The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4100
Original post by techno836
I have a friend who is a computer genius he does top coding in several languages and everything ... but he only got a C at GCSE computing :frown: (he hates exams )

No problem :smile:

Coding is actually different to the exam unless its computer science based.

The exam for me was like general knowledge. It ranged from easy questions such as "this person is after a camcorder, that he can use in the sea. Choose a suitable one for him" And you'd have to compare the specifications.
But there were also some tricky questions like SSL and bandwidth and latency etc.
Original post by Galin
Does anyone know when the schools receive the results?

Day before :smile: 21st :smile:
Reply 4102
Original post by Galin

21st
Original post by zed963
Coding is actually different to the exam unless its computer science based.

The exam for me was like general knowledge. It ranged from easy questions such as "this person is after a camcorder, that he can use in the sea. Choose a suitable one for him" And you'd have to compare the specifications.
But there were also some tricky questions like SSL and bandwidth and latency etc.

I don't know what the exam is like, but he can name tons of hardware and work a load of software etc. ..I just don't see what happened :lol:
Reply 4104
Day before :smile: 21st :smile:

Original post by zed963
21st

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 4105
I don't know what the exam is like, but he can name tons of hardware and work a load of software etc. ..I just don't see what happened :lol:

but like computing is different from i.t because theres no way id be able to do computing, but i can work softwares..
Reply 4106

True,
Original post by Galin
Thanks! :smile:

no problem :smile:
Reply 4108
Original post by h3lpme.
but like computing is different from i.t because theres no way id be able to do computing, but i can work softwares..

They're not different.

They both require software and they both require a device.

I.T is generally spreadsheets, databases and documents etc.

Computer science is basically things to do with C++ Java PHP etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by h3lpme.

Original post by zed963
True,

I'm not an IT person :frown: ..I probably could be if I had taken interest earlier but it's too late now :frown:
Reply 4110
I'm not an IT person :frown: ..I probably could be if I had taken interest earlier but it's too late now :frown:

It's never too late.

You can ask me any IT related question, I'll be more than happy to help. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by zed963
It's never too late.

You can me any IT related question, I'll be more than happy to help. :smile:

haha well i'd gladly learn it on the side of my A levels but I've got a lot of other stuff to do really :frown:
Reply 4112
haha well i'd gladly learn it on the side of my A levels but I've got a lot of other stuff to do really :frown:

Yeah that's fine, you can learn it at your own pace.

To get familiar with the hardware check out these sites:

www.scan.co.uk
www.dabs.com
www.ebuyer.co.uk

Also check on YouTube, just type in Linus tech tips and a bunch of videos will pop up.
Original post by Galin

My school receives it 2 days before apparently, and the teachers (when they put it in the envelopes) take a look at it the day before - though this is for the end of year 10 and the results were posted home, so I don't know whether it applies for yr 11 or not :s-smilie:. But I do know that teachers see the results 1 day before, and I was told that it is on a computer and they print them and put them in the brown envelopes and stuff.
Original post by zed963
21st

Really? Oh, my teacher told me that they get them 2 days before, does that mean she was probably talking about the Yr 10 results?
Reply 4115
Original post by theJdog
Really? Oh, my teacher told me that they get them 2 days before, does that mean she was probably talking about the Yr 10 results?

Well as far as I'm aware the results be online for edexcel on the 21st via edexcel online.
I'm not sure about the other exam boards.
Original post by zed963
Yeah that's fine, you can learn it at your own pace.

To get familiar with the hardware check out these sites:

www.scan.co.uk
www.dabs.com
www.ebuyer.co.uk

Also check on YouTube, just type in Linus tech tips and a bunch of videos will pop up.

Reply 4117
Original post by xxxKINGxxx
I don't read much into this... motivation will overwhelm any effect inherited benefits you get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:yes: ''Hard work beats talent, when talent fails to work hard'' < One of my favourite quotes:ahee:
Original post by sr234
:yes: ''Hard work beats talent, when talent fails to work hard'' < One of my favourite quotes:ahee:

mine is 'I'm a lucky person and I believe the harder you work the luckier you get'
Reply 4119
Original post by sr234

Mine is "your future is in your hands."

Latest