The Student Room Group

Physics at A-Level

I'm hitting college soon and my options are maths, further maths, economics and for my fourth option i was thinking business but i have heard business and economics are too closely related so universities dislike this. I was thinking physics but is physics hard at unviersity? I'm not the best at physics, truthfully, it is my weakest out of the three sciences. However i am fond of it and find it the most interesting.

It goes amazing with maths as I have found out but i want to know;
is it hard? explain in detail and rate it out of something out of hardness (in b4 dirty jokes)

is choosing maths, FURTHER MATHS and physics a good idea because of stress and hard work?

What can you do with a maths and physics a-level?
Reply 1
You can do science courses with maths & physics eg engineering, math, physics. Most of my friends who chose maths and physics were all planning to go to engineering so they were quite determined to do well. They seemed quite alright with it at AS but started complaining a lot at A2 (you don't have to worry about that yet). You might not have time for economics though.

I did physics (edexcel) and I found it quite alright. They were some concepts that were slightly confusing but you can get through it just by asking your teacher (you MUST ask if in doubt or you will never get it). You have to be able to apply the theories you've learnt and the practical might be slightly challenging since you have to design it yourself. Personally, I hated kinematics because I was so bad at it and I got confused with the equations but it should be alright for you since you're doing further maths. Difficulty level (10 being the most difficult): AS - 4/10, A2 - 7 or 8/10 -- I think you can actually score more easily in physics because of the grade boundaries (it's almost always easier to score in the second unit ie unit 2 and unit 5). A2 is more difficult but a lot more interesting.

Physics is completely irrelevant to the course I chose but I really enjoyed it and I don't regret choosing it because it's so interesting (I loved the astrophysics and nuclear physics bit
:colondollar:)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ca9194
You can do science courses with maths & physics eg engineering, math, physics. Most of my friends who chose maths and physics were all planning to go to engineering so they were quite determined to do well. They seemed quite alright with it at AS but started complaining a lot at A2 (you don't have to worry about that yet). You might not have time for economics though.

I did physics (edexcel) and I found it quite alright. They were some concepts that were slightly confusing but you can get through it just by asking your teacher (you MUST ask if in doubt or you will never get it). You have to be able to apply the theories you've learnt and the practical might be slightly challenging since you have to design it yourself. Personally, I hated kinematics because I was so bad at it and I got confused with the equations but it should be alright for you since you're doing further maths. Difficulty level (10 being the most difficult): AS - 4/10, A2 - 7 or 8/10 -- I think you can actually score more easily in physics because of the grade boundaries (it's almost always easier to score in the second unit ie unit 2 and unit 5). A2 is more difficult but a lot more interesting.

Physics is completely irrelevant to the course I chose but I really enjoyed it and I don't regret choosing it because it's so interesting (I loved the astrophysics and nuclear physics bit
:colondollar:)

I'm thinking of choosing it because of my love for physics. My physics teacher isn't very good so in college I may have the least knowledge of physics but I do want to do it. I'm scared I might mess up though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm guessing you would consider taking up a physics related course in university if you love physics so much so I think you should take it up just in case. You might regret it later if you decide not to and can't go into a course that you like.

I understand how is it like to have a bad physics teacher. I had a physics teacher who couldn't solve the problem and had to get another student to solve it for him -__- haa. I'm sure you can get through it if you put in more effort. Ask another teacher if your teacher can't explain it properly. Ask your friends. Go online and post on forums. I'm pretty sure you'll get satisfactory explanation in the end. You seem like you really like physics so go for it! I can recommend you a pretty good textbook for physics if you're doing edexcel (it's an old textbook so it doesn't have all the topics but it's really useful to me).
Reply 4
Original post by ca9194
I'm guessing you would consider taking up a physics related course in university if you love physics so much so I think you should take it up just in case. You might regret it later if you decide not to and can't go into a course that you like.

I understand how is it like to have a bad physics teacher. I had a physics teacher who couldn't solve the problem and had to get another student to solve it for him -__- haa. I'm sure you can get through it if you put in more effort. Ask another teacher if your teacher can't explain it properly. Ask your friends. Go online and post on forums. I'm pretty sure you'll get satisfactory explanation in the end. You seem like you really like physics so go for it! I can recommend you a pretty good textbook for physics if you're doing edexcel (it's an old textbook so it doesn't have all the topics but it's really useful to me).

Thanks for the information - before I wasn't certain but now I'm seriously considering it. And by the way, if I do bad at GCSE physics, will A-level physics be extremely hard for me? Say I get a C in GCSE physics..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I think you've actually already made up your mind to take it but you just need reassurance hahaha :biggrin: (sorry, psychology student). um, I have no idea how GCSE physics is like actually. I took O levels (I'm not that old :wink: my country still has O levels but I took my A levels in UK) and I heard O levels go more in depth than GCSE. Don't worry though because I didn't understand anything in my secondary school years and I practically had to learn it again in college. I can't offer you advice on GCSE to GCE transition but treat it as if you're learning something new. It doesn't matter if you're behind others because you can catch up as long as you practice diligently. You could try this method that my teacher uses: do past paper questions after every subtopic. Do it while the theory is still fresh in your head. The only way to find out what you don't know is to do questions!
Reply 6
For a levels I myself have decided on economics, math, physics and computing, I also plan to go into a tech based career, possibly doing computer science at uni.

business is definitely seen as being weaker than economics, it is described as vocationally based and is less intense based on my research. You probably thought this already but business focuses on, well, businesses, while economics details on the economy of the country, wow that was undescriptive but I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at.

Quick Reply

Latest