The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ghost_rebel
Has anyone bought their revision guides yet for As??

I'm waiting to start my subjects before I buy any revision guides because maybe my teachers will recommend ones they think are the best. I almost bought the official ones written by the exam boards, but I suspect I might be able to borrow them from college. However, I received a Spanish vocab book from my sister for my birthday, so I guess that might count :smile:
I'm doing History, Philosophy and Ethics, Latin and Government and Politics are those good A-levels?
Reply 8522
Original post by student1508
Hey guys, I got 7a*'s, then 3a's (an A in maths (3 UMS off A* - let down only by my first exam (1st module) which I took when I was 14), then A in art, and A in English lang (which I plan to retake for A*). I also got full UMS on my r.s. exam, full ums on both French exams, and full ums on 1 module of my bio, chem and physics exams. I go to a private school for girls, and ive been there for 3 yrs, after coming from a public school. I REALLY want to study medicine, do you think my grades are enough to get in to Cambridge/Oxford? Thanks

You may not be able to apply for Oxford because you need 90% or above of your grades to be A*. You took 10GCSES so at least 9 need to be A*. Cambridge don't look so much at GCSES but at A levels so of you do well in year 12 you could stand a chance of going there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8523
Original post by Sandra1
I dont get it what r these points used for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nothing

some colleges and 6th forms use them to decide whether you should have a place
Original post by student1508
Hey guys, I got 7a*'s, then 3a's (an A in maths (3 UMS off A* - let down only by my first exam (1st module) which I took when I was 14), then A in art, and A in English lang (which I plan to retake for A*). I also got full UMS on my r.s. exam, full ums on both French exams, and full ums on 1 module of my bio, chem and physics exams. I go to a private school for girls, and ive been there for 3 yrs, after coming from a public school. I REALLY want to study medicine, do you think my grades are enough to get in to Cambridge/Oxford? Thanks

Do you mean a public school or a state school? They are two completely different things. :u:
Reply 8525
okayyy has any one of u been told that some of your results r being postponed till mid sept due to cheating?
Reply 8526
Original post by radhikagulati
Basically, I was supposed to be attending a private school where I achieved a 50% scholarship, but due to financial reasons, it would be difficult (not impossible) to send me there. I received my GCSEs this week and achieved 14A*s and want to take Spanish, Maths, Chemistry and Biology for A-Level (I dont mind taking IB either) and was wondering whether good sixth forms such as St Olaves, tiffins, etc, or private schools that can give me a good scholarship, e.g. city of london, epsom college, reigate grammar, etc would still consider me?

Also if anyone could give me good grammar schools in south east england/central london, it would really help!

thanks

x

I feel so inadequate next you !

Hello My friend appealed Schools like Tiffins , Newstead Wood , Wallington Boys and Wallington Girls after getting her results and within 3 days , she got into all of them, she did really well , at got 8A*'s so I doubt any sixth form will turn you down because your results are exceptional! , for IB , try dartford boys, or try Sevenoaks school ( because your results are amazing you may get a scholarship)
good luck , I hope this helps
For GCSE I got an A* in Maths and an A for English Literature

For A levels I am studying Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. I don't really have a great passion for maths alone and prefer English lit, but for GCSE I got a higher grade for maths. I don't know if I should do maths instead of English lit. Any suggestions? I need a A for the subject and am unsure which one will get me that :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please visit my thread,its for anyone getting their papers remarked!Thanks:smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2445492&p=44194920#post44194920
Original post by sweet_gyal97
ohh im thinking of doing the EPQ in year 13 instead of A2 critical thinking....yay thats awesome we're doing the same subjects!! i did GCSE economics so hopefully it'll be easier...yeah i'll let you know how I get on and you too let me know!!:smile::smile:

You can do another AS in the 2nd year? I had no idea! I never did GCSE Economics. I'm guessing you liked it which is why you're carrying on. (:
Original post by Mallory
I feel so inadequate next you !

Hello My friend appealed Schools like Tiffins , Newstead Wood , Wallington Boys and Wallington Girls after getting her results and within 3 days , she got into all of them, she did really well , at got 8A*'s so I doubt any sixth form will turn you down because your results are exceptional! , for IB , try dartford boys, or try Sevenoaks school ( because your results are amazing you may get a scholarship)
good luck , I hope this helps

haha thanks :smile: i really wasn't expecting to do so well...luck plays a big part tbh!

haha i may attend one of the first 4 schools already...

my mum and I are calling around on tuesday so fingers crossed

x
Original post by SelinaUchiha
Hey! I did maths AS at the same time as GCSE too and got an A in AS with pretty good UMS/UCAS points. It's definitely manageable if you schedule your revision and if you enjoy maths it's just easier for you (:

The thing is, as Jan exams are scrapped for A level it might be hardd doing 3 AS units in June along with your other GCSEs but again, schedule revision and DO PAST PAPERS!! They help looadss!:biggrin:

Hey! I'll definitely have a think about it!I really like maths as well! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Green Bubblegum
congratulations on every ones GCSE Grades!! Look forward to starting AS, its going to be a long year.

If anyone need A-Level tuition contact me, I got A*AAB in Geo,Bio,Chem and Phy.

Hi actually I needed some hello with gcse physics? Would you mind helping me on student room please? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HeyHoYolo
? I don't get you :smile: haha, I said that's what I got at GCSE but the A*AA and B at physics which I'll do at AS are my predicted grades for A-level :biggrin:

Aha oh right! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squidgy
Yeah, I had the same disappointment as well, like I was getting A's and A*S in all the in class tests then I ended up coming out with a B ...

OMG same! I even earned the award for the best girl in our year at Economics (before results) the bam, for everyone who earned an A* it was 'so unexpected!' then there's me in the corner, scowling at their success :unimpressed:
I would get it remarked, but i don't think there's any point. I got two A's, but in Unit 1 i got a C! Several UMS below an A. Still, it's an improvement from my previous grade (unit 1 was a retake) which was a D...
I don't know, my teacher said it's because i wrote at a A-Level level, which i'm inclined to believe, because i revised so much, but really i think it's because i find it hard to wrap my head around essays that aren't English, i tend to ramble, making it less concise...
Stupid economics.
Original post by itsn0b0dy
I'm so annoyed.

I got full UMS marks in both listening and reading but my writing got moderated down from an A* to a B, bringing my overall grade to an A :frown:(((

I am wondering whether GCSE French has actually got harder this year or whether examiners have just decided to make Listening easier and Writing harder because I'm seeing a lot of 100% UMS scores for those and I even got 100% for those and for Listening I was only expecting an A but I thought I would get around 271-272/300 overall and although, my Writing coursework wasn't marked too highly 74(a) ,I got 271/300 UMS.I was excepting high UMS in the Writing based on what I'd seen on the website as examples.I upped my prediction to 272 UMS based on the exams but my revision and coursework predictions said 271 UMS-UMS just seems to have been transferred from the Writing to the Listening.
Sorry if someone's already posted this, but I'm not reading through the whole of this thread. - What would this 069b mean? It was on my results slip and I haven't a clue what it means. If someone could enlighten me...?
Original post by 08boothc
Please help!

I got my Maths results earlier this year, I did both Edexcel Linear and AQA Modular and achieved a C in both!. Does this mean I get two GCSE's or am I only allowed to use one?

Also they didn't show up on my results slip this results day and because I got the results in April I don't have anything to prove I got them! My edexcel one is on the results online thing but will I have to wait for my certificates to come to prove I got the C's? Or is there another way of proving I passed before hand?

Thanks for your help in advance!

You should probably ask your school because my school printed off a sheet containing all my results I had ever got so it means I don't need to use my old results sheets so your school probably has verification of the results and can print them off for you.
Original post by radhikagulati
Basically, I was supposed to be attending a private school where I achieved a 50% scholarship, but due to financial reasons, it would be difficult (not impossible) to send me there. I received my GCSEs this week and achieved 14A*s and want to take Spanish, Maths, Chemistry and Biology for A-Level (I dont mind taking IB either) and was wondering whether good sixth forms such as St Olaves, tiffins, etc, or private schools that can give me a good scholarship, e.g. city of london, epsom college, reigate grammar, etc would still consider me?

Also if anyone could give me good grammar schools in south east england/central london, it would really help!

thanks

x

Hi there - the King's School, Canterbury is one of the best private schools in the whole of the UK!! They gave me 100% scholarship and I'm not paying a penny of my fees! Google them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dalek1099
You should probably ask your school because my school printed off a sheet containing all my results I had ever got so it means I don't need to use my old results sheets so your school probably has verification of the results and can print them off for you.

Omg I had the same question! So can you use 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest