The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4640
Hi, I'm wondering whether it's worth it to retake BOTH unit 1 and 2 to get an A in the a level overall? I gor a C at AS this year. In F321, I got 59/90 ums (grade c), in F322 I got 100/150 (grade C) and in F323 The coursework I got 41/60 (grade C). I'm not sure whether it would be best to resit both unit 1 and 2 or just one of those units. In which case, I don't know whether to resit unit 1 since it's easier and should be even easier since this will be the 3rd time I've sat it... or resit unit 2 since it's worth more. How hard would it be to get an A at A2 if I got a B in unit 2, but a C in unit 1 and the coursrwork still. How many UMS would I need to get in chem3 and chem 4 and the coursework?
Reply 4641
Original post by ChiefKeef
Hello there,

I got 118/150 in this exam, and overall I got 239 UMS in chemistry AS, do you think its worth going for a remark?

Thank you in advance

Hey :smile: Deffo think a remark may be good! 240 UMS is needed for an A so only 1 ums off... maybe wait till school starts and then ask your teacher to log into Active Results. From this the teacher can see the Question breakdown (ie where you got marks) If you think you should of got more marks on a question send for a re-mark.
Original post by ChloeBazingaa
Sent off for remark and for paper back when the remark is done

That's a good idea, I was thinking te other way round but might do it your way- going down to school tomorrow I try and sort it out I think.

Also, thank you whoever said about the deadline, I can't multiquote on here sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
That's a good idea, I was thinking te other way round but might do it your way- going down to school tomorrow I try and sort it out I think.

Also, thank you whoever said about the deadline, I can't multiquote on here sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Remember to get the remark first - I remember reading somewhere that if you get the script back then they can't remark it.
(not sure how true this is but I wouldn't like it to happen to anyone)
Original post by ChloeBazingaa
Remember to get the remark first - I remember reading somewhere that if you get the script back then they can't remark it.
(not sure how true this is but I wouldn't like it to happen to anyone)

You can providing you get a priority, photocopied script not the original back, otherwise you could have changed the original. But even so, I'll do remark first on this one as it's more likely (fingers crossed!) to be wrong than some of my others

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thers
If you were disappointed with your grade in this exam, don't worry too much. If you are continuing with A2 chemistry, you will need to resit this module as its easy UMS. F324 and F325 build on the ideas from AS, so once you have studied these modules, f321 and f322 (especially f322 because of f324) becomes very easy - only a few topics aren't covered in the A2 modules. (green chemistry, for example)

in terms of synoptic questions on f324 and f325,what AS module do they mostly come out from ?
Reply 4646
Original post by krishkmistry
in terms of synoptic questions on f324 and f325,what AS module do they mostly come out from ?

f324 is basically organic chemistry - more mechanisms, organic compounds and extends the analysis in f322 - there's a few new methods in determining unknown compounds in addition to the ones you already know. It almost entirely builds from f322.

f325 is inorganic chemistry - lots of calculations, equilibrium, elements and enthalpy. Builds from both f321 and f322. It's by far the hardest unit and worth 50% of the A2 (25% of overall A level), so you need to resit your AS units if you got a B at AS and want to get an A.
Original post by thers
f324 is basically organic chemistry - more mechanisms, organic compounds and extends the analysis in f322 - there's a few new methods in determining unknown compounds in addition to the ones you already know. It almost entirely builds from f322.

f325 is inorganic chemistry - lots of calculations, equilibrium, elements and enthalpy. Builds from both f321 and f322. It's by far the hardest unit and worth 50% of the A2 (25% of overall A level), so you need to resit your AS units if you got a B at AS and want to get an A.

Hey, Do you think an UMS of 240 would suffice to get an A overall in Chemistry knowing that A2 module is the hardest and is it doable?
Hi,
My son got
F321 59/90
F322 100/150
F323 47/60

So overall 206/300 which is 4 UMS off of a B. Should we get a remark do you think? He was predicted A, so is very disappointed.
We have previous with having a remark,in his GCSE Biology 12 marks were discovered !
Reply 4649
Original post by ChiefKeef
Hey, Do you think an UMS of 240 would suffice to get an A overall in Chemistry knowing that A2 module is the hardest and is it doable?

