The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough Firmers 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ElChapo
Lol yeah I also noticed that, the DVD kinda sucked for me lol, like the navigation was really tricky and buggy? I was hoping they were finally gonna show us what the refurbished Falk-Egg looks like :frown:.
Without wishing to sound unduly negative, I also found several sections quite difficult to hear - in terms of what the student presenters were actually saying - so keen (apparently) were the producers to overlay the entire DVD with 'pumping landfill dance musak' (why is it assumed that all Freshers rate this musical genre?)

Nice gesture to send it out, tho...

M.A
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 581
Right I'm sure I'm being a bit thick here but just need some help. I've paid my room bond and my arrival slot. I'm in David collet. But I don't know what room I'm in or if I've got a room :/ can't find any way to check either. All it says is area west on my form. Some help please :biggrin:
Reply 582
Original post by MayaAk
Heyyy! No you're the first person! I'm so excited! I still haven't sorted out accommodation yet though :'( which hall are you staying in?

I'm really excited too! Ah that sucks, have you applied then and waiting to hear? I'm in Robert Bakewell, so feeling very lucky!

What made you choose Social Psychology then?

Btw I posted a forum the other day to see if I could find anyone else doing it! Only one person replied but here it is in case you wanted to check it out and get involved on that instead! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2456645
Quick question - the 4' beds (I believe that they're identical in Elvyn, Bakwell and Rigg-Rut?) - are they 'solid' all the way around the base - or can items be slid under them at the side? Thinking of packing/bringing stuff in several 'Underbed storage' trays - but only makes sense if beds suit that mode...Cheers.

M.A
Original post by Atotheb
Right I'm sure I'm being a bit thick here but just need some help. I've paid my room bond and my arrival slot. I'm in David collet. But I don't know what room I'm in or if I've got a room :/ can't find any way to check either. All it says is area west on my form. Some help please :biggrin:

You have a room, but won't find out which one until arrival day. You'll probably get some sort of e-mail or postal correspondence pretty soon with your room induction information (in other words, telling you fire safety stuff and asking if you have religious requirements or are a veggie etc)

Original post by Mr Aitch
Quick question - the 4' beds (I believe that they're identical in Elvyn, Bakwell and Rigg-Rut?) - are they 'solid' all the way around the base - or can items be slid under them at the side? Thinking of packing/bringing stuff in several 'Underbed storage' trays - but only makes sense if beds suit that mode...Cheers.

M.A

Should have under-bed storage, but it'll be where you have to flip up your entire mattress to get to it, rather than slide-under.
Reply 585
What are people doing about fancy dress for freshers?! On Bakewell's FAQ page there's a question asking where we can get it and the response was "We've teamed up with an external company and offer a bundle package which you can pick up on arrival day" or something like that! I don't know if it's the same for other halls but I'm guessing so? So is that what people are doing or are they taking their own stuff? I don't know what's included in the bundle package?! And do we pay more for it?!
Original post by alicepriestley
Whey! It's gonna be awesome with the new building! Oh right, I'm guessing though they will email soon with the arrival slot thing though right?
I know same :/ What are you studying?

Sorry only just seen this, and I know I'm really glad I picked Telford! Have you booked your arrival slot yet? I did mine on Monday picked 11-12 :-) and I'm studying psychology, what are you studying? :smile:
Original post by emilyleah
Sorry only just seen this, and I know I'm really glad I picked Telford! Have you booked your arrival slot yet? I did mine on Monday picked 11-12 :-) and I'm studying psychology, what are you studying? :smile:

Haha don't worry about it! Getting excited now, have you started packing stuff yet?
Yeah I picked 14:00-15:00 because I live about 4 hours away haha, and I can't believe we only have an hour to unpack I have so much stuff :colondollar:
Ooh I would've liked to do psychology I'm not smart enough though haha, I'm doing English :smile:
Original post by Kelly95
What are people doing about fancy dress for freshers?! On Bakewell's FAQ page there's a question asking where we can get it and the response was "We've teamed up with an external company and offer a bundle package which you can pick up on arrival day" or something like that! I don't know if it's the same for other halls but I'm guessing so? So is that what people are doing or are they taking their own stuff? I don't know what's included in the bundle package?! And do we pay more for it?!

