The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6580
Original post by ..DT..
Bowe is a solid wide out, he'll put up 5-7 TDs this year and 1k yards minimum. He's never had a decent QB throw to him, it'll feel like his birthday.

Are we talking about the same Alex Smith here?
Original post by munn

Smith is alright never realized though he was the best NFL red zone QB since he last came into the NFL.
Reply 6582
Original post by Malevolent
Smith is alright never realized though he was the best NFL red zone QB since he last came into the NFL.

He might not throw interceptions in the redzone, that doesn't make him the best - there's a reason David Akers set all sort of records in 2011, and that reason was Alex Smith.

The biggest problem with Alex Smith is although it looks as if he protects the ball (just 10 interceptions in his last 26 games), part of the reason for that is that he simply accepts the sack rather than throw the ball away (which can sometimes be picked off) (most sacked in the NFL in 2011 and top 5 before his injury in 2012). That's despite the 49ers having without doubt the best O-Line in the league.
Alex Smith is a bottom 10 QB in the league (albeit at the upper end of that scale)

That said, Andy Reid is probably the one coach in the league better at handling QBs than Harbaugh, so I'm interested to see how this pans out
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by munn
He might not throw interceptions in the redzone, that doesn't make him the best - there's a reason David Akers set all sort of records in 2011, and that reason was Alex Smith.

The biggest problem with Alex Smith is although it looks as if he protects the ball (just 10 interceptions in his last 26 games), part of the reason for that is that he simply accepts the sack rather than throw the ball away (which can sometimes be picked off) (most sacked in the NFL in 2011 and top 5 before his injury in 2012). That's despite the 49ers having without doubt the best O-Line in the league.
Alex Smith is a bottom 10 QB in the league (albeit at the upper end of that scale)

That said, Andy Reid is probably the one coach in the league better at handling QBs than Harbaugh, so I'm interested to see how this pans out

I wasn't saying he was the best haha I was just bringing that up because I was surprised how good he is in the redzone haha :lol:

I think hes average Smith. Don't think hes as bad as bottom 10.
Reply 6584
Original post by Malevolent
I wasn't saying he was the best haha I was just bringing that up because I was surprised how good he is in the redzone haha :lol:

I think hes average Smith. Don't think hes as bad as bottom 10.

but you said "best red zone QB"!

Nah I can name 22 QBs better than him straight off the bat

Brady
Rodgers
Manning
Manning
Flacco
Roethlisberger
Brees
Stafford
Ryan
Kaepernick
Wilson
RGIII
Luck
Tannehill
Dalton
Newton
Romo
Cutler
Rivers
Schaub
Vick

Damn, stumped at 21. Maybe EJ Manuel will be better and make it 22. Either way, I'd rather have any one of the 21 above than Alex Smith, then at least there's a couple of young players which have shown flashes of upside like Bradford, Freeman and (whisper it), Ponder that have a case for being preferable options. Even Carson Palmer could make a case too considering his last 2 years were with the Raiders, and before that he was with the pre-AJ Green Bengals receivers, we'll see how he gets on with a legitimate target for the first time in about 7 years with Fitz.
Reply 6585
Original post by munn

Your telling me you wouldn't rather have smith throw the ball to you than Brady ****ing Quinn?

He's not 'elite' and probably not in the tier underneath but I highly doubt they will find themselves 14-0 in the first 5 mins from 2 defensive TDs this season.

Schaub a better QB than Smith? Only if we're assessing their ability to hand off the ball.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by munn
but you said "best red zone QB"!

Nah I can name 22 QBs better than him straight off the bat

Brady
Rodgers
Manning
Manning
Flacco
Roethlisberger
Brees
Stafford
Ryan
Kaepernick
Wilson
RGIII
Luck
Tannehill
Dalton
Newton
Romo
Cutler
Rivers
Schaub
Vick

Damn, stumped at 21. Maybe EJ Manuel will be better and make it 22. Either way, I'd rather have any one of the 21 above than Alex Smith, then at least there's a couple of young players which have shown flashes of upside like Bradford, Freeman and (whisper it), Ponder that have a case for being preferable options. Even Carson Palmer could make a case too considering his last 2 years were with the Raiders, and before that he was with the pre-AJ Green Bengals receivers, we'll see how he gets on with a legitimate target for the first time in about 7 years with Fitz.

Now that you said it haha I agree :laugh:
Reply 6587
Original post by ..DT..
Your telling me you wouldn't rather have smith throw the ball to you than Brady ****ing Quinn?

He's not 'elite' and probably not in the tier underneath but I highly doubt they will find themselves 14-0 in the first 5 mins from 2 defensive TDs this season.

Schaub a better QB than Smith? Only if we're assessing their ability to hand off the ball.

Maybe not Brady Quinn, but I don't see that much difference between Cassel and Smith, at least before he started getting injured in 2011 Cassel had actually shown an ability to pass for more than 20 TDs in a season (twice), something Smith hasn't done in any of his 8 years in the league as a starter
Original post by munn
Maybe not Brady Quinn, but I don't see that much difference between Cassel and Smith, at least before he started getting injured in 2011 Cassel had actually shown an ability to pass for more than 20 TDs in a season (twice), something Smith hasn't done in any of his 8 years in the league as a starter

Too be fair Smith hasn't got the best scheme to put up big numbers although it could just be that way because they are trying not to expose him too much :ninja:

Who has everyone put their bets on this season?
Reply 6589
Original post by munn

Cassel is a turnover machine. As far as things go, Smith has used what he's been given and ground out wins. I appreciate that the chiefs QBs spent a lot of time chasing games last year leading to turnovers but I think this year with a far more complete offense and Reid on the sideline Bowe will be allowed to put up some serious numbers.
Reply 6590
i have got the most beautiful stream for the colts bills game. **** is 1080p vevo quality.OH IT'S BEAUTIFUL. I might actually watch the full thing.
Original post by 419
i have got the most beautiful stream for the colts bills game. **** is 1080p vevo quality.OH IT'S BEAUTIFUL. I might actually watch the full thing.

How so if I may ask? :tongue:
Reply 6592
Original post by ..DT..
Cassel is a turnover machine. As far as things go, Smith has used what he's been given and ground out wins. I appreciate that the chiefs QBs spent a lot of time chasing games last year leading to turnovers but I think this year with a far more complete offense and Reid on the sideline Bowe will be allowed to put up some serious numbers.

Under Harbaugh that's true... because the offense was all low-risk checkdown passes and taking sacks rather than risk interceptions. Before Harbaugh arrived Smith had a career 51-53 TD-INT ratio (albeit his 1-11 rookie season skews it somewhat).
If you want an quarterback that can set up field goals, Alex Smith is your man, if you want one that actually takes chances, look elsewhere.
Reply 6593
Original post by munn
Under Harbaugh that's true... because the offense was all low-risk checkdown passes and taking sacks rather than risk interceptions. Before Harbaugh arrived Smith had a career 51-53 TD-INT ratio (albeit his 1-11 rookie season skews it somewhat).
If you want an quarterback that can set up field goals, Alex Smith is your man, if you want one that actually takes chances, look elsewhere.

As long as Bowe gets 80 yards per game setting up those field goals my original point still stands :biggrin:

I'm not going into a QB argument. They always last weeks haha.
I get your munn's point but I'm not quite sure about some of the details. 49ers O line may have made Smith look good, but Smith helped make them look good too by being very effective against the blitz in terms of both smarts and scheme. I also think Smith is definitely capable of having a better season than quite a few QBs on that list, Tannehill (even though I think he's highly underrated as a prospect), Dalton, definitely Vick and maybe even Rivers.. under some circumstances. I think he is definitely in that kind of tier. Either way a competent QB who can manage the games is exactly what the Chiefs need. I didn't watch many of their games but on paper Cassel was NOT in a tough situation, looking at the players around him he was in a playoff contending situation but he was just too **** to come close.

Watching just the highlights I think Geno Smith looked way crisper than Sanchez before he got hurt so that could be an interesting one. Nice feet and nice zip on the ball. Sanchez looked panicky on the screens he ****ed up. The O line is bad enough that they really need someone who can execute that play reliably IMO (well any play really). I think Smith will start sooner rather than later.

Tebow still can't throw and is still overrated as a runner.

NFL.com showed a pretty cool highlight of Manti Teo just getting blown up. If he doesn't learn how to take on guards he will not make it out of his rookie deal. Then again he probably won't anyway.
Reply 6595
If by "making sure you don't fumble" when you take a sack is effective blitz management I agree.
I didn't say the 49ers O-Line made Smith look good, what I said was, when you have an All-Pro left tackle and guard, a Pro-Bowl center and left guard and a sorely underrated RT who is certainly Pro-Bowl level, you shouldn't be taking 44 sacks in a season - especially a player as mobile as Alex Smith.

Incredibly, both Kaepernick and Alex Smith had exactly 218 pass attempts last year, behind the same line (as a first time starter), Kaepernick was sacked 16 times as opposed to Smith's 24 times. Yes Kaepernick has more mobility, but a lot of those sacks came down to inexperience and it's likely he'll improve upon that number this year. At least they drafted Eric Fisher to give Smith a chance to occasionally throw the ball. I still expect to see him lead the league in sacks this year.
Original post by munn
If by "making sure you don't fumble" when you take a sack is effective blitz management I agree.

I mean "according to Pro Football Focus, Smith's completion percentage, quarterback rating, average yards per attempt, and touchdown-to-interception ratio against blitzes have all been much better than Smith's historical averages, but also better than his performance on all other downs."

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7218353/quarterbacking-made-simple
Reply 6597
pro football focus also rated Earl Thomas the 34th best cornerback in the league last year

Stats are all good and well until they don't pass the eyeball test.

Also, all that article does is confirm that the reason Alex Smith has improved is because of Harbaugh's scheme
(edited 10 years ago)
Smith will go well this year, he is a good steady QB but he will never set the world a light over the season and he won't be winning games single-handedly. If the option read continues to work this year Smith like QB's could become a dying breed
Original post by munn
pro football focus also rated Earl Thomas the 34th best cornerback in the league last year

Stats are all good and well until they don't pass the eyeball test.

Also, all that article does is confirm that the reason Alex Smith has improved is because of Harbaugh's scheme

The eyeball test really needs to be taken with a grain of salt if it's from TV angles.. so Alex Smith has or hasn't improved against the blitz? Before you said he hasn't, now you're saying he has but it's all scheme. Which is it?

Original post by The_Faceman
Smith will go well this year, he is a good steady QB but he will never set the world a light over the season and he won't be winning games single-handedly. If the option read continues to work this year Smith like QB's could become a dying breed

If the option works well why would QBs who ran it in college become a dying breed? Or do you mean white QBs?

Latest