The Student Room Group

Maths Qualifications

Hello what are some advanced maths qualifications? I really like mechanics and computing maths and stuff, I know their is A Level maths but can someone recommend a course or exam. I am not going to pick it as an option due to conflict in the maths department at my school. My other a level options are Bio, Chem, Sociology, Psychology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShaneJ
Hello what are some advanced maths qualifications? I really like mechanics and computing maths and stuff, I know their is A Level maths but can someone recommend a course or exam. I am not going to pick it as an option due to conflict in the maths department at my school. My other a level options are Bio, Chem, Sociology, Psychology

There isn't a well respected alternative to A Level maths. New qualifications are proposed but won't be available anytime soon.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
There isn't a well respected alternative to A Level maths. New qualifications are proposed but won't be available anytime soon.

Oh okay, I guess i will be self teaching A Level maths then. I was thinking of the Edexcel Bored but cant find a good textbook for M4-5 can you recommend one?
Original post by ShaneJ
Oh okay, I guess i will be self teaching A Level maths then. I was thinking of the Edexcel Bored but cant find a good textbook for M4-5 can you recommend one?

M4-5?

You don't need to go Higher than M2 in A Level maths.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
M4-5?

You don't need to go Higher than M2 in A Level maths.

I am going for FM and Additonal FM as-well, Sociology is very easy so i can focus on maths
Original post by ShaneJ
I am going for FM and Additonal FM as-well, Sociology is very easy so i can focus on maths

I take it you are just being silly. One hour ago you weren't even going to study A Level maths.
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
I take it you are just being silly. One hour ago you weren't even going to study A Level maths.

No, I have been thinking of it for along time but keep saying no because i am unsure, I have the specs and sams for it AQA and Edexcel but i am not sure about it.
Reply 7
Some advanced maths qualifications? How about a PhD in the field? :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Noble.
Some advanced maths qualifications? How about a PhD in the field? :tongue:

Yes, My cousin got his last year, I was reading through his notes and they are so interesting.
Reply 9
Original post by ShaneJ
Yes, My cousin got his last year, I was reading through his notes and they are so interesting.

Can't have made much sense reading 'notes' on a PhD with only GCSE Maths :lol:
Reply 10
Original post by Noble.
Can't have made much sense reading 'notes' on a PhD with only GCSE Maths :lol:

They did make sense, I read lots of books (textbooks). I really want to do an OU Maths Degree at home and do Science at Uni but i don't know
Reply 11
Original post by ShaneJ
They did make sense, I read lots of books (textbooks). I really want to do an OU Maths Degree at home and do Science at Uni but i don't know

What's his PhD in?
Original post by ShaneJ
really want to do an OU Maths Degree at home and do Science at Uni but i don't know

why?

I cannot understand why, if you are as keen on maths as you suggest, you would not want to read maths

Also ... if you are really keen on doing maths post 16 I suggest that you look to change schools to one where there is a good maths team
Original post by ShaneJ

Weird that yesterday you didn't show any interest in mathematics at all.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=43542033

I'm keeping an eye on this thread and am minded to close it so be warned.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Noble.
What's his PhD in?

Fluid Mechanics and Post Doc Thermodynamics (Physics but still Maths)
Reply 15
Original post by TenOfThem
why?

I cannot understand why, if you are as keen on maths as you suggest, you would not want to read maths

Also ... if you are really keen on doing maths post 16 I suggest that you look to change schools to one where there is a good maths team

I am keen on maths but everyone thinks i am stupid so i don't like to show off because people don't like it when you are cleaver in my school
Reply 16
Original post by Mr M
Weird that yesterday you didn't show any interest in mathematics at all.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=43542033

I'm keeping an eye on this thread and am minded to close it so be warned.

I really do have an interest in mathematics, That thread was the ones i am going to do most probably but now no Japanese a waste of time and money.
Original post by ShaneJ
I am keen on maths but everyone thinks i am stupid so i don't like to show off because people don't like it when you are cleaver in my school

Can I suggest you prioritise a basic English qualification ahead of one in advanced maths?

In this thread you have used their for there, bored for board and cleaver for clever.
Reply 18
Original post by Mr M
Can I suggest you prioritise a basic English qualification ahead of one in advanced maths?

In this thread you have used their for there, bored for board and cleaver for clever.

I am sorry if my dyslexia bothers you so much but yes i do have a 'basic English qualification'
Reply 19
Original post by Mr M

Original post by ShaneJ
No, I have been thinking of it for along time but keep saying no because i am unsure, I have the specs and sams for it AQA and Edexcel but i am not sure about it.

Agree with Mr. M; can't understand someone wanting to do three A-Levels worth of maths and not consider dropping some of the other subjects.

And there is no way you could understand a PhD thesis in fluid dynamics without even doing A-Level maths. Having done a non-research thesis, it took me a year to understand some of the basic papers in my field. It's great to have ambition but in maths it's very important to get a good foundation so you can really understand what's going on when it gets more advanced

Latest