The Student Room Group

Placement footwear?

Hi, I start my first nursing placement in a couple of weeks but I’m not sure on what is suitable footwear. We’re no longer allowed crocs so I’m thinking dark coloured trainers? Just wondering if any other student nurses knew of particular brands or styles that would be best. Thanks in advance! X
Reply 1
Original post by feegee35
Hi, I start my first nursing placement in a couple of weeks but I’m not sure on what is suitable footwear. We’re no longer allowed crocs so I’m thinking dark coloured trainers? Just wondering if any other student nurses knew of particular brands or styles that would be best. Thanks in advance! X

I would recommend getting a pair of sketchers trainers as very comfortable if you are allowed to wear trainers as it depends on the uniform policy for your particular NHS trust.

A NHS midwife
Reply 2
Thanks Tracey x
Reply 3
Thanks Tracey x

You are so welcome 🤗🤗

Hope you will enjoy every minute of your nursing journey ❤️❤️❤️
Hey :smile:

The best idea is to speak to your university and placement provider on what footwear you should wear. Each placement and NHS trust can be different. They will be able to tell you exactly what you can and can't wear.

However, comfort is key as you will be on your feet during your shift. With that in mind, your university and placement will know this so your footwear should be comfy.

I hope this helps and good luck on your first placement.

Hi,

I would recommend asking your host trust what shoes are acceptable as some trusts allow trainers while others prefer shoes.

If you are allowed to wear trainers, I would recommend something incredibly comfortable like sketches or Reebok trainers as they are made for long 12-hour days where you will be standing for the majority of the shift.

If you have to wear shoes, I would recommend going to Clarks as they have two different types of shoes suitable for nursing.

The last thing I would recommend is to also wear compression stockings as they will keep your feet well perfused during long shifts and help with foot pain which can be a lot to deal with if you have 3 or 4 days in a row.

I hope this is of some assistance and best of luck with your placements!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
Reply 6
Thanks for the great advice Mary, I really appreciate it x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending