The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by danny111
Oh man Oreos sound nice just about now. Can you not go to sleep now? I often find during the day easier to nap than falling asleep at night.

Iv finished them all now :frown:
Mum bought me 2 packs last week :tongue:

Nope once im awake im awake :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
*sigh* I would love to just tip all the alcohol in the house down the drain right now.

My mum was having one of her usual drunken rants last night and she goes through all the usual spiel, she'll kick me out and then I'll have nowhere to go blah blah blah. I'd walk out myself but I don't have enough money to put down a rent deposit or anything and I have no idea how I can get any help with paying rent. And then she just laughs at me for crying. And I can't help crying. I was just crying because I want to get out and I can't and she just kept laughing and confiscated all my electrical items.

Plus tonight my friend is having a birthday party that I've surprisingly been invited to, and so is my cousin. So I'm using each as an excuse not to go to the other. I don't know any other of my friends friends so it's just going to be awkward. And 90% of my dads side of the family hate me. Why should I be expected to pretend to care about my cousins birthday when they didn't care about mine... :dry:

So I'm braving going to ASDA to buy a load of chocolate to console myself with sugar. :erm:
Original post by RedBlossom
*sigh* I would love to just tip all the alcohol in the house down the drain right now.

My mum was having one of her usual drunken rants last night and she goes through all the usual spiel, she'll kick me out and then I'll have nowhere to go blah blah blah. I'd walk out myself but I don't have enough money to put down a rent deposit or anything and I have no idea how I can get any help with paying rent. And then she just laughs at me for crying. And I can't help crying. I was just crying because I want to get out and I can't and she just kept laughing and confiscated all my electrical items.

Plus tonight my friend is having a birthday party that I've surprisingly been invited to, and so is my cousin. So I'm using each as an excuse not to go to the other. I don't know any other of my friends friends so it's just going to be awkward. And 90% of my dads side of the family hate me. Why should I be expected to pretend to care about my cousins birthday when they didn't care about mine... :dry:

So I'm braving going to ASDA to buy a load of chocolate to console myself with sugar. :erm:

how old are you? because you can get lots of housing support depending on your age. because you shouldnt have to put up with all of that :hugs:
So I haven't heard back about the position, guess they gave it to someone else. Bit disappointed but maybe concentrate on finishing my thesis and look more strongly once that is out of the way.
Reply 6384
Decided I'm gonna go to uni. The way I see it, is if I stay here then something bad will happen, things are relentless and feeling at lowest ever. If I go to uni, the worst thing that could happen is bad thing. So basically I have nothing to lose. I might not cope at uni but I sure as hell cannot cope like this.
Reply 6385
Original post by 08batee
Decided I'm gonna go to uni. The way I see it, is if I stay here then something bad will happen, things are relentless and feeling at lowest ever. If I go to uni, the worst thing that could happen is bad thing. So basically I have nothing to lose. I might not cope at uni but I sure as hell cannot cope like this.

Happy to hear you've made this decision! As someone who struggled hugely after starting uni, I'd really recommend getting some support sorted asap rather than waiting until things are going downhill. I'd recommend:

1. Applying for DSA, as the financial and human support can make such a difference in ability to cope.

2. Register at a GP and have an appointment asap when you get to uni.

3. Contact the university disability office or mental health advisor if they have one, and arrange an appointment for very soon after you start so that you have someone to check in with.

I didn't really get any support in place until my second year and things were pretty horrific in my first year, but I was ill in such a way that I didn't have the energy or inclination to tell anyone how bad things were for me. I think my story is fairly positive though because I literally made no friends in my first year (cos I didn't leave my room except to pee :redface:) but in second year, despite MH stuff being crap, things fell into place for me and I have a good group of friends now. So it took a while, but even then it did happen. You did so well in your A levels despite how hard things have been, so should be more than prepared for uni!
Reply 6386
Original post by asdfgah
Happy to hear you've made this decision! As someone who struggled hugely after starting uni, I'd really recommend getting some support sorted asap rather than waiting until things are going downhill. I'd recommend:

1. Applying for DSA, as the financial and human support can make such a difference in ability to cope.

2. Register at a GP and have an appointment asap when you get to uni.

3. Contact the university disability office or mental health advisor if they have one, and arrange an appointment for very soon after you start so that you have someone to check in with.

I didn't really get any support in place until my second year and things were pretty horrific in my first year, but I was ill in such a way that I didn't have the energy or inclination to tell anyone how bad things were for me. I think my story is fairly positive though because I literally made no friends in my first year (cos I didn't leave my room except to pee :redface:) but in second year, despite MH stuff being crap, things fell into place for me and I have a good group of friends now. So it took a while, but even then it did happen. You did so well in your A levels despite how hard things have been, so should be more than prepared for uni!

Thanks for the support :hugs: I've wondered before about DSA but feel like I'd be a waste of their time, and that there are people who need these things much more than me. Maybe I'm just being silly though :confused: Thanks for the heads up on all of that :redface: I'm really worried about the social side of things. I don't deal well with being around people much and hide in my room all of the time. I find it hard to get on with people and maintain friendships anyway, but I'm terrified of being totally isolated. Hopefully it will work out whatever happens though :hugs:
so my mum saw in a local newspaper a write up about the accident we helped at last weekend, and the man is alive, broken ribs, broken and and shoulder injuries.
my friend whos a st johns ambulance paramedic is really proud of us both, as she said especially my mums actions helped save his life.

