The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I need some advice. As a whole i did Ok,. My question is, i did WJEC ICT and i was 1 UMS off an A*. I was expected to get an A* in ICT. Should i get the exam paper (Unit 3) remarked? Or is it unlikely to change. Thanks for any responses!
Original post by theJdog
Hey guys! I'm doing Edexcel A-Level Maths Statistics, and was wondering what exams do you do in the first year out of these options?
4 Units in Core Mathematics
2 Units in Statistics
1 Unit in Decision Maths

Basically I'm asking can you choose any three options or is there a specific one you have to choose?

Thanks!

In your first year you do Core 1, Core 2 and one applied option, so one of either statistics or decision, in your second year you do Core 3, Core 4 and another of the applied options :smile:
Original post by mitchellshazia
In your first year you do Core 1, Core 2 and one applied option, so one of either statistics or decision, in your second year you do Core 3, Core 4 and another of the applied options :smile:

Ah cool! Do you have to do D1, or can you just do both S1 and S2? Thanks :smile:
Original post by theJdog
Ah cool! Do you have to do D1, or can you just do both S1 and S2? Thanks :smile:

Different schools have different rules, but the exam boards have no regulations :smile:

Edit: Except that you can't do S2 without having done S1, of course.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by a123a
Hmm.. I'm sorry to say this but I don't see how you will get an additional 21 ums marks. Is this edexcel? So 270 for an A*? I was in a similar situation in yr 10, I got 262 so 8 marks from an A* and I lost most of my marks in unit 1; the reading and writing cw, but my teacher said I did well in it. In the exam I got an A* as well as in the spoken language unit-unit 2. My school said they won't re moderate the cw because then they would be admitting they marked it wrong. :s-smilie: Did you get an A* in lit? Is the A* needed for a specific course? The only one I can think of is Birmingham uni for medicine. But even Birmingham say they give preference to candidates with A*s in either english, so if you get one in lit it's ok.
I know how it feels, getting a grade you didn't want, but you should be happy that you got an A! Congratulations! Best of luck!

Neither do I, 21 ums is a lot to go up. I'm with AQA. I'm not sure if the clerical check that comes with the remark will check that they submitted the right marks for the cw. It's just so frustrating because I know I did well in the cw, and yet the mark is different on the certificate:frown: I'm only in Year 10, so I've only done one english so far:smile:

I've emailed my teacher, so am now waiting in earnest for her reply. Let's hope she actually helps, the thing is she marked our whole class low, so that our grades 'could only go up not down' after moderation and even before moderation, I was a High A* so it's just annoying:P If the marks I got told at school were correct, I would have gotten the A* argh!

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by paradoxicalme
Congratulations about your results! And with history our school has the EXACT same problem - so many people got marked down for edexcel A - my friend, who's fantastic at history, got 100% on two of the units, 90% on the third and 60% on the fourth which pulled her down to an A, she's getting a remark :smile:

All of our school's coursework was moderated down as well. I was told i got an A* on it, but was moderated to 88 A. Although i cannot complain as in the three other exams i got 100. Therefore still got my A*.
We got 100% A*-B in Lit at our school, and quite a few A*. But we have a fantastic English department (I somehow managed full UMS which I would not have been able to do with a different teacher). Our problem subjects were English Language and History. I think only a couple of people got A* in history in our year of 100...

It would seem quite concerning, but Language is more important than Literature at GCSE to unis. Are we talking 'most people getting As and Bs' or 'most people getting Ds and Es'?

Wow, 100%, that's incredible. Is this a private/selective school we;re talking about here? Because of of the whole year, everyone achieving a B or higher in English Literature is insanely good.

I'm not sure about our History results, but I'd imagine they were slightly better that that.. I think there was quite a wide variety of grades, a fair few A's and a fair few more D's...

Congratulations on your full UMS mark by the way! :biggrin: I came close :wink:

Original post by the1akshay
At least twenty people, including myself. We did AQA, by the way.

Well done, far better than us. We did AQA as well, clearly our English department needs sorting... but that's none of my concern now!
Different schools have different rules, but the exam boards have no regulations :smile:

Edit: Except that you can't do S2 without having done S1, of course.

That's perfect thank you! I want to avoid the weird postman if I can :s-smilie: What grades did you get?
Original post by MrMusicLTD
Yeah, I did - what texts did you do? Also, for some unknown reason, I too was predicted an A* in Biology and ended up getting an A, but I got an A* in Chemistry lol. I genuinely found Biology the easiest, and yet I got lower than what I was predicted :/ I got an A in Physics though, which I was happy about because I thought I had failed the second paper. What examining board were you with for the sciences?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was with AQA. For English Lit we looked at Of Mice and Men and The Crucible (why do they always pick the cheery books?). Well done on that A*!
Okay so I've finally decided to post my results...
I got A* in Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and food technology.
A in English Language, English Literature, geography and Religious Studies.
B in Art & Design and a C in French.
And an E in PE.

So that's 5A*s, 4As, 1B, 1C and an E.

I'm extremely happy and was so surprised with those as I was expecting more Bs than As and A*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congratulations! :biggrin: I'm doing similar A-levels to you! Bloody well done on that A in art in particular - know so many people who've gotten Cs and Ds in it, it's a ridiculously hard subject. And German! Christ!

I somehow managed full UMS in English Literature, but that's only because a) it's the subject I love most in the universe and paid the most attention to, b) we had a beyond epic teacher, and c) getting extraordinarily lucky in the poetry exam. English Lang matters far more anyway :smile:

Thank you! :smile: I have a friend who got 200/200 in Art... I didn't even think that was humanely possible.
Wow you did well in English Literature! It sounds like you deserved it with that enthusiasm! :biggrin:
Original post by theJdog
That's perfect thank you! I want to avoid the weird postman if I can :s-smilie: What grades did you get?

For GCSEs? I got 9 A*s, 2 As :biggrin: You?
for the T6 exam using CCEA, an A star was 198 UMS and an A was 176 UMS, I know it's hard to get your grade changed in maths but I received 196 UMS, should I get the paper remarked? if I go up by 2 UMS then my overall grade will change to an A star

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theJdog
Oh my! I only got 1.5 A*s, 5 As and 3 Bs (Two of these grades are like 5 UMS and 9 UMS away from an A grade - that's like 2 RAW marks and 5 Raw Marks. I could have gotten 1.5A*s, 7As and only 1B.) I know these are quite bad. How did you DO IT?? Oh and WELL DONE :biggrin:

They're not bad at all! Miles above average. And yeah that went the other way with me, I was only 2 UMS into the boundary for two of them, only 1 UMS for another and exactly on the boundary for another! So basically one less raw mark for each and I would have 5A*s 6As :tongue: And having no social life helps haha
Reply 8274
What does a Distinction* mean in Btec PE as a GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're not bad at all! Miles above average. And yeah that went the other way with me, I was only 2 UMS into the boundary for two of them, only 1 UMS for another and exactly on the boundary for another! So basically one less raw mark for each and I would have 5A*s 6As :tongue: And having no social life helps haha

Really? What is the average then? And aw that's the same for Spanish for me - 2 UMS into an A grade, so just scraped. Did you ever remark/retake?
Thank you :biggrin: I'm taking biology, psychology, philosophy, maths and english lit :smile: here's hoping AS goes as well for us as yesterday did!

Good luck with them!:smile: Yep definitely! We'll be fine, just keep putting in the effort :smile:
Original post by theJdog
Really? What is the average then? And aw that's the same for Spanish for me - 2 UMS into an A grade, so just scraped. Did you ever remark/retake?

Average mostly Cs and a few Bs. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/09/exam_results/gcse_fc/html/all_subjects.stm That's 2009 but still.
I retook an English Language exam but did worse than the first time haha - but didn't matter I still got an A*, and never remarked anything. :smile:
Reply 8278
Hey guys, well done on your results!
I achieved 6A*, 5A's, 1B and a distinction in IT
Maths A*
Bio A*
Chem A*
Phy A*
Eng lang A
Eng lit A*
Geography A
History A*
Philosophy and Ethics A
French B
Astronomy A
citizenship A
IT D-Distinction

I was wondering if these grades are good enough to study Medicine in Cambridge in particular, if I also got an average of mid 90's in my AS UMS?
Original post by The Room Student
Wow, 100%, that's incredible. Is this a private/selective school we;re talking about here? Because of of the whole year, everyone achieving a B or higher in English Literature is insanely good.

I'm not sure about our History results, but I'd imagine they were slightly better that that.. I think there was quite a wide variety of grades, a fair few A's and a fair few more D's...

Congratulations on your full UMS mark by the way! :biggrin: I came close :wink:

Yes, it is a private school :smile:

And thank you :smile: 3 UMS is only 1 or 2 marks, a different examiner and you would've probably beaten me :wink:

Latest