The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's really easy to get into my schools sixth form :tongue: they have such low standards compared to other schools that pretty much anyone can enter. I think they raised the boundary to a B in GCSE sciences this year but there are still only like 7 kids in each class lol. Will probs be pretty easy for me to get a Nuffield bursary...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2181
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Oh, I don't mean A Levels, I mean my A Level results next week:cry2:

Hmmm... I can't honestly say I'll be happy unless I get dix A*s :frown:

Oh right! Sorry just got up :p:o

I bet you're worried, less than a week away too!! :eek:

Best of Luck for them :smile:
Original post by Maths0
What do you mean if it's too extreme? Oooh, sometimes do they just accept the teachers marks without moderation? :eek: Do you know what sample size they'd want from a controlled assessment of about 10 pages and 23ish by the way? :smile: sorry for the questions!

like if the teacher has marked too harshly or too leniently :smile: and no they have to moderate! but if the teachers marking is okay they don't have to check the other papers :smile: and no I don't know the sample size sorry :frown:
Original post by elixirs
Ahh, us two alike then:tongue:

haha yupp apparently :lol:

Original post by pinkgorilla
Is that actually true that if you do Gold you're guaranteed an interview? Because I completed Bronze in year 9 and silver in year 10 and Im still deciding whether to do Gold in Year 12 or not? But will a Gold Duke of Edinburgh boost my application if I were to apply to Medicine? Thanks :biggrin:

apparently :biggrin: that's what my tutor says :smile: and i'm sure it said it somewhere on the website :smile:

and yes it most definitely will, majority will have bronze or silver but actually not that many will have gold, it will also give you an excellent talking point in your interview :smile:
Original post by Tibbz2
Oh right! Sorry just got up :p:o

I bet you're worried, less than a week away too!! :eek:

Best of Luck for them :smile:

My fault :tongue:

Yeah, 6 days :afraid:

Thank you!:biggrin:
Reply 2185
Original post by techno836
haha yupp apparently :lol:

apparently :biggrin: that's what my tutor says :smile: and i'm sure it said it somewhere on the website :smile:

and yes it most definitely will, majority will have bronze or silver but actually not that many will have gold, it will also give you an excellent talking point in your interview :smile:

Yeah! Obviously it won't guarantee you an interview! ^^ :smile: But it's something to talk about for sure! I know universities like a well-rounded individual- I want to do dentistry, and a lot of it is clinical-based. Therefore you have to show that you have the aptitude to cope well with the academics of the course, yet also be able to use skills, etc... to be able to communicate well with clients. Extra-curricular activities all show progression and dedication! Probably similar to medicine I suppose!
Original post by Jatz07
Hey man,

Good Luck for your A-level results next week!!
Which A-levels Results are you getting? I'm guessing Maths :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Let me know how you do mate :smile:

Jatz

Maths A2 and History AS! I'm excited :mmm:

I will!
Reply 2187
13 days.....
Reply 2188
Good luck to everyone getting their results this month. I myself will be collecting my GCSE Results and I'm really nervous! I am predicted mainly A's and A*'s however I don't think I will get them all. I struggled with Chemistry, Physics and Maths but hopefully I'll get at least a B in those.

I have to enrol for Sixth Form on the 22nd too. I have a question. I really want to study Law at University in a couple of years, therefore should I study A Level Law? Lots of people have told me universities don't accept it but other people are all for the idea? Confused!! Please help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saima97
Good luck to everyone getting their results this month. I myself will be collecting my GCSE Results and I'm really nervous! I am predicted mainly A's and A*'s however I don't think I will get them all. I struggled with Chemistry, Physics and Maths but hopefully I'll get at least a B in those.

I have to enrol for Sixth Form on the 22nd too. I have a question. I really want to study Law at University in a couple of years, therefore should I study A Level Law? Lots of people have told me universities don't accept it but other people are all for the idea? Confused!! Please help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

First of all do you have any specific Universities in mind? :smile:
Reply 2190
Gah i'm already nervous for results day!
Oh and i want to ask whether these subjects would be good to study at A-level and whether they'd be strong subjects to take if i wish to go into criminology (although i'm not 100% sure i'm going into it at university)
-Psychology
-Law
-English Language
-Religious Studies

Has anyone already studied these and if so, how did you find them?
Reply 2191
Original post by JessJJ
Oh and i want to ask whether these subjects would be good to study at A-level and whether they'd be strong subjects to take if i wish to go into criminology (although i'm not 100% sure i'm going into it at university)
-Psychology
-Law
-English Language
-Religious Studies

I think English Lit is a better choice than lang for criminology, and is a far better regarded A Level overall too :smile:

You should consider taking it if you like it or are good at it
I'm still very undecided about which A levels to choose. I don't know what job I'd like, I don't enjoy a lot of subjects, and I'm fairly good at most subjects... So I'm finding it hard to pick.

Half of me hopes that I fail most of my GCSEs so my decision of which subjects to do at A-level is kind of already made for me as I'd only have the grades for certain courses :tongue: ...it would be a blessing in disguise!

If I do well in my GCSEs though, I guess I'll just have to make a spontaneous decision on enrolment day and hope for the best!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JessJJ
-Psychology
-Law
-English Language
-Religious Studies

I've done RS (just finished the AS) and I found it enjoyable. :smile: There's loads of discussion and debating involved etc but you'll soon get used to it. One thing to note is that there is LOADS of essays to write (I got about two every week, but it depends on where you go :tongue:) but the technique of the essay isn't hard to grasp at all, as opposed to something like English or History. Once you've written a few, you'll get used to it so don't worry. You don't need RS at GCSE to take the A-Level, but if you've done it, there's loads more writing and the content is more interesting. If you need any more advice or help regarding RS feel free to ask me. :wink:
Reply 2194
Original post by HeyThereHarry
I'm still very undecided about which A levels to choose. I don't know what job I'd like, I don't enjoy a lot of subjects, and I'm fairly good at most subjects... So I'm finding it hard to pick.

Half of me hopes that I fail most of my GCSEs so my decision of which subjects to do at A-level is kind of already made for me as I'd only have the grades for certain courses :tongue: ...it would be a blessing in disguise!

If I do well in my GCSEs though, I guess I'll just have to make a spontaneous decision on enrolment day and hope for the best!

I think if you want to keep most options open to you, maths and science's would be good choices as some of your A Levels.
The A levels I'm taking are Maths, Physics, Computing and Electronics. I want to study either Computer science or Electronic engineering at Uni! Is anyone else doing anything similar?

Original post by Saima97

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in a similar boat to you, I'm predicted all As but doubt that I'll get them. The two subjects I have the most doubt with are Chemistry and German! Although I've already got an A* in Maths and I'm confident I'll get an A in physics!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JessJJ
-Psychology
-Law
-English Language
-Religious Studies

Those are good subjects to take if you want to do Criminology. It is up to you if you want to take Lang or Lit. Whatever you are best at.
Reply 2197
Has anyone done any preparation work for A levels? I want to but I have spent a whole month on summer homework because I have lost the will to study for hours on end :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ani97
Has anyone done any preparation work for A levels? I want to but I have spent a whole month on summer homework because I have lost the will to study for hours on end :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done none!
Original post by Ani97

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done a lot for AS maths :smile: but that was at the start of the holidays .. will probably do more after results day though :smile:

Latest