I also want to know this! I asked my facebook page for my halls (Telford) they said they'd email us with the themes.. but still not heard anything. I know nothing about a bundle thing though!
Anyone know how you can access your student email? Which website do you actually log onto?
Haha don't worry about it! Getting excited now, have you started packing stuff yet?
Yeah I picked 14:00-15:00 because I live about 4 hours away haha, and I can't believe we only have an hour to unpack I have so much stuff :colondollar:
Ooh I would've liked to do psychology I'm not smart enough though haha, I'm doing English :smile:

not really I have everything in bags but I'm packing properly the week we go still need to get a few things and I know I was going to use boxes to pack but opting for suitcases instead for the majority so I can take them to my room easier. I just saw your question to someone else about Telford fancy dress themes I don't know if you've seen it but there's a timetable on the telford facebook page that tells you what we'll be doing each night and what the fancy dress will be if that's what you're looking for :smile:
Anyone know how you can access your student email? Which website do you actually log onto?

my.lboro.ac.uk then it's your username and password that you got when you did the online registration then you'll see a box that's your email when you've logged onto the page :-)
Reply 592
I also want to know this! I asked my facebook page for my halls (Telford) they said they'd email us with the themes.. but still not heard anything. I know nothing about a bundle thing though!

Yeah all halls get bundles and at least two shirts, one with a recurring hall theme and one with a tick box list of freshers achievements although said tickbox varies a little between halls. Any other themes tend to be really easy/ standard, like animals, geek etc. Many halls have their own site with a little calendar of freshers week and the themes.
my.lboro.ac.uk then it's your username and password that you got when you did the online registration then you'll see a box that's your email when you've logged onto the page :-)

ohhh ok thanks! :smile:
not really I have everything in bags but I'm packing properly the week we go still need to get a few things and I know I was going to use boxes to pack but opting for suitcases instead for the majority so I can take them to my room easier. I just saw your question to someone else about Telford fancy dress themes I don't know if you've seen it but there's a timetable on the telford facebook page that tells you what we'll be doing each night and what the fancy dress will be if that's what you're looking for :smile:

Hmm that might have been smarter to pack in suitcases.. haha oh well. I can just see me carrying the box to my room and smack .. everything I own that is fragile will go everywhere lol.
Yeah I have done thankyou! I ordered my outfits last night I can't wait haha, especially the zoo animal theme and OAPs haha will be fun :P
Original post by Eireni
Yeah all halls get bundles and at least two shirts, one with a recurring hall theme and one with a tick box list of freshers achievements although said tickbox varies a little between halls. Any other themes tend to be really easy/ standard, like animals, geek etc. Many halls have their own site with a little calendar of freshers week and the themes.

Brilliant, thankyou! Guessing you're not a first year student?
Reply 596
Yeah I picked 14:00-15:00 because I live about 4 hours away haha, and I can't believe we only have an hour to unpack I have so much stuff

Actually they don't care that much once you've arrived, the booking in time slots is just to make sure everyone's arrival is staggered. I got there an hour late and they just didn't care at all

Brilliant, thankyou! Guessing you're not a first year student?

Well it's a bit confused because it's my first year of a degree this year but I was at Loughborough last year for a foundation year. So I'm like a returning fresher? I see it as being a fresher but without the confusion, which is a bonus.
Original post by Eireni
Actually they don't care that much once you've arrived, the booking in time slots is just to make sure everyone's arrival is staggered. I got there an hour late and they just didn't care at all

Oh, fair enough then.

Well it's a bit confused because it's my first year of a degree this year but I was at Loughborough last year for a foundation year. So I'm like a returning fresher? I see it as being a fresher but without the confusion, which is a bonus.

Haha oh right now I'm confused :redface: so you're in Telford then? I'm so chuffed it's in the student village :biggrin:
Did you complete the sefs course, if so how was it and living?
Reply 599
Haha oh right now I'm confused :redface: so you're in Telford then? I'm so chuffed it's in the student village :biggrin:

I was in Royce last year, most halls work exactly the same way. The reception for those halls is the whitworth building and that's the place that was organising time slots but didn't care so much about exact arrival times. The halls in the student village are Royce, Faraday, Telford, Rutherford, Village court and some others I never bothered with so most student activity happens in that vague area.

Sefs course? You've lost me I'm afraid, what are you referring to? (I might have the answer but I tend to forget names of things sorry)

This year I'm living in town.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending