The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 08batee
Hang on in there hun! I know the feeling when you don't care about yourself anymore and it's not nice, though I'm glad you have lovely people around you who can care for you and keep you safe :hugs: I hope things feel better for you soon :hugs:

Feel like im heading back to self destruct. I cant go back there or it wont end too great.
Just wish i was with my boyfriend right now. Lying in bed on my own with my thoughts isnt a good idea :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hate nights so much. :frown: Cant do this. :cry2:
Reply 6522
Original post by tasha96
Hate nights so much. :frown: Cant do this. :cry2:

:hugs: yeah you can. You have any distractions you can use?
can't sleep, feel incredibly alone and depressed, have nobody to talk to either cause I think my girlfriend is asleep and I just can't stop thinking about how I have no friends nearby and nothing I can do except be alone :frown: urgh :frown:

not felt this lonely in a while :cry2:
Reply 6524
Original post by SciFiRory
can't sleep, feel incredibly alone and depressed, have nobody to talk to either cause I think my girlfriend is asleep and I just can't stop thinking about how I have no friends nearby and nothing I can do except be alone :frown: urgh :frown:

not felt this lonely in a while :cry2:

is not the same I know, but you always have us e-people :hugs:
Original post by Sultana
is not the same I know, but you always have us e-people :hugs:

thank you :hugs: just dunno what brought this on, I guess being apart from my girlfriend for a while without anything to take my mind off being on my own has just got to me right now :frown: watching tv, playing games but nothing seems to work, just feel crap :frown:

my girlfriend can't visit for a while yet either and I have no friends nearby or anything, just feel isolated and alone, and so much to sort out and it all takes time, gahhh :frown:
Ok well I've not posted here before but I'm supposed to be going to the GP tomorrow to begin to sort out severe social anxiety, agoraphobia which has resulted from this, and other depression and anxiety-related problems. Precisely because of the nature of the problem, though, I'm dreading it. There's no chance of me going to sleep tonight but if anyone has any support or advice as to how to handle it it would be appreciated :frown:
Reply 6527
thank you :hugs: just dunno what brought this on, I guess being apart from my girlfriend for a while without anything to take my mind off being on my own has just got to me right now :frown: watching tv, playing games but nothing seems to work, just feel crap :frown:

my girlfriend can't visit for a while yet either and I have no friends nearby or anything, just feel isolated and alone, and so much to sort out and it all takes time, gahhh :frown:

Feeling overwhelmed and alone is really horrible, but just try and take it all one step at a time until things get figured out and you can see your girlfriend again. :hugs:

Personally I always find actually doing something to be much more helpful than passively staring at a screen. So for me I mostly try and spend time sewing/knitting but also cooking or baking stuff, sometimes I've tried to paint or do some creative writing. As well as being distracting you get the added bonus of having something tangible at the end of it, which always feels like an accomplishment (regardless of how bad it is :lol:) So maybe trying something like that out might help pass some time?
Reply 6528
Original post by Anonymous
Ok well I've not posted here before but I'm supposed to be going to the GP tomorrow to begin to sort out severe social anxiety, agoraphobia which has resulted from this, and other depression and anxiety-related problems. Precisely because of the nature of the problem, though, I'm dreading it. There's no chance of me going to sleep tonight but if anyone has any support or advice as to how to handle it it would be appreciated :frown:

Well done for making the appointment, I know how scary it is, but it's a really positive first step to take.
The actual appointment shouldn't be too bad at all. Doctors deal with mental health patients every day so they understand how tough it is and once they know what you've come in for they'll guide the conversation. If you're worried you'll get tongue-tied it might be an idea to write a list of your symptoms/important things you want to mention to have as a prompter, or even to just hand over (I do this all the time and they dont mind a bit). Good luck with it, I hope it goes well for you! :smile:
Original post by Sultana
Feeling overwhelmed and alone is really horrible, but just try and take it all one step at a time until things get figured out and you can see your girlfriend again. :hugs:

Personally I always find actually doing something to be much more helpful than passively staring at a screen. So for me I mostly try and spend time sewing/knitting but also cooking or baking stuff, sometimes I've tried to paint or do some creative writing. As well as being distracting you get the added bonus of having something tangible at the end of it, which always feels like an accomplishment (regardless of how bad it is :lol:) So maybe trying something like that out might help pass some time?

yeah, just not sure what to do, I need to check with my mum what stuff I have coming up tomorrow I think.

I guess so, im not much good at doing things though :/ I might try reading or something, either that or just try and sleep again, I dunno, thank you anyway, hope youre okay yourself? :hugs:
Original post by KelsiusMaximus
Hey guys. I have a diagnosis of BPD & bipolar, and start applying to Uni next month, for sentenced 2014(I'm 21 next month). I was just wondering if my mental health would affect my uni application?(I've spent 11 weeks as an inpatient since November 2012)

It shouldn't effect your application at all (they aren't allowed to do that because you technically have a disability)!
But it's still worth mentioning it at some stage during the time leading up to uni. If they are aware you have a mental health problem they can take it into account when giving you accommodation if you have certain preferences (I don't like ground floor rooms or shared bathrooms for instance) and they can offer you extra help and support throughout your time there. You could also be eligible for benefits from disabled student allowance as mental health conditions count as a disability. It's worth looking into along with the support the uni can offer you. It may give you a bit more peace of mind to do this after you have applied and been given an offer or even once you've been accepted. Although it can't affect their decision it could still feel as though it will to you and may cause you to worry needlessly. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sultana
Well done for making the appointment, I know how scary it is, but it's a really positive first step to take.
The actual appointment shouldn't be too bad at all. Doctors deal with mental health patients every day so they understand how tough it is and once they know what you've come in for they'll guide the conversation. If you're worried you'll get tongue-tied it might be an idea to write a list of your symptoms/important things you want to mention to have as a prompter, or even to just hand over (I do this all the time and they dont mind a bit). Good luck with it, I hope it goes well for you! :smile:

Thanks so much - yeah, I'm going to try to get everything down on paper before I go. The most nerve-wracking this isn't so much being there but getting there. They open at 8 which is rush hour and I'm so horribly self-conscious of my appearance. Just have to bite the bullet, I suppose. Dreading it.
As always, not a good evening. Wanted to cry to get the sadness out but just couldn't. And yet again I am unaware of having any trigger or reason to feel sad.

My boyfriend is so lovely though and came to spend the night at mine when I asked even though it was really late and his mum didn't really want him to. :smile: it's kinda silly but just having somebody like him there when I'm sad makes it feel easier to deal with and just generally less scary.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6533
yeah, just not sure what to do, I need to check with my mum what stuff I have coming up tomorrow I think.

I guess so, im not much good at doing things though :/ I might try reading or something, either that or just try and sleep again, I dunno, thank you anyway, hope youre okay yourself? :hugs:

Me neither. :tongue: Is just the doing something I find helpful. Hope you get to sleep soon!

Original post by Anonymous
Thanks so much - yeah, I'm going to try to get everything down on paper before I go. The most nerve-wracking this isn't so much being there but getting there. They open at 8 which is rush hour and I'm so horribly self-conscious of my appearance. Just have to bite the bullet, I suppose. Dreading it.

Yeah I can understand that; I'm pretty much housebound myself, though for different reasons. It sucks. :sadnod: If it's any consolation, like you say it is rush hour so no one will be in the slightest bit interested in you - they've all just got their own things to do, places to be etc. :tongue:
Mind and reward yourself for going!
I am listening to music. A great song came on and it inspired me to come on here and say hello.I hope everybody is happy, healthy and wise. :smile:
So - I went to the GP as planned, hoping to make a start on dealing with severe social anxiety that has kept me in my house during day time for months, as well as other depression and anxiety problems - and, (typically!) they were off today. I guess all of these bank holidays or whatever become redundant when you're trapped in your house for months!

But I've never felt so invigorated. I haven't been out in the day for months but I haven't been out in the day without a heavy jacket/coat on for longer, and cycling through my area with nothing but a shirt and trousers was so liberating. It's proved to me that, at least, my depression and anxiety is heavily situational and with CBT etc I should be able to kick them. I'm going to uni in september so I am a little worried that it's started too late, but a starts a start.

Just wanted to share that :wink:
The course I'm applying to is Mental Health Nursing. Cardiff Uni told me at an open day that they'd really like me to apply there, as my experience with mental health would be beneficial, etc. thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!
Reply 6537
Original post by PonchoKid
Feel like im heading back to self destruct. I cant go back there or it wont end too great.
Just wish i was with my boyfriend right now. Lying in bed on my own with my thoughts isnt a good idea :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:jumphug: I really hope you were okay last night.
Reply 6538
Original post by 08batee
Yeah, there are so many good episodes... the one with Ross's teeth, his 'English' accent, the tight leather trousers, the list goes on... :lol: :moon:

Ross's teeth :lol: I remember cringing when he said Rachel at the alter hahaaaaaaa. Do you remember his sandwich too? :rofl: Friends is still great to this day :h:
Reply 6539
Nut.'s gone home and it feels.. weird. After being together for a week I'm a bit like "what do I do with myself when I don't have company!?" which is sort of pathetic. Am going through my clothes making a massive pile of things to donate to charity or throw away, but feels like there's only so much purposeful stuff I can do. At some point my head is just going to explode. Feel energetic, but like it's energy that could be really destructive if I don't channel it properly, if that makes sense.

Latest