The Student Room Group

English A-Levels

I didn't get the results I needed at AS this year so I'm retaking it but I was just wondering if there is any point me taking Combined English Lit and Lang as well as English Lit. I'm good at English and I enjoy it but I was wondering how Universities would view it. I was thinking of taking both of them along with Sociology and Biology.
Reply 1
I've heard on people taking English Language and English Literature as two separate A Levels, but I probably wouldn't take English Literature along the combined one due to the overlap. Either one is fine with your options, but if you are thinking of taking a linguistics orientated degree, the combined might be more useful. (For Literature or non English courses, it doesn't really matter, although the literature A Level is seen as "better".)

Oh, and feel free to ask any questions about the combined A Level! :smile:
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't allow you to take both anyway and if it were on the same exam board, they wouldn't allow it.

I would take them separately because they go in more depth than the combined one. And they go hand in hand with each other, whilst being two individual subjects.

Universities would respect you more for taking both individual A-levels but that's only if you carry them onto A2. But, they respect English Lit more because it's a traditional subject.

If I were you, I would take one or the other as in either English Language and English literature or English Lang and Lit. It depends which one you enjoy more. If there is a certain you enjoy more, than pick that one. If you enjoy both either pick lang and lit or both of the subjects.

The only crap side in taking Lit is that if you don't get to pick your A-level texts, and you happen to hate the book it could ruin your studies in Literature!
Reply 3
Loads of people take both Lit and Lang. but I'm not sure about doing Lit and Combined - in my college, the two courses overlapped a lot in both AS and A2.

I also know a few friends studying Lit at uni, having done just the Combined A Level, and it didn't put them at a disadvantage when they applied to uni, so just take what you think you'll enjoy the most.

English (I did Combined) was my favourite subject at A Level, so any questions, feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I'm not sure it came across correctly I was going to do English Lit as one A-Level and Combined English as another A-Level, my school is fine with me taking both and I've had friends do it before because my sixth form is in two school's so I can take one course in one school and the other course in another school. I just wanted to know whether it was worth the time and effort or if I'd be better off doing just one (probably Lit). I would like to be a teacher if that helps

Thank you for all the answers so far :smile:
Reply 5
I think unis would see it as unnecessary, and might consider you to be a bit of a one-trick pony. Better to get some variety in there. Perhaps replace Lit with an essay subject history, classics, maybe even RS.
I agree with the above poster. I would take a subject that compliments English (such as history, RS, classics, philosophy or psychology) OR do something radically different to show you are an all rounder.
Original post by Plainview
I think unis would see it as unnecessary, and might consider you to be a bit of a one-trick pony. Better to get some variety in there. Perhaps replace Lit with an essay subject history, classics, maybe even RS.

Agree and disagree. Uni's will definitely see it as unnecessary and just a bit pointless to study English Lit and the combined English A-level. On the other hand, I don't think it matters if uni's see an applicant that have all arts/humanities/essay based subjects. It would depend on the interest of the student and what they prefer. But definitely agree with what most of you said.
Reply 8
Original post by Cool_JordH
Agree and disagree. Uni's will definitely see it as unnecessary and just a bit pointless to study English Lit and the combined English A-level. On the other hand, I don't think it matters if uni's see an applicant that have all arts/humanities/essay based subjects. It would depend on the interest of the student and what they prefer. But definitely agree with what most of you said.

Perhaps, but I feel my unusual choices (maths for an English student) helped me out a lot at interview. Unis like to see that you're generally intelligent as well as specifically interested. Anyway, the subjects I suggested were essay subjects, so it's hardly variety in any case.
Reply 9
I did take Maths and Business Studies the first time around but I struggled with Maths for a long time, I probably did more work on it than any other subject and still came out with all U so I can't see myself doing that again. I came out with a C in Business and I hated it so I don't feel there's any point continuing it. I'm definitely doing English Lit, Biology and Sociology which at my school only leaves me with the options of Product Design, BTEC Sport and Art none of which I'm interested in or have any skill in. Would it be better just to go for the 3 subjects and focus on them and completing my Extended Project?
Reply 10
Original post by Livia Violet
I did take Maths and Business Studies the first time around but I struggled with Maths for a long time, I probably did more work on it than any other subject and still came out with all U so I can't see myself doing that again. I came out with a C in Business and I hated it so I don't feel there's any point continuing it. I'm definitely doing English Lit, Biology and Sociology which at my school only leaves me with the options of Product Design, BTEC Sport and Art none of which I'm interested in or have any skill in. Would it be better just to go for the 3 subjects and focus on them and completing my Extended Project?

I'm not too sure - the other possible choices seem really limited, are you at a sixth form or a college? Would you not consider taking English Language if possible?

& I did an EPQ and got an A* this year, it was great - a real talking point for an interview, and something to write about in my PS too. If you need any EPQ info, let me know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Livia Violet

If you really can't see yourself enjoying or doing well in a 4th AS, you might as well just take 3, as long as you're sure you'd do well/ want to carry on with those at A". Most unis will only ask for 3 anyway. The EPQ would also demonstrate you are willing to take your learning further in your chosen subject - if this matches your university course, it would make far more sense than a fourth unrelated AS which you'd be likely to drop anyway. And I agree with the other user that it would help with interviews etc.
Reply 12
I'm not too sure - the other possible choices seem really limited, are you at a sixth form or a college? Would you not consider taking English Language if possible?

& I did an EPQ and got an A* this year, it was great - a real talking point for an interview, and something to write about in my PS too. If you need any EPQ info, let me know :smile:

I'm at sixth form but they don't offer English Language as a separate course, we just became an academy and a lot of subjects were removed

That's really great, well done :smile: Will do thanks for the offer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending