The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1760
Original post by NikoB
Don't apply, the cut off will most likely rise by more than 5 if not 10 points

I went on the KAPLAN course and they said the average is likely to fall because most of the feedback they got suggests this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I went on the KAPLAN course and they said the average is likely to fall because most of the feedback they got suggests this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well either way, it's risky :redface: but that's interesting, i think manchester cut off fell from 2010 to 2011 entry but ever since it's been rising..
Has anyone ever been given an interview at Exeter but rejected from Plymouth or the other way round?

Cause I'm applying to them and don't want to lose them both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
Has anyone ever been given an interview at Exeter but rejected from Plymouth or the other way round?

Cause I'm applying to them and don't want to lose them both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was doing some stalking a week ago, and I remembered this user got an interview at plymouth but was rejected preinterview from exeter :s-smilie: in fact a lot of year 13 applicants were rejected from exeter...
Original post by Dr.Ugs

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was assuming the cutoff would stay relatively the same too considering all the changes in the ukcat but you can never be sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1765
Original post by bluepanda123
I was assuming the cutoff would stay relatively the same too considering all the changes in the ukcat but you can never be sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know! I'm really aiming for anything above 650 :frown: I would be over the moon lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NikoB
I was doing some stalking a week ago, and I remembered this user got an interview at plymouth but was rejected preinterview from exeter :s-smilie: in fact a lot of year 13 applicants were rejected from exeter...

Yeah a lot of year 13 applicants were rejected last year. Hopefully they have mercy on us re applicants :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1767
Does anyone think more Unis will allow resit applicants without extentuating circumstances for 2015 entry. I got 720UKCAT but failed my AS-Levels so resiting Year 12

I got CCCDE in Maths Chemistry Gen studies FMaths Physics
Reply 1768
Original post by manupalace
I wouldn't worry about repeating yourself at interview. Interview will be a chance to elaborate on the skills/learning mentioned in your PS, and will give you a chance to provide specific examples of situations where you demonstrated these skills (these types of interview questions are quite common). Also at some places (not sure where you're applying) the interviewers won't have seen your PS.

Thanks, can't wait to get started now. In that case, good luck with the BMAT as I've heard Imperial are very strict with their cutoffs (I didn't take it as they use the UKCAT for grad entry).

Thank you for all the help!! 'm applying for graduate medicine, which means that I'll need to ace the UKCAT. My exam is on the 1st October :frown:

How good are the PS editors on this site. I know lecturer who interviews prospective medical applicants and he said that he's more than happy to read my ps but I also want a second opinion. Is anyone willing to read my ps draft?
Reply 1769
Original post by AhmedDavid
Does anyone think more Unis will allow resit applicants without extentuating circumstances for 2015 entry. I got 720UKCAT but failed my AS-Levels so resiting Year 12

try and resityour exams in y13? generally you're going to have a hard time if you spend more than 2 years on A-levels although some places will allow it.
Original post by hawflo
Thank you for all the help!! 'm applying for graduate medicine, which means that I'll need to ace the UKCAT. My exam is on the 1st October :frown:

How good are the PS editors on this site. I know lecturer who interviews prospective medical applicants and he said that he's more than happy to read my ps but I also want a second opinion. Is anyone willing to read my ps draft?

Sorry, for some reason I assumed you were a school leaver. I've no idea how good the PS helpers are on this site as I've never used them. Feel free to send me your PS if you want and I'll look over it (my I'll be doing the Imperial GEM). PM me if you want this (ideally in the next week as I start on the 30th) and I'll send you my email address.

Good luck with the UKCAT, as your right it is really important to do well (especially if you haven't done the GAMSAT). The important thing with Imperial is consistency, as you need 640 in each section, it doesn't seem that high but so many people slip up in at least one section (usually VR).

Also not sure if you're on the GEP applicants thread, but your likely to get better advice there, and no one will assume you're a school leaver :wink:

There's no reason why it would change, so the uni's that allow it now will be the uni's that allow it next year. It won't increase.

Think very carefully about resitting year 12 (though I assume you've already started by now). As even the places that accept resitters are really talking about people who have slipped up in A2 (e.g. AAB rather than AAA) and are resitting a few modules to bring the grade(s) up, rather than people who are resitting the whole of year 12.

For example BSMS states on their website:

Spoiler

As another poster stated you could just resit exams in year 13. In maths/sciences many/most of the A2 modules build upon AS modules, so if you are good enough to get A grades at A2, the AS exams will be a relatively easy. This is coming from someone who did all their exams at the end of year 13 (apart from my standalone AS done at the end of year 12), it wasn't that bad, and if you're capable of A grades anyway it won't be impossible for you, even without January modules. If you fail to reach the grades, then resit the apropriate modules and you'll still be in a better position than if you redo year 12.

Original post by richtea5
try and resityour exams in y13? generally you're going to have a hard time if you spend more than 2 years on A-levels although some places will allow it.

Original post by Richyp22
There's no reason why it would change, so the uni's that allow it now will be the uni's that allow it next year. It won't increase.
Reply 1773
Original post by manupalace
Think very carefully about resitting year 12 (though I assume you've already started by now). As even the places that accept resitters are really talking about people who have slipped up in A2 (e.g. AAB rather than AAA) and are resitting a few modules to bring the grade(s) up, rather than people who are resitting the whole of year 12.

For example BSMS states on their website:

As another poster stated you could just resit exams in year 13. In maths/sciences many/most of the A2 modules build upon AS modules, so if you are good enough to get A grades at A2, the AS exams will be a relatively easy. This is coming from someone who did all their exams at the end of year 13 (apart from my standalone AS done at the end of year 12), it wasn't that bad, and if you're capable of A grades anyway it won't be impossible for you, even without January modules. If you fail to reach the grades, then resit the apropriate modules and you'll still be in a better position than if you redo year 12.

Thanks for this, really helpful and yes I have already resat the year. I came in on the first day and caused a bit of a hassle sorting me out to yr12 lessons; and another reason why I choose to resit is because as you can see among the

CCCDE In Chem Maths Gen studies FMaths and Physics

I dont do Biology. I would need to pick AS & A2 Biology in a year and probs drop Physics & FMaths to expand the unis I can apply to.
Reply 1774
Original post by Richyp22

True, I was thinking it might change for several reasons. I thought maybe the June exams thing might affect the grades achieved next year.

Also Leeds changing to the BMAT might not receive as much applications as per therefore allowing resitters. I dont know not really thought of it properly. I was just wondering.
Reply 1775
Do you think the fact that I did not have extra time in my Jan exams getting BCEUU in Chem, Maths, FMaths, Physics, Gen studies would be allowed as extenuating circumstances as when I did it have it in June I got CCCDE but I only had 2months after receiving my jan results. (By then we hadnt even finished learning all of the June units.
All these people are saying don't worry about the SJT section, have they asked universities about this, or universities stated this specifically about this on their websites?
True, I was thinking it might change for several reasons. I thought maybe the June exams thing might affect the