The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kallisto
I guess the only member who can help me now is Ronove. I wish that she were here... but wait! there is another forum which seems to be more appropriate, as there are members who learn German and speaks English. Why I'm so sad? there is always a solution!

Original post by constantmeowage
I've replied to you...

I love the dramatics :mmm:

French question:
I should have...? = j'aurais dû...?
I could have...? = j'aurais pu...?
Reply 6221
No one who wants to help me? no one who can help me? no one who wants to reply my question above? :frown:

I don't speak German, sorry. :redface:
No one who wants to help me? no one who can help me? no one who wants to reply my question above? :frown:

I think it's the conditional perfect, and so 'wäre gewesen' should be translated as 'would have been'. Not 100% sure though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6223
Original post by Gales
Don't forget that Spanish also uses diaeresis on Us too (ü). Even my Spanish lecturer at uni forgot to teach us it, she claimed Spanish only used acute accents too :tongue:

Oh of course, but honestly, how often do you use it? :rolleyes: I wouldn't have learnt it if our teacher hadn't taught us the word piragüismo.
Original post by AquisM
Haha Nah, it's just that Dutch seems to have a lot more j's. :biggrin:

Italian - practically only one out of the three that uses the grave accent - although Portuguese uses it for a few circumstances), quite a few apostrophes
Spanish - not many q's, only uses acute accents (ó) and the only one out the three that uses ñ
Portuguese - only one out of the three that uses the circumflex accent - Italian uses it for a few rare circumstances), the c-cedilla ç and the tilde (õ) on vowels

People always say that! I don't see it lol
The obvious difference is that Dutch doesn't capitalise every noun.

Hmm that's a lot of 'o's' :tongue:

is ñ pronounced like "io" by any chance?

Like in the name :3 Alysia Montaño :3

And do Italian an Spanish feuture the upside down question mark?
I've replied to you...

Thanks to you! as far as I can see the first example can be translated literally?
Reply 6226
Original post by thatitootoo
People always say that! I don't see it lol
The obvious difference is that Dutch doesn't capitalise every noun.

Oh right, that too!

Hmm that's a lot of 'o's' :tongue:

Hehe I just chose a random vowel.

is ñ pronounced like "io" by any chance?

Like in the name :3 Alysia Montaño :3

It's pronounced sort of like the ny in canyon.

And do Italian an Spanish feuture the upside down question mark?

Spanish does (and the upside down exclamation mark). I think Catalan uses it too, but those are the only two (to my knowledge).
Es wäre gewesen - it would have been :smile:

That's exactly what I thought. I just don't trust myself enough to give German/English/Any advise...lol
Original post by AquisM
Oh right, that too!

Hehe I just chose a random vowel.

It's pronounced sort of like the ny in canyon.

Spanish does (and the upside down exclamation mark). I think Catalan uses it too, but those are the only two (to my knowledge).

Ahh I seee. And I meant Portuguese...EVERYBODY and their dog knows that Spanish features an upside down question mark :wink:
Reply 6229
Original post by AquisM
Oh of course, but honestly, how often do you use it? :rolleyes: I wouldn't have learnt it if our teacher hadn't taught us the word piragüismo.

Well, it's in some common words like vergüenza, lingüística etc. :smile:
Reply 6230
Original post by Gales
Well, it's in some common words like vergüenza, lingüística etc. :smile:

Ah, meh. I suppose you have a point. :tongue:
Reply 6231
Original post by thatitootoo
Ahh I seee. And I meant Portuguese...EVERYBODY and their dog knows that Spanish features an upside down question mark :wink:

Hehe repped you for that. :smile:
Original post by AquisM
Hehe repped you for that. :smile:

Muchas gratcias!

(Perhaps I should just stick to German for now ey:wink:)

:grin: Tootoo
Reply 6233
Interestingly, inverted question/exclamation marks were once used in Galician and Catalan; but they're no longer recommended. Long live inverted grammar points :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6234
Original post by Gales
Interestingly, inverted question/exclamation marks were once used in Galician and Catalan; but they're no longer recommended. Long live inverted grammar points :biggrin:

Oh I didn't know about Galician. Muchas gracias! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6235
Original post by AquisM
Oh I didn't know about Galician. Muchas gracias! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Galician is cool, since you study Spanish; watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scb_g98Ra7Q

It's interesting how much you can understand
Reply 6236
Original post by Gales
Galician is cool, since you study Spanish; watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scb_g98Ra7Q

It's interesting how much you can understand

Oh I know. I'm very interested in it since I learn Spanish and want to learn Portuguese. Thanks for the video, I'll watch when I get home (forgot to bring my earphones with me :rolleyes:).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi :smile: I'm sort of new to TSR, am I right in thinking this is a thread for aspiring linguists?
Original post by Alludeen1
Hi :smile: I'm sort of new to TSR, am I right in thinking this is a thread for aspiring linguists?

Yup, the name kinda says it all. :wink:
What languages are you learning/can speak?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marii101
Yup, the name kinda says it all. :wink:
What languages are you learning/can speak?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm learning French and Spanish and about to do them at A level with Chemistry and Economics too. I also did Latin GCSE :colone:

Latest

Trending

Trending