It most certainly is if you are willing to work hard (doing all the past papers, homework, revision). However, if you are struggling half way through the year, maybe you should enter yourself into the AS units to gain some relatively easy UMS to compensate for lower A2 unit marks.
Original post by monica95
Hi, I'm wondering whether it's worth it to retake BOTH unit 1 and 2 to get an A in the a level overall? I gor a C at AS this year. In F321, I got 59/90 ums (grade c), in F322 I got 100/150 (grade C) and in F323 The coursework I got 41/60 (grade C). I'm not sure whether it would be best to resit both unit 1 and 2 or just one of those units. In which case, I don't know whether to resit unit 1 since it's easier and should be even easier since this will be the 3rd time I've sat it... or resit unit 2 since it's worth more. How hard would it be to get an A at A2 if I got a B in unit 2, but a C in unit 1 and the coursrwork still. How many UMS would I need to get in chem3 and chem 4 and the coursework?

I think should resit unit 2 whenever you do unit 4 next year, simply because they go hand in hand. They're both organic modules, and it will be easier to revise for them. I think you should also resit unit 1 as well to get at least a B. If you keep your C in unit 1 and the coursework and a B in unit 2, it will be extremely hard to get an A, especially as A2 is harder. However, unit 1 and 2 may seem to get easier in A2 as you develop a deeper knowledge of chemistry.
i'm getting my F322 remarked
got 84/90 for F321 and 55/60 for practicals but 132/150 for F322
i know it's an A but it means i've had at least 11 raw marks deducted, which has never happened before when i was doing past papers or my mock (which was the jan 2013 paper)
i was literally disgusted with myself as it was my best science and the mark was much worse compared to my F212 (biology) and edexcel physics unit 2
i felt i had let my teachers and myself down etc.....
i thought the exam went quite well but now i cannot remember anything about it even when i downloaded the paper and the mark scheme (apart from the mass spec one with the sulphur), so i got really worried that i could have missed the last page (9 marks)or got a few bits wrong. i definitely got at least 2 marks off though (biodegradable thingy and funtional group), don't know about the rest.
fingers crossed that i didn't get that many marks knocked off, can't wait for the results.

anyone have experience of getting their ums raised by at least 5 in a non-essay exam remark?
Original post by greenfeather
Definately worth it....I'm 5UMS off an A overall, which I think is maximum 3 raw marks so I've sent mine off for a remark

hey im on 235UMS overall. i was thinking of remarking the second paper, is this what youve done?
Original post by thers
If you were disappointed with your grade in this exam, don't worry too much. If you are continuing with A2 chemistry, you will need to resit this module as its easy UMS. F324 and F325 build on the ideas from AS, so once you have studied these modules, f321 and f322 (especially f322 because of f324) becomes very easy - only a few topics aren't covered in the A2 modules. (green chemistry, for example)

When would you start revising for this exam if you in A2 year?
is everyone in AS going back to school and then asking for scripts back or do the AS students need to ring up now ?
Original post by MBee
Is it possible to redo practicals? And how much would it cost?
I got 234 ums, how many raw marks is that off an A?
its either that or get f322 remarked, though I got 120 ums in that
thaaaanks

I've got 235 and i'm going to remark the 2nd paper because i thought it went really well so i think its more likely ill pick up a couple of marks on that paper.
Original post by thers

i'm in this position,i did f321 as a resit this year and put more effort in than i did when i orginially sat the paper and got a C,andf i got a D this time round.I got a C in f322,which module am i better off resitting for next year ?
Original post by tamil4
hey im on 235UMS overall. i was thinking of remarking the second paper, is this what youve done?

Yeah that's exactly what I've done :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by krishkmistry
i'm in this position,i did f321 as a resit this year and put more effort in than i did when i orginially sat the paper and got a C,andf i got a D this time round.I got a C in f322,which module am i better off resitting for next year ?

F322 has more ums
So can you resit practicals

Latest

Trending

Trending