The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Remark in history.
Resit C3:smile:

I think and hope that'll rectify it all.

:biggrin:. No remark on C3?
Original post by lolface32
:biggrin:. No remark on C3?

:nah: because if it goes up anyway, and I got an A*, the UMS would still be sub 90.

So I might as well resit and aim higher.
Original post by aasvogel
The Geography exam wasn't too bad this year. The majority of revision for it was learning 10/11 case studies and only 1 or 2 actually came up (which was bloody frustrating!). Most of it was just common knowledge and if your answer is structures right, it shouldn't be too bad. I only need 51% for an A/ 78% for an A* so I'm happy enough with it.

It's tricky but the standard in our school is very high so you're taught really well. The difference is pretty big, the sentence structures are different (Verb/ Subject/ Object not Subject/ Verb/ Object) and then there's the added bonus of learning about eclipses and aspirations...

Oh well that's good. The language department at my school is also quite good. At least it is for Spanish and French, I dot know for German but I think they are at the same standard.
Original post by snikutsmullac
Did anybody do a Foreign Language with AQA and find the exams difficult?

Yeah, French and German.

French reading was terrible, I actually think I've missed out on my A* because of it, and my coursework was only about 2 or 3 marks less than full marks, which has been brought down by the stupid exam urggghhh it was the 'embarrassing moments' question -_-

Or was that listening? I can't actually remember lol

I seem to remember German as OK, but yeah way trickier than the past papers I did!

What did you do and how did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by suuupppp
Hey guys,

Just wondering, When sixth forms ask for a grade B in "English" Do they mean English language or Literature? Or combined?

Regards

It's usually language :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4765
The Geography exam wasn't too bad this year. The majority of revision for it was learning 10/11 case studies and only 1 or 2 actually came up (which was bloody frustrating!). Most of it was just common knowledge and if your answer is structures right, it shouldn't be too bad. I only need 51% for an A/ 78% for an A* so I'm happy enough with it.

It's tricky but the standard in our school is very high so you're taught really well. The difference is pretty big, the sentence structures are different (Verb/ Subject/ Object not Subject/ Verb/ Object) and then there's the added bonus of learning about eclipses and aspirations...

Which exam board are you with for geography ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zed963
Which exam board are you with for geography ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

CCEA :smile:
Original post by mascot of NI
Oh well that's good. The language department at my school is also quite good. At least it is for Spanish and French, I dot know for German but I think they are at the same standard.

Our Spanish department is good, but French not so much. How did you find the Spanish exams?
Our Spanish department is good, but French not so much. How did you find the Spanish exams?

I thought the Spanish reading wasn't too bad but the listening was tricky enough in some parts. Then again the listening is usually my worst part. How did you find it?
For the new year 12's I've just posted the new thread :smile:
Reply 4770
Original post by goldenshades
How did you find the exam?

Straightforward, it wasn't anything unusual.

What about you?

What did you get in your CAB?
Original post by economicsrocks
Yeah, French and German.

French reading was terrible, I actually think I've missed out on my A* because of it, and my coursework was only about 2 or 3 marks less than full marks, which has been brought down by the stupid exam urggghhh it was the 'embarrassing moments' question -_-

I seem to remember German as OK, but yeah way trickier than the past papers I did!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't do French but I do German and Spanish

I found the reading okay- hopefully I only lost a few marks on the last question. But the listening was a lot more difficult compared to other years! most people found these papers harder compared to past papers so hopefully grade boundaries should be lower, but tbh i don't know what aqa and gove plan to surprise gcse students with -___- I'm really scared I missed out on my chance of an a* :frown:

and to anyone doing spanish, I felt it was quite easy, but a lot of people in my school found it difficult as the questions were very vocab-specific. but overall I think the grade boundaries will be similar to past years- maybe only a few ums lower

hope everyone does well! x
Original post by techno836
For the new year 12's I've just posted the new thread :smile:

Link?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,
do you have any idea whether bmat is more recognised than ukcat. Are they of equal standard?
Yeah, French and German.

Posted from TSR Mobile

were you doing edexcel french? if so then i completely agree with you... :wink:
Original post by parasagarwal01
Hi everyone,
do you have any idea whether bmat is more recognised than ukcat. Are they of equal standard?

In terms of equal standard, both are really annoying similarly. But though, BMAT was supposed to be taken for those applying to top unis like Oxford & Imperial while UKCAT are for most medicine school: top or not like Aberdeen & Kings. It depends on which uni you want yo go.
Yeah, French and German.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only did German - Higher Reading and Higher Listening.

I seem to recall there being questions about what time of year people like to buy Christmas Presents, and a Laptop that was accidentally put on sale for the wrong price which resulted in loads of people trying to buy it.

Seriously, where do they get these question topics from? So many random things come up, it was horrible to revise. I don't think I done too bad in the reading but I hated the listening. Loads of questions sounded like they could have more than one of the answers.

My courseworks were all at an A grade, hopefull I'll get an A overall or at the very least a B. I think the boundaries will be low for German this year.
Reply 4778
Original post by snikutsmullac
I only did German - Higher Reading and Higher Listening.

I seem to recall there being questions about what time of year people like to buy Christmas Presents, and a Laptop that was accidentally put on sale for the wrong price which resulted in loads of people trying to buy it.

Seriously, where do they get these question topics from? So many random things come up, it was horrible to revise. I don't think I done too bad in the reading but I hated the listening. Loads of questions sounded like they could have more than one of the answers.

My courseworks were all at an A grade, hopefull I'll get an A overall or at the very least a B. I think the boundaries will be low for German this year.

I think we must have been on a different exam board as I don't remember those questions, but our listening started simple and descended into that kind of randomness, really annoying because none of the topics were what we were told to revise. Reading was better topic wise though!

I really hope the grade boundaries are low, I got high B's in the writing CW and possibly 'a solid A' in the orals, so I really want an A overall now, even though I would be happy with a B
Hi Guys,
Have any of you all started revising for AS level? Do you guys think that the revision guides are much better than the student book when it comes to revising for the exam?

Latest