The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thank **** Madrid are going for Bale. This should hopefully lengthen the amount of time we'll have Hazard.

Would really like to see Willian and Eto'o as well. (The former esp.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Assassin
Thank **** Madrid are going for Bale. This should hopefully lengthen the amount of time we'll have Hazard.

Suarez Saga
Rooney Saga
Bale Saga
I dont see any of them going through.
Reply 5942
Original post by Enoxial
Suarez Saga
Rooney Saga
Bale Saga
I dont see any of them going through.

Bale is gone already lol. He left to go talk to madrid, bale hasn't left yet but he's agreed personal terms and madrid and spurs are just sorting out the fee. Rooney was always a maybe, Moyes words were misinterpreted as he's not their main player. I did think that we'd put in a big offer for rooney that they can't refuse but it made little sense for united to sell to chelsea unless it was a big offer.

Surely Madrid getting Bale doesn't affect any future interest they'd have in Hazard? If the rumours of Ronaldo wanting to join United next year are true then there is a possibility they'd want Hazard to replace him :confused:

More likely scenario of course is that Hazard will be at Chelsea for a long time due to Mourinho and him possibly being the 'star' of the team though :wink:
Make no mistake, if Madrid want Hazard, you guys are powerless to stop him. Sooner or later, he will leave for them, if they want him, that is. It seems like a logical career move in 1-3 seasons time.
Original post by jam277
Bale is gone already lol. He left to go talk to madrid, bale hasn't left yet but he's agreed personal terms and madrid and spurs are just sorting out the fee. Rooney was always a maybe, Moyes words were misinterpreted as he's not their main player. I did think that we'd put in a big offer for rooney that they can't refuse but it made little sense for united to sell to chelsea unless it was a big offer.

Lol, I would really like to see Ronaldo and Bale's ego to clash :biggrin:
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Surely Madrid getting Bale doesn't affect any future interest they'd have in Hazard? If the rumours of Ronaldo wanting to join United next year are true then there is a possibility they'd want Hazard to replace him :confused:

More likely scenario of course is that Hazard will be at Chelsea for a long time due to Mourinho and him possibly being the 'star' of the team though :wink:

I don't think Ronaldo will be leaving.

No, I still think they're going to go for Hazard -- I just think with them buying Bale they'll get him a bit later instead :biggrin:. I doubt Hazard will be here for a long time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Musester
We didn't sell Drogba. We even offered him a new deal. He turned it down, because he wanted to go out on a high, a new challenge (and more money) in China. He could clearly still do the business. But for the good of Torres (and in the long run the team) he had to go. It would be better to phase out all of the bigger core of the team over time.

Look at Arsenal. They lost the most important parts of their invincible's squad (Henry, Pires, Cole, Viera) within a season or two of each other. Drogba would have been good to provide experience for the other players such as Lampard, Cech and Terry are now, but in the 2011-2012 season he only scored about 5 goals aside from the CL all season.

My bad. Sorry my mind went crazy for a second haha, I was being stupid! I agree with you but I would have loved to see him stay! Its sad to see so many star players leave but they make way for youngsters that have the ability to grow better and become stars in their own right. I would have loved to see players like Reuss or Christian Eriksen come to chelsea!

Personally I would like to see Rooney come to Chelsea (though the deal seems definitely off now).
Reply 5948
Original post by Tweek
Entirely dependant on what type of game we're playing, counter-attacking or possession. We have players for both now.
Also no one has seen what the team can do yet and there's plenty of different line-ups to try to see who clicks the best.

For me, I'm not saying it's the best, But I'd really love to see a formation such as the following.

Cech - Cole, Ivan, Luiz, Azpi - MVG (B2B), KDB/Oscar (DLP) - Schurrle, Mata/Willian, Hazard - Lukaku/Eto'o.

Hazard and Schurrle where immense on the wings tonight, and they both tracked back well. Their defensive work rate was brilliant.

Oscar and KDB have both played a deeper role, and I'm hoping one of them will be moulded there to replace lamps and to free up room upfront. Oscar would be my preferred choice as his tackling and marking has really came on.

I think Ivan and Luiz would only work if we pressed a lot, such as tonight, and the midfield could control a game. They're both attack minded and if we didn't close down as a team it would be a disaster pairing, but personally I think they're the two best CB's.

MVG is self explanatory, Good defensively and will work hard to retain the ball. Better passing than Ramires.

Not sure on how good Eto'o is still, but he looks like he still has it, just wasn't motivated at Anzi. Lukaku should progress further this season.

Think Willian has been under rated by a lot of people. Will speed up the play more than Mata, but then again Mata is Mata. The only problem with Mata is he's a bit like Ozil. Poor defensively and tires late in game. But he's still world-class until he gets fatigued.

The entire team would be dependant on the Pivot, they'd control the game but whether they'd hold up defensively I don't know.

Alright. Interesting points.

Imo, Terry and Luiz are your best CBs.

I agree that the first XI selection depends on the opposition. But if I had to go with what could be Chelsea's best XI, it'll be this:

Cech, Azpi, Luiz, Terry, Cole, MVG, Lampard/Essien, Schurrle, Mata, Hazard, Eto'o.

The double pivot would depend on the opposition. If you want more defensive reassurance against a big team, then Essien + MVG combo is best. Essien will be the DM and MVG will be B2B. If you want more going forward, then MVG + Lampard combo is best. MVG will be the more defensive one out of the two.

But all in all, it's great that Chelsea have so many options to pick from against different opponents.

I'm looking forward to what Jose does with the squad over the season.
Reply 5949
Original post by Isometrix
It's really hard to come up with a best lineup for us, as there's just too much choice!

The team needs a solid spine I feel, like how City and Utd have:

Hart, Kompany, Toure, Aguero
DDG, Vidic, Carrick, RVP

Once you have this I think the rest of the team can fall in place. But for us, I'm not sure. It used to be our old guard who were the spine:

Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba

But who do you think would fulfil those roles now? Cech is still solid, and I guess Terry is getting back into good form under Jose. Not sure about our FWDs though, and Ramires who is meant to be our team engine is just too inconsistent.

I agree that it's hard to determine a spine for the team, especially without a regular first choice striker and Mata not being a guaranteed starter. But if I had to guess, it'll be this:

Cech, Terry/Luiz, Lampard/MVG, Mata

If Eto'o becomes first choice striker, then your spine could be:

Cech, Terry, Lampard, Mata, Eto'o.

Not bad, is it?

If I had to pick your best XI right now, it'd probably be:

---------------------Cech

Azpi--------Luiz----------Terry-------Cole

------Lamps/Essien-----MVG

Schurrle----------Mata------------Hazard

--------------------Eto'o

Very strong team, isn't it?

I have put Schurrle on the right wing instead of Oscar because I feel Oscar plays much better in his free role as a no.10. Additionally, Schurrle will offer more width and threat from wide areas, instead of Oscar constantly drifting in and congesting the final third of the pitch.

Mata and Oscar should be rotated for the no.10 position over the season to keep both of them fresh.

Where should KdB play whenever he gets the chance? No.10 role? RW? Or in the double pivot? He has all the qualities to play in any of those roles.
(edited 10 years ago)
De Goey, Ferrer, Desailly, Leboeuf, Babayaro, Petrescu, Le Saux, Wise, Di Matteo, Flo, Zola.
Reply 5951
Lampard isn't going to be able to play as many games as normal. Not if he's to be effective.
Reply 5952
Original post by manty
Van Ginkel has a great future and is a better player than ramires imo.

From what I've seen of him, he looks like he'll be a better player for Chelsea this season than Ramires. But Ramires is still a useful player to have in your squad nonetheless.
Reply 5953
Original post by Tweek
Lampard isn't going to be able to play as many games as normal. Not if he's to be effective.

Agreed.

Which is why Jose should be rotating him with MVG to keep Lamps fresh. Also, Essien should be getting more games than Ramires imo. But maybe Jose fears that Essien will get another long term injury if he plays him too much.
Original post by Cable

Very strong team, isn't it?

I have put Schurrle on the right wing instead of Oscar because I feel Oscar plays much better in his free role as a no.10. Additionally, Schurrle will offer more width and threat from wide areas, instead of Oscar constantly drifting in and congesting the final third of the pitch.

Mata and Oscar should be rotated for the no.10 position over the season to keep both of them fresh.

Where should KdB play whenever he gets the chance? No.10 role? RW? Or in the double pivot? He has all the qualities to play in any of those roles.

Yh it's strong, assuming Eto'o will adapt to this league. I'm pretty eager to see him play for us actually.

As for KDB, I think he looked best when he was playing as an attacking mid. He's been linking up really well with Hazard and Oscar when he's been playing there. Also I don't know where Willian will fit into all of this, as he would normally be playing in Hazard's position. Looks like we're set to be rotating like this over the season:

Schurrle/KDB - Mata/Oscar - Hazard/Willian

Couldn't have asked for more strength in depth tbh.
Reply 5955
Original post by Isometrix
Yh it's strong, assuming Eto'o will adapt to this league. I'm pretty eager to see him play for us actually.

As for KDB, I think he looked best when he was playing as an attacking mid. He's been linking up really well with Hazard and Oscar when he's been playing there. Also I don't know where Willian will fit into all of this, as he would normally be playing in Hazard's position. Looks like we're set to be rotating like this over the season:

Schurrle/KDB - Mata/Oscar - Hazard/Willian

Couldn't have asked for more strength in depth tbh.

Agreed.

Exciting times ahead.
Reply 5956
What about Moses? He seems to have been forgotten already or are the rumours of him going to Liverpool on loan actually true?
You guys should sign Fellaini and play him alongside Luiz in midfield just for the lols.
Musester gets banned the same day he gets unbanned. :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Musester gets banned the same day he gets unbanned. :redface:

Why is he always banned?

Latest