The Student Room Group

Best shoes for the gym?

Just what the title says really. I heard Nike run narrow all the time so I've been reluctant to try them.

It's hard to find anything with 0 heel drop as well I'm considering getting the vans old skool but not sure.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by beatricehalley
Just what the title says really. I've got wide high arching feet so that is probably a factor as I heard Nike run narrow all the time.

It's hard to find anything with 0 heel drop as well I'm considering getting the vans old skool but not sure.

What are you doing in the gym?

Spoiler

Just what the title says really. I've got wide high arching feet so that is probably a factor as I heard Nike run narrow all the time.

Depends on what activity (or activities) you are doing. What do you do, or like to do, in the gym?
Original post by bl0bf1sh
What are you doing in the gym?

Spoiler

Just basic lifting like squats etc. I'm a beginner right now.
Thanks for mentioning gait analysis I've never heard that term before I wonder if anyone really knows about this lol. I'll definitely look into that one!
I wear my Vivo barefoots or trainers for most things but squat shoes for squatting
Just basic lifting like squats etc. I'm a beginner right now.
Thanks for mentioning gait analysis I've never heard that term before I wonder if anyone really knows about this lol. I'll definitely look into that one!

for compound lifts (deadlifts, rows, squats etc.) you don't need to wear shoes, just socks (if ur gym allows that).
Original post by a.planet
for compound lifts (deadlifts, rows, squats etc.) you don't need to wear shoes, just socks (if ur gym allows that).

Planning to just use my Universities gym so who knows. Won't I be prone to sliding in my sweat tho?
Planning to just use my Universities gym so who knows. Won't I be prone to sliding in my sweat tho?

I wear running shoes that are on the flatter side tbh but I used to wear just socks. The floor in my gym is grippy so slipping wasn't an issue but if it's not in the uni gym, flat running shoes are good too.
Original post by a.planet
I wear running shoes that are on the flatter side tbh but I used to wear just socks. The floor in my gym is grippy so slipping wasn't an issue but if it's not in the uni gym, flat running shoes are good too.

Flat running shoes sounds convenient. Got any recommendations that I should check out right now?
I use the brand Kappa for more than seven years and they are still an acceptable state. Try those pairs.
Converse style flat shoes are a good bet. No heel drop and a moderate amount of ankle support. Probably not so good for running. I wear Nike essential 3s to the gym, and they serve me well enough, though they're a bit prone to slipping if I go in from the rain. The best non-slip shoe I've had is the Reebok Work n Cushion, but they've got a bit of a drop. Very comfortable shoe though, probably would suffice for all your machine and lifting needs.

I've heard good things as well about vivobarefoot. No drop at all.
Reply 11
That will depend on the activity
Unfortunately, going to the gym still only happens in my plans, but my best friend is a regular. She wears Nike Flex Control 4, but with leather af1 laces, as she claims they are more durable.
(edited 10 months ago)
Just what the title says really. I heard Nike run narrow all the time so I've been reluctant to try them.

what are you doing in the gym? as that is going to influence your choice of footwear
Original post by InArduisFouette
what are you doing in the gym? as that is going to influence your choice of footwear

I'll be doing a lot of leg training for my physio so like squats and lunges. As well as beginner weight lifting things for the rest of my body
(edited 10 months ago)
I'll be doing a lot of leg training for my physio so like squats and lunges. As well as beginner weight lifting things for the rest of my body

Shoes with flat soles are good if you are going to be squatting. I'm a traditionalist so I go with Converse.
What you've said about Nike I've noticed too and I'm not a huge fan of their gym wear either as their sizing is terrible! I wear trainers/flat running shoes. I currently have a pair of Puma ones which are so good and I also have a pair of New Balance which are really comfy but have a bit more of a foamy heel so probably not what you're looking for. If I'm doing squats, lunges or deadlifts I do take them off though and just perform the exercises in my socks. I have socks with grips on the bottom so you won't slip and slide about at all. If I'm going to recommend any other shoes I'd recommend some from Under Armour.
I wouldn’t worry too much about footwear when you start. Just focus on training hard and enjoying it. Then buy the shoes.
I go with Karrimor Trail Runners myself, I use them for hockey too.

Quick Reply

Latest