The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shamika
Agree with Mr. M; can't understand someone wanting to do three A-Levels worth of maths and not consider dropping some of the other subjects.

And there is no way you could understand a PhD thesis in fluid dynamics without even doing A-Level maths. Having done a non-research thesis, it took me a year to understand some of the basic papers in my field. It's great to have ambition but in maths it's very important to get a good foundation so you can really understand what's going on when it gets more advanced

Quite.
Reply 21
Original post by shamika
Agree with Mr. M; can't understand someone wanting to do three A-Levels worth of maths and not consider dropping some of the other subjects.

And there is no way you could understand a PhD thesis in fluid dynamics without even doing A-Level maths. Having done a non-research thesis, it took me a year to understand some of the basic papers in my field. It's great to have ambition but in maths it's very important to get a good foundation so you can really understand what's going on when it gets more advanced

Yeah but you only have a degree in maths, he's read textbooks Shamika!
Reply 22
Original post by Mr M
Can I suggest you prioritise a basic English qualification ahead of one in advanced maths?

In this thread you have used their for there, bored for board and cleaver for clever.

That's a comment slightly on the harsher side for you :wink:

OP, take a-level maths and if it comes to it, self-teach yourself if you're so passionate :smile:.
Reply 23
Original post by shamika

The thing is I love to learn and yes i know 'you only need 4 a levels' but i really want to understand everything and anything. I grew up with my cousin doing maths so i understand a lot true i don't know everything in his thesis but i know enough to get by.
Original post by ShaneJ
The thing is I love to learn and yes i know 'you only need 4 a levels' but i really want to understand everything and anything. I grew up with my cousin doing maths so i understand a lot true i don't know everything in his thesis but i know enough to get by.

Choose 4 A levels (5 if you must) and study them properly

Do not waste your tie dipping lightly into lots of them

Read beyond the subjects and understand the concepts ... that is of far more use than skimming the syllabus of 7 or 8 subjects
Reply 25
Original post by TenOfThem
Choose 4 A levels (5 if you must) and study them properly

Do not waste your tie dipping lightly into lots of them

Read beyond the subjects and understand the concepts ... that is of far more use than skimming the syllabus of 7 or 8 subjects

Yes, I understand what you are saying but i can't do maths at my school due to conflict
Reply 26
Original post by ShaneJ
Yes, I understand what you are saying but i can't do maths at my school due to conflict

What, you can't do maths at all? Or you just can't do further maths?
Reply 27
Original post by Noble.
What, you can't do maths at all? Or you just can't do further maths?

Maths at all
Reply 28
Original post by ShaneJ
Maths at all

What does it conflict with?
Original post by ShaneJ
Maths at all

I have to ask - what is this "conflict" you referred to?
Original post by ShaneJ

Then transfer to another school

That is what people do at sixth form if they need to study something unavailable to them
Reply 31
Original post by Noble.
What does it conflict with?

Original post by Mr M
I have to ask - what is this "conflict" you referred to?

I argued with the head of the maths department because i could not learn in my class and due to the fact of my dyslexia he though putting me in a set 5 class was best and when i proceed to do maths on his white board he got a little annoyed and said i should not question him as he is a teacher and he knows best and not to bother doing a level maths as i am stupid.
Original post by ShaneJ
I argued with the head of the maths department because i could not learn in my class and due to the fact of my dyslexia he though putting me in a set 5 class was best and when i proceed to do maths on his white board he got a little annoyed and said i should not question him as he is a teacher and he knows best and not to bother doing a level maths as i am stupid.

I don't believe a word of that.
Reply 33
Just stop posting everyone, this is clearly a troll and does not deserve a response.
Reply 34
Original post by TenOfThem
Then transfer to another school

That is what people do at sixth form if they need to study something unavailable to them

I get on well with all my other teachers and have a very strong relationship with them and have all ready started coursework for next year up at my high school. and i have not applied to any where else.
Original post by Mr M

Was it you M?
Reply 36
Original post by ShaneJ

So somehow you understand PhD level mathematics but your teacher, teaching you the relative joke that is GCSE Maths thinks you're not capable of doing A-Level Maths? :lol:
Reply 37
Original post by Mr M

I typed it wrong sorry, I meant he put me in the class due to the dyslexia but i could learn but in set 5 its not proper maths
Reply 38
Original post by Noble.
So somehow you understand PhD level mathematics but your teacher, teaching you the relative joke that is GCSE Maths thinks you're not capable of doing A-Level Maths? :lol:

He is not my teacher, the head of maths. In school i don't like to show off about things so i try to keep my self to my self. My maths teacher loves me and thinks i am capable but the HOD dose not
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2382693

Hmmmmm I had not realised that you have actually failed GCSE Maths

I am going to be honest ... if you were not capable of self teaching yourself GCSE maths to at least a C then you are not going to be able to do A Level Maths

Latest