so i do feel better knowing that he is actually well :smile:

still very upset about my dads stuff last night, but i spoke to my sister and let her know that im not angry at her but im angry at my dad.
Original post by 08batee
Thanks for the support :hugs: I've wondered before about DSA but feel like I'd be a waste of their time, and that there are people who need these things much more than me. Maybe I'm just being silly though :confused: Thanks for the heads up on all of that :redface: I'm really worried about the social side of things. I don't deal well with being around people much and hide in my room all of the time. I find it hard to get on with people and maintain friendships anyway, but I'm terrified of being totally isolated. Hopefully it will work out whatever happens though :hugs:

Regarding DSA and not feeling like you're worth the support/other people need it more, I felt (and to be honest still do) feel like that, but the DSA adviser at my uni said the resources are there to give everyone DSA if they need it - one person getting it has no impact whatsoever on anyone else, and you're not restricting what anyone else might get. :smile:
Managed to not only finally pass the security questions to talk to job centre people on the phone, but also found out I've been awarded ESA. :biggrin: Hello free prescriptions. :colone:
Original post by Sabertooth
Ergh this is so frustrating. I put my name down to volunteer at an animal shelter but every day I wimp out of going. I'm really frightened of doing it. Only been once in 5 weeks :colondollar: I've been doing a lot of thinking and I think I know what I'm scared of - first the bus is only every 30minutes so I can't leave when I want and it's a 4 mile walk home, second I'm worried there will be loads of volunteers so I won't have enough work to do and I'll just be standing there feeling awkward. This is crazy, I'm 25years old and still such a wimp. Anyone got any tips for how I can get myself to go? I actually really want to it's just I can't. :frown:

I get what you mean. I'm terrible for putting things off until I can get into a routine of doing it.
Hmm... Everything else aside, essentially you're going to be round a load of cute animals for the day. I would see that as something to look forward to :smile:
If you're worried about how many other volunteers are going to be there, maybe call up the shelter and work out which days they might be low on volunteers to make sure you'll be kept busy for the day.
I'm the same as you with buses so I'm not much help with suggestions there >_< But the walk home gives you time to reflect on the fact that you made it there.
The more you go, the easier it'll get :wink2:

Original post by PonchoKid
how old are you? because you can get lots of housing support depending on your age. because you shouldnt have to put up with all of that :hugs:

Just turned 18 at the start of the month. And I have absolutely no idea of who to notify of what or where I'm supposed to be asking for help :pinch:
Original post by RedBlossom
Just turned 18 at the start of the month. And I have absolutely no idea of who to notify of what or where I'm supposed to be asking for help :pinch:

there are many places you can go to, first of all go to the local council, and you can declare homelessness.
also if theres a youth centre near you they may be able to advise you.
also if theres a foyer in your near town or city, then they may also be able to help, as they help house young people who are in situations just like yourself.
Original post by 08batee

Apply, woman! They give you FREE THINGS. Like shiny Mac books. For when you totally don't pour a whole cup of tea over your poor unsuspecting Toshiba :ninja: :p: :ninja:

Not that I ever did that or anything... :angel:

As has been said, you won't be taking away from anyone else and you deserve the support as much as anyone else! All you need is a medical note from a doctor (GP or psychiatrist or whoever is responsible for your care) confirming your diagnosis :yes:

Original post by superwolf
Managed to not only finally pass the security questions to talk to job centre people on the phone, but also found out I've been awarded ESA. :biggrin: Hello free prescriptions. :colone:

Nice work Wolfie :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I'm still alive, still here, struggling majorly though. Psych asked me a question today one which I didn't have an answer for. I sat and thought about it and couldn't answer him cause I couldn't figure it out myself. Made me think though what do I actually want out of this treatment. I don't know. I really don't know. *sigh*... Struggling so bad right now with flashbacks and urges. I know I should talk to staff, but they'll use it all against me :frown:

Hope you guys are alright! :hugs: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6394
Original post by -FireFlies-
I'm still alive, still here, struggling majorly though. Psych asked me a question today one which I didn't have an answer for. I sat and thought about it and couldn't answer him cause I couldn't figure it out myself. Made me think though what do I actually want out of this treatment. I don't know. I really don't know. *sigh*... Struggling so bad right now with flashbacks and urges. I know I should talk to staff, but they'll use it all against me :frown:

Hope you guys are alright! :hugs: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: Stay strong!

Today has not gone to plan. Woke up tired, dehydrated and ill and spent all day trying to recover but i haven't. Thankfully felt a bit better mentally but physically i'm drained. I can't even stand for long enough to make food. Feel like just going to sleep but i'll just wake up at midnight hungry.
Gonna be home alone again :frown:

Cant keep doing this.
Even though me and my step dad dont get on great i hate him working late especially when my mums on a nightshift.
But i know thats completely selfish of me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6396
Gonna be home alone again :frown:

Cant keep doing this.
Even though me and my step dad dont get on great i hate him working late especially when my mums on a nightshift.
But i know thats completely selfish of me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Time to find a good film or tv series and engross yourself maybe...

Last night I watched taken for the first time and forgot all about everything because i was engrossed in it.
Original post by james1211
Time to find a good film or tv series and engross yourself maybe...

Last night I watched taken for the first time and forgot all about everything because i was engrossed in it.

i got engrossed in outnumbered last night, but not sure if its on tonight
dont know what to dooo

my mums going soon :s-smilie:
Reply 6398
i got engrossed in outnumbered last night, but not sure if its on tonight
dont know what to dooo

my mums going soon :s-smilie:

Shawshank redemption is on, that's a good film.

Hope you feel a bit better later on.
Original post by james1211
Shawshank redemption is on, that's a good film.

Hope you feel a bit better later on.

cant watch anything slightly scary, especially when home alone :frown:
paranoia becomes rife just at silly things :s-smilie:

Latest