The Student Room Group

Unis that don't interview for Chemical Engineering

Well I got my AS results and I got AABC in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology respectively. Initially I was going to apply for medicine but I'm not going to with those grades. Well I've enjoyed Chemistry and Physics so I've decided to go for Chemical engineering. I just wanted to know which Uni should I not apply to that do interview for ChemEng?

Thanks in Advance
Reply 1
Original post by 15nico360
Well I got my AS results and I got AABC in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology respectively. Initially I was going to apply for medicine but I'm not going to with those grades. Well I've enjoyed Chemistry and Physics so I've decided to go for Chemical engineering. I just wanted to know which Uni should I not apply to that do interview for ChemEng?

Thanks in Advance

I can only say from my experience in this application cycle, Sheffield and UCL did not interview me.

However the interviews are not that daunting, if you were going to apply to medicine you would have to be interviewed to get an offer so how come you don't want to go to an interview for Chemical Engineering?

With a little bit of preparation the interview should be fine and maybe even a little bit enjoyable.
Reply 2
Sheffield didn't interview me, Manchester did.
Reply 3
Original post by Tomupcraft
I can only say from my experience in this application cycle, Sheffield and UCL did not interview me.

However the interviews are not that daunting, if you were going to apply to medicine you would have to be interviewed to get an offer so how come you don't want to go to an interview for Chemical Engineering?

With a little bit of preparation the interview should be fine and maybe even a little bit enjoyable.

Thanks, initially I was looking at UCL because I really liked the course content. As for why I don't want to go for an interview, I feel as if I wouldn't get through as there will be other candidates with a lot more work experience to do with chemical engineering and they would perform better in terms of truly understanding about it, as I will only be able to read about it. May I ask which Uni you are going ?
Reply 4
Thanks, initially I was looking at UCL because I really liked the course content. As for why I don't want to go for an interview, I feel as if I wouldn't get through as there will be other candidates with a lot more work experience to do with chemical engineering and they would perform better in terms of truly understanding about it, as I will only be able to read about it. May I ask which Uni you are going ?

Do not worry about work experience, I had zilch! and I had no excuse as I live near a very heavily based chemical industry which most other candidates do not.
I was very much geared up to do medicine until about three months before my application was sent and had a change of heart.
I will be going to Imperial.
Reply 5
Original post by Tomupcraft
Do not worry about work experience, I had zilch! and I had no excuse as I live near a very heavily based chemical industry which most other candidates do not.
I was very much geared up to do medicine until about three months before my application was sent and had a change of heart.
I will be going to Imperial.

It nice to hear reassuring information like that, congrats on going to Imperial. I've seen their entry requirements are crazy high at A*A*A*, how likely to you think it is for me to get there with predictions of A*AA/A*A*A in maths, chem and physics
Reply 6
It nice to hear reassuring information like that, congrats on going to Imperial. I've seen their entry requirements are crazy high at A*A*A*, how likely to you think it is for me to get there with predictions of A*AA/A*A*A in maths, chem and physics

If you have all A's at AS and you manage to get the second A* prediction in chemistry then you will stand a really good chance as long as your interview goes well. Bear in mind no interview at imperial is the same. If you got AAAB at AS then by all means still apply, however I told myself before I got my AS grades that if I got AABB or less that I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

I had a pretty chilled interview where I was asked questions about what I did in my spare time while other applicants where asked mainly academic questions.

Also offers are quite unpredictable as I have seen this year, ranging from A*A*A/A*AAA to A*A*A*A* so be prepared to meet a A*A*A* offer if you get one.
Reply 7

Thanks in Advance

I applied for ChemEng this year. None of the unis I applied to interviewed me so Sheffield, Surrey, Aston and UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
- How do you know that the respected universities won't change their practices for the upcoming year?
- You are going to have interviews for ANY job you have so you should get experience as much as possible
-If there is no medical/ family reason for not wanting an interview, you are making a poor decision by neglecting certain universities on the premise that you may not get an interview.
Reply 9
Original post by djpailo
- How do you know that the respected universities won't change their practices for the upcoming year?
- You are going to have interviews for ANY job you have so you should get experience as much as possible
-If there is no medical/ family reason for not wanting an interview, you are making a poor decision by neglecting certain universities on the premise that you may not get an interview.

Everything you've said is correct however I personally dont want to apply to too many interview unis as I fear of being rejected in favour of people who have actually had experience in the chemical engineering field. I will be applying to some unis that interview but not too many.
Reply 10
Everything you've said is correct however I personally dont want to apply to too many interview unis as I fear of being rejected in favour of people who have actually had experience in the chemical engineering field. I will be applying to some unis that interview but not too many.

Work experience won't make too much of a difference don't worry about it :smile: You'll find plenty of TSR members who had no work experience but got into an engineering degree. As far as I can tell, most of my friends did not have work experience - only one did - prior to university. Industry and University are very different anyway. If you have worked before (I've worked in a supermarket), its all about customer, targets, teamwork, profits etc. You are always consciously aware of that. In university its all about grades and marks - hopefully career too (definitely try and get work experience during your degree course, not just one but two or three if possible).

Good luck and fear not :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by djpailo
Work experience won't make too much of a difference don't worry about it :smile: You'll find plenty of TSR members who had no work experience but got into an engineering degree. As far as I can tell, most of my friends did not have work experience - only one did - prior to university. Industry and University are very different anyway. If you have worked before (I've worked in a supermarket), its all about customer, targets, teamwork, profits etc. You are always consciously aware of that. In university its all about grades and marks - hopefully career too (definitely try and get work experience during your degree course, not just one but two or three if possible).

Good luck and fear not :smile:

Thanks man, really do appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest