The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

how do you politely tell your friends that you don't want to talk about your results?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shady23
Haha thank you! Yeah my exam results made my day! So happy :smile: Yeah, I guess asking is the way forward :P LOL, Haha, oh well done for getting into sixth form! Ahaha wow, that's definitely frustrating! They should just push up the mark, just to make it look better :wink: ahaha :smile: Thanks, and good luck to you if you decide to get your Chemistry grade remarked!

That's great! Mine made my day too, I totally did better than I'd thought, and it seemed like several people on here did as well, which is good especially since all the media is going on about how grades (especially the sciences) dropped this year, so maybe if we had taken this last year we would've gotten A*s in the ones were close to :I Thank you! And hehe, yes, pushing up the mark would've definitely been better :tongue: Thanks again XD
Reply 8082
Original post by Okkefac
That's great! Mine made my day too, I totally did better than I'd thought, and it seemed like several people on here did as well, which is good especially since all the media is going on about how grades (especially the sciences) dropped this year, so maybe if we had taken this last year we would've gotten A*s in the ones were close to :I Thank you! And hehe, yes, pushing up the mark would've definitely been better :tongue: Thanks again XD

Yeah A lot of people did very well, and that's always great! Proving the haters wrong xD LOL and yeah, the media really scared me, I was randomly watching BBC news when I woke up to get my results and it gave me a big scare! Really put me off! Luckily I got good though :smile: Haha, I bet we would've! Oh well, I guess an A is more than enough for those subjects :smile: Hehe yep ! No problem, again xD :wink:
Hi everyone, today I got 2A*'s in Maths (289 ums out of 300) and Chemistry (373 ums out of 400 though I got 160/160 ums on the last exam) and I got 6A's in English language (173/200), English literature (160/200), RE (80/100), History (172/200), Biology (244/300) and physics (251/300) and got 3 b's in product design (288/400), geography (was mid B) and Spanish (233/300) - so in all I got 2A* 6A 3B but is this good or bad cause I wanted a few more A*'s but when I get to A-level if I do well that won't hinder my chances of going to a good university, although I did have a 70% attendance in year 11 due to illness but hope everyone else got what they wanted :smile:
Original post by LemonFish
If you do well at a level then you should be fine. I doubt oxford would class 7a*s as an underachievement :rolleyes:

On another note, its never too late to join the gcse gloating bandwagon. 7a*s 3as 2 bs. Ha. I joined :biggrin:

Thanks, it's always nice to have comfort from someone who doesn't have to be nice (friends/family.

Well done! Ours are basically the same :smile: I'm hoping to remark my B in Italian to an A, so hopefully it'll be the same in the future!
Original post by Heytherehello
Sure i can help! :smile: Okay, i also did AQA so we're on the same playing field which is a good start! Yes, you are right, 1&2 are the listening and reading and 3&4 are speaking and writing (Thus there isn't really anything you can do about those marks!) and yes, they are out of 60 perhaps where you're messing up is because the speaking and writing were worth 30% each whereas listening and reading were only worth 20% each. Wait, when you say you ended up with 63/90 and 61/90 - a B and C, do you mean thats what you ended up with for speaking and writing? What was your overall mark and your breakdowns for all modules? If you reply, i'll try and help you figure this out because it's annoying me too! :smile:

When I did my Writing and Speaking units, I got 55/60 on writing and 51/60 on speaking, 28 & 27 for writing and 27 & 24 for speaking, I'm fairly sure of that! Those would be my raw marks.

For my Listening and Reading, I was put in for higher on both. If unit 1 is Listening I got 50/60 UMS, and on my reading I got 60/60 UMS.

My friend sent me the UMS converter on the AQA website earlier and I've just tried it with my Writing/Speaking raw marks now - it gives me a UMS value of 79/90 for my writing (unit 4) and 74/90 for speaking (unit 3). The table that's showing up is here that I just used: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums - if it doesn't come up enter GCSE/June 13/4655(3)(4) (3 = speaking, 4 = writing)

If the table that comes up is correct, I'd have 50+60+79+74, giving me a total of 263/300 rather than the 234/300 that I had before, changing my B to an A, right? Almost an A* if 270/300 is the boundary!

Am I right with all this? If I am I'm ANNOYED!
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey everyone, hope you all got the grades you wanted!
I need all your advice on getting some of my papers remarked.
For History I was 1 UMS away from an A
English Language, I was 2UMS away from an A*
Art 1 UMS away from an A*
Core science (B, A*,A) Overall:A
Additonal science (A*,A,A) Overall:A
English Language (A,A,B) Overall:A
Economics (A,B) Overall:B
Geography (A, A,B, B) Overall:B
I didn't do many exams this summer since I finished most of them off in year 10 and I didn't have any resits from Jan 2013.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8088
Maths A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Biology A*
Geography A*
Design Technology A*
French A*
Japanese A*
PE A
English Literature B
English Language B

So if I want to go to Oxford is this good enough? I'm resitting English in November to get at least an A!
We did IGCSE and no modules for pretty much every subjects. I'm also foreign student and I've been in England for like 5 years so I'm quite happy with my results.
Also what do university think of resits??
THANK YOU!!
I got a D for maths with 1 mark away from a C so if I wanted to get a remark how would I do that ?
Reply 8090
Original post by alexSH
Maths A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Biology A*
Geography A*
Design Technology A*
French A*
Japanese A*
PE A
English Literature B
English Language B

So if I want to go to Oxford is this good enough? I'm resitting English in November to get at least an A!
We did IGCSE and no modules for pretty much every subjects. I'm also foreign student and I've been in England for like 5 years so I'm quite happy with my results.
THANK YOU!!

Those are great results! Congratulations! I think you would be a suitable candidate for oxbridge :smile:

On ucas you have to declare certificated results and resits after your results have been certificated will have to be declared too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8091
Original post by howletg01
When I did my Writing and Speaking units, I got 55/60 on writing and 51/60 on speaking, 28 & 27 for writing and 27 & 24 for speaking, I'm fairly sure of that! Those would be my raw marks.

For my Listening and Reading, I was put in for higher on both. If unit 1 is Listening I got 50/60 UMS, and on my reading I got 60/60 UMS.

My friend sent me the UMS converter on the AQA website earlier and I've just tried it with my Writing/Speaking raw marks now - it gives me a UMS value of 79/90 for my writing (unit 4) and 74/90 for speaking (unit 3). The table that's showing up is here that I just used: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums - if it doesn't come up enter GCSE/June 13/4655(3)(4) (3 = speaking, 4 = writing)

If the table that comes up is correct, I'd have 50+60+79+74, giving me a total of 263/300 rather than the 234/300 that I had before, changing my B to an A, right? Almost an A* if 270/300 is the boundary!

Am I right with all this? If I am I'm ANNOYED!

Omg Im having the exact same problem!!! ARGH I dont know what to do about it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 6 B's and 3 c's - But 3 of my B's are 4 marks away from A's and 2 of my C's are only 2 marks from B's, can someone please reply to me about remarking as it would help me alot or tell me if i have to take retake because i was hoping for 2 or 3 A's thank you
So here's my predicament.

I had a D in year 10, literally failing all CA units with flying colours.

This year, I decided to turn it around, with my optimum grade thought to be an A.

After working tirelessly day and night, I got all my CA's upto A's.

Then I worked for the current exams in the papers. I decided a foundation paper was suitable alongside higher reading. Personally, I only needed a certain amount of UMS for an overall A.

So i go into the exam, come out all skeptical.

Here's what I got today.

Unit 1F Listening, 39/41.
Unit 2h Reading, 60/60.
Unit 3 79/90.
Unit 4 90/90.

Total, 268 UMS.

2 OFF A*.

Now, I know, I didn't aim for higher, but the very fact I came from a D to an A, and now have to ability for an A* whilst possessing a foundation tier result kinda shows me It was within my potential.

Idk...what do?

On the results front, not too shabby.

4 A*s, 5 A's. 3 As were very close to A*s(2 UMS in 2, 6 in the other)

What to do?

112 for all the remarks. I can work and pay out my own money but is it worth it?(ITS MY OWN MONEY GOING INTO THIS BTW)
Original post by Hilton184
Is 8 GCSEs enough for top institutions/top courses (ie medicine).

I achieved 5A* grades (English language, maths, geography, religion and additional science), and 3 A grades (core science, English literature and Spanish). Is this enough when applying to top institutions or for highly competitive courses?

I see people with, for example 11, 12 or even more GCSE exams but I sadly didn't have this chance (I didn't take triple science and stupidly chose to take DiDA rather than another academic subject; wish I took history/French looking back now)..

Anyway I hope somebody can help me and I hope you are all happy with the results you achieved. I certainly am, just worried that the amount of GCSEs may not be enough for the very best unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

8 GCSEs are plenty. :smile:

Original post by sophie238
Does anyone know when we get our GCSE certificates, and in what format they will come in?

Original post by Beth24597
when do you get all the certificates????

You should probably get them some time in November, but it depends on your school. :smile:

Original post by SamA7
Does anyone know how long I've got to ask for a remark from AQA before my mark on the exam is permanent?

Until 20th September :smile:

Original post by Ammy97
I got 7 A*s and 2As, just wish I could have done more GCSE's

9 are plenty! :tongue: Well done :smile:

Original post by itsn0b0dy
Can somebody give me some advice about a remark.

i took AQA French and got full marks in my listening and reading exams, and I had a*s in all my writing and speaking, until my writing got moderated down to a B, bringing my overall grade for French to an A :frown:

is it possible to get the writing controlled assesment remarked since it was moderated?

The whole centre's writing c/a will need to be re-modertated, not just yours. So it's up to your school to decide if they want to send them all off for a re-moderation or not. :smile:

Original post by Ryan Mc17
Guys,

Do you think it's worth remarking an OCR History B Paper? I am 2 UMS marks off of the A* Grade boundary and aiming to do it for A-Level.

I would request a remark here. :yes: Ask your teacher for advice first too, though. :smile:

Original post by Avor
I got 10A* and 1A (Eng. Lang), GOT FULL MARKS IN ENG. LIT! :biggrin: (I thought I was going to get a B!)
I was four marks off an A* overall, and I am going to put it in for a remark.
What are my chances of getting an A*?
the paper is out of 80.
Thanks everyone

No one can say as we haven't seen your paper. :tongue:

The marking in English is subjective though, so there is every possible chance that it might increase. :smile:

Original post by Squidgy
If I wait until September 4th to speak to my school about getting an exam remarked does that give me long enough to sort it out? ( I really want to get it remarked so I don't want to miss the deadline) (Ones on AQA ones on OCR)

Also could someone tell me how I go about getting exams remarked?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have until 20th September, although your school may have its own internal deadline.

Speak to your examinations officer. :smile:
Reply 8095
What are the grade boundaries for Aqa Geography for an A*? I currently have an A and I want to know how close I am to the grade boundary. thank you:smile: oh and I got 9 As 2 A*s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexSH
ARE THESE GOOD ENOUGH FOR OXBRIDGE?
Maths A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Biology A*
Geography A*
Design Technology A*
French A*
Japanese A*
PE A
English Literature B
English Language B

My AS choices are Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I want to do Biological Science at Oxford preferably.

I'm resitting English in November to get at least an A!
THANK YOU!!

Don't resit. I've contacted them, and Cambridge have said that they will disregard less stellar GCSE's for amazing AS performance.

They said they frown upon resits at GCSE levels, and will mostly likely consider the grade achieved before.

However, it's simple. If you get A's & A*s, you stand a chance for Oxbridge.

Hell, even if you get less you still do.

A friend of mine got in with 3 A*s, 2 As, 3 Bs, 1 C, 1 D.
(edited 10 years ago)

I had a D in year 10, literally failing all CA units with flying colours.

This year, I decided to turn it around, with my optimum grade thought to be an A.

After working tirelessly day and night, I got all my CA's upto A's.

Then I worked for the current exams in the papers. I decided a foundation paper was suitable alongside higher reading. Personally, I only needed a certain amount of UMS for an overall A.

So i go into the exam, come out all skeptical.

Here's what I got today.

Unit 1F Listening, 39/41.
Unit 2h Reading, 60/60.
Unit 3 79/90.
Unit 4 90/90.

Total, 268 UMS.

2 OFF A*.

Now, I know, I didn't aim for higher, but the very fact I came from a D to an A, and now have to ability for an A* whilst possessing a foundation tier result kinda shows me It was within my potential.

Idk...what do?

What to do?

112 for all the remarks. I can work and pay out my own money but is it worth it?(ITS MY OWN MONEY GOING INTO THIS BTW)
Reply 8098
Got my unit 1 science results yesterday was predicted 4A*and got them in my mocks and then sat the exam and ended up getting an overall UMS of 319 which was 1 UMS off an overall A. Do you think I should send my physics exam (79) to get remarked as it was 1 mark off an A and then that would bring it up to an overall A. Also i was told that my ISA was an A* and it ended up being an A - I dont think thats very fair. Lastly i calculated that i was literally a fraction off an A - something ridiculous like 0.00678 marks. Thanks a bunch
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8099
Original post by MisterOrange

Idk...what do?

What to do?

yes worth it but
it depends which subjects you are considering remarking, if maths and science etc.often remarks don't gain you any more marks as there is a right and wrong answer.
but if history english etc. then your mark is the examiner's opinion- a new examiner may put your grade up(or down) by a lot!
CONGRATULATIONS on amazing results!!!:smile:

Latest