The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College Medicine applicants 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by x_ANT
Yeah I can understand that, but like you said, I don't think that is an uncommon thing in hospitals and many unis. They do appear to be acting on feedback from students a lot more now though, so hopefully this is something that will improve.

Very true. That mess up with yr4 exams was the straw that broke the camels back. Lots of dissatisfied students. If like to see Kings listen to the students and start competing with UCL/Imperial/Oxbridge again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Just out of interest, you know some medical schools give their students ipads/iphones? Do kings do anything like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Hi guys, for my AS I acheived AAAC the C in chem - (my last exam appeared to pull me down also no one in my school in as or a2 got an a this year - so may be a class remark coming up) , and i really want to apply to Kings what do you think my chances of being offered an interview is ? Please let me know what you think, thankyou :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by aloha_here
Hi guys, for my AS I acheived AAAC the C in chem - (my last exam appeared to pull me down also no one in my school in as or a2 got an a this year - so may be a class remark coming up) , and i really want to apply to Kings what do you think my chances of being offered an interview is ? Please let me know what you think, thankyou :smile:

It would be hard to say without knowing your GCSE results and UKCAT.
Reply 24
Original post by x_ANT
It would be hard to say without knowing your GCSE results and UKCAT.

Hi my gcse results were 7A*s & 4 As and I'll let you know my ukcat score as soon as I've sat it thank you :smile:
Reply 25
Hi my gcse results were 7A*s & 4 As and I'll let you know my ukcat score as soon as I've sat it thank you :smile:

Well your GCSEs are good but I think that they like the last AS to be a B. It would probably be best to get in touch with admissions and ask. If you can get it to a B, your GCSEs combined with a decent UKCAT could get you an interview.
Reply 26
Original post by x_ANT
Well your GCSEs are good but I think that they like the last AS to be a B. It would probably be best to get in touch with admissions and ask. If you can get it to a B, your GCSEs combined with a decent UKCAT could get you an interview.

Does it bear any weighting that if my grade doesnt move up hrough i remark that i will resit , and that i was only a few ums marks off? sorry for all the questions!Thankyou :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by x_ANT
Your chemistry will need to be an A. You could continue with maths, which is already an A and then one of the others. Do you mean should you apply next year when you've finished your A levels completely? Because if you apply this year, I think you still put down your AS level results, and your teachers will send their predicted grades.

So, I got Aab (the b for Chemistry); does that mean I shouldn't bother applying, even if my UKCAT is FAIRLY high?

I'm almost certain I'll be predicted an A though.
Reply 28
Original post by TheAsian
So, I got Aab (the b for Chemistry); does that mean I shouldn't bother applying, even if my UKCAT is FAIRLY high?

I'm almost certain I'll be predicted an A though.

Is that for AS? If so, you can apply, you'll just have to make sure that you get an A by the end of A level. Most unis, not just King's, require an A in A level Chemistry.
Reply 29
Does it bear any weighting that if my grade doesnt move up hrough i remark that i will resit , and that i was only a few ums marks off? sorry for all the questions!Thankyou :smile:

It should be okay if you resit, most unis accept resits within two years for medicine.
Reply 30
Original post by x_ANT
Is that for AS? If so, you can apply, you'll just have to make sure that you get an A by the end of A level. Most unis, not just King's, require an A in A level Chemistry.

Oh okay, thanks. Yup, just for AS! 2 raw marks off an a.

:mad:

Also, do you think my A Level situation would hinder my chances?

Year 11: English AS (a) and Maths AS (a)

Year 12: Maths A2 (A), Biology AS (a), Chemistry AS (b)

Year 13: Further Maths AS and A2 (pred. A), Biology (pred. A*) and Chemistry A2 (pred. A)
Reply 31
Original post by Flobie
Just out of interest, you know some medical schools give their students ipads/iphones? Do kings do anything like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

First time I've heard of this o______O
Reply 32
Oh okay, thanks. Yup, just for AS! 2 raw marks off an a.

:mad:

Also, do you think my A Level situation would hinder my chances?

Year 11: English AS (a) and Maths AS (a)

Year 12: Maths A2 (A), Biology AS (a), Chemistry AS (b)

Year 13: Further Maths AS and A2 (pred. A), Biology (pred. A*) and Chemistry A2 (pred. A)

If you're just 2 marks off you should easily be able to make that up next year so you end up with an A overall. Have you taken your A levels over 3 years then? You might have to ring up admissions and ask about that as I only really know about A levels taken over 2 years.
Reply 33

I think some do but I don't think many universities do it. King's don't; they did consider it at one point but I can't remember the reason for not doing it. Quite a lot of people have their own before they come to uni anyway.
Reply 34
Original post by x_ANT
If you're just 2 marks off you should easily be able to make that up next year so you end up with an A overall. Have you taken your A levels over 3 years then? You might have to ring up admissions and ask about that as I only really know about A levels taken over 2 years.

Maths is really the only A Level which has been taken from Yr11-12, but it was still over two years.
Yeah, I emailed them.
29 Oct 2012:
"This would not be a problem. As long as you have completed each A Level within 2 years of starting it, this would be fine and would not hinder your chances at gaining a place here at King's."

...But I'm emailing all my chosen unis again, just to be sure!

Also, would you say Psychology is a better bet than Further Maths, or it doesn't really make a difference?

I know Manchester do it, dunno where else though

Original post by x_ANT
I think some do but I don't think many universities do it. King's don't; they did consider it at one point but I can't remember the reason for not doing it. Quite a lot of people have their own before they come to uni anyway.

Oh right, fair enough :smile:
Reply 36
Maths is really the only A Level which has been taken from Yr11-12, but it was still over two years.
Yeah, I emailed them.
29 Oct 2012:
"This would not be a problem. As long as you have completed each A Level within 2 years of starting it, this would be fine and would not hinder your chances at gaining a place here at King's."

...But I'm emailing all my chosen unis again, just to be sure!

Also, would you say Psychology is a better bet than Further Maths, or it doesn't really make a difference?

Oh right okay :smile: It's up to you really. I'd pick the one you enjoy more because you've already got Biology, Chemistry and Maths haven't you. Having a different, less sciencey one might be nice for you and sometimes it can be beneficial to have a different one to show different skills. I had Biology, Chemistry and Music. I'd say just go for the one you think you'll enjoy and will do well in.
I have already achieved A*A*Aa (Biology, Psychology, English Lit, AS Chemistry). Having only AS Chem is obviously highly restricting but am I right in thinking I can apply to King's as this is what the entry requirements say:

Chemistry and Biology, at least one at A-level, the other may be at AS-level. We welcome
applicants who offer non-science subjects chosen from the range of humanities, languages
and social sciences.

I've not taken my UKCAT so that can't be taken into account yet, hopefully it will be high.
Reply 38
Original post by SusieShire
I have already achieved A*A*Aa (Biology, Psychology, English Lit, AS Chemistry). Having only AS Chem is obviously highly restricting but am I right in thinking I can apply to King's as this is what the entry requirements say:

I've not taken my UKCAT so that can't be taken into account yet, hopefully it will be high.

If that's what it says then you'll be okay applying to King's, but it will restrict your other choices. You'd have to look carefully at other requirements, to see if the ones you apply to want A2 Chem.
Reply 39
Do you guys know whether Kings places heavy emphasis on the personal statement? I have good school results and also decent work experience and extra curriculars, but writing this statement does not seem to be my strength and I have trouble really making it great.

Quick Reply

Latest