helpful: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/applying/. As you've mentioned already, if you have questions about your specific grades and entry requirements, the best thing to do would be to contact our Admissions team directly here about your options: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/applicationquery and they will respond as soon as possible.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes,
Royal Holloway, University of London Rep
Original post by vnayak
I don't think I have to consider Clearing options (yet) because I don't have any reservations with the places I've applied to and received offers from (Imperial, Manchester and Edinburgh and anticipating one from Durham but no news as of yet, all for CompSci). What's on my mind is whether I should reapply for entry next year?

I really really want to go to Cambridge but got rejected from Cambridge pre-interview after fumbling my TMUA admissions test. In the room my admissions test was taking place, there were seven other admissions tests and all of the end timings were presented in a tabular format at the front of the room. I was sat at the back of the room and I saw the wrong row for my end timing for the first paper, which is normally the one that brings my mark up. The paper timing is one hour 15 minutes but the timing I saw was for one and a half hours, meaning I thought I had 15 minutes than I actually had and at no point did I clock this during the test. I worked through the first few questions really quickly and seeing that I had loads of time left, I began to pace myself a bit more so that I wouldn't make any stupid mistakes. About 23 minutes before what I thought was the end timing (8 minutes before the actual end time), I finished the first paper in its entirety and had answers to every question that matched one of the multiple choice options with workings out and since I thought I had 20-ish minutes left, I thought I would take a break for like 5 minutes before starting to fill in my answer sheet. 5 minutes later (3 minutes before the end time), I slowly began to fill in my answer sheet. I was really confident that I had done well and then three minutes later, I got told to put my pencil down and I had the shock of my life. I then looked at the table of timings and saw that I looked at the wrong row. I only managed to fill in 9 out of the 20 lozenges on my answer sheet. The test was really easy as well (for me at least. Some people found it really hard at my school), which hurt even more because I thought I would have decent chances of securing an interview. I worked out that to have a decent chance of getting an interview, I would have to get at least 15 questions right on the second paper and I realised at this point that I am going to get rejected and all of that hard work was in vain because I've never got more than 13 on the second paper and that remained the case. I scored 4.5 in the TMUA, which some people got less than and still secured interviews and I know someone who got 5.0 at my school and still got an interview for CS, which hurt a lot at the time. 5 days before my Imperial interview, I received my Cambridge rejection and I was so distraught and dejected. It destroyed me and still hurts to this day.

Do you think it's worth me reapplying? I understand that there is a chance that I don't get in and I've just taken a year out for nothing but I just really want to go there. I want to give it my best and put up a decent admissions test score and application so they have to interview me. I'm really grateful for the offers I've received but I feel as though I've let myself down. Even if I received an interview and got rejected after, I still would have been happy that I at least got past the first phase but it wasn't meant to be. During the gap year, I will do as many things I can in free time to ensure that I put up a strong application in addition to serious admissions test prep. Any thoughts about my predicament would be much appreciated.

My A levels: Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, Chemistry and EPQ (5 A* prediction)

My GCSEs: 9999999988 with the 8s in English Literature and RS (not great, I know but what's done is done).

Omg, don't even stress, honestly, your grades are amazing! Just having good grades opens up a lot of doors. I'm here with CDE predicted, and can't even apply for 95% the courses I wanted. Even clearing isn't certain for me.
Reply 19
Original post by Pink turtles
Omg, don't even stress, honestly, your grades are amazing! Just having good grades opens up a lot of doors. I'm here with CDE predicted, and can't even apply for 95% the courses I wanted. Even clearing isn't certain for me.

I'm happy with the grades I've got but when you want to go somewhere, you do all that you can to ensure that your dream becomes a reality. I did all of this and to think that a simple confusion with timings ruined my chances is crazy. And the simple fact is that it can't have been my personal statement or my references because I got an offer an arguably more competitive Imperial course so using deduction, we know that it refers to my admissions test score. The copy and paste email I received from Cambridge after my rejection said something like my academic profile wasn't strong enough which led me to think that it's my GCSEs in addition to admissions test but someone in my year who scored 0.3 more than me and had lower GCSEs (not eligible for contextual in anyway whatsoever) received an interview so I assumed it was admissions test and by tight margins at that.

Yeah, I really feel your pain. I think that if you put a shift in these next few months, you can get even better grades than that and be able to go to the university you want (if that is the path you desire) to go to via Clearing. What subjects do you do? I might be able to offer SOME level of assistance. Clearing isn't certain for anyone and is very much pot luck with regards to actually having your call received by the admissions office on that day but I'm sure that if you do well with your A levels, chances are you will get into university through clearing and for a course of your choice (provided it links well with your A levels and you meet their requirements).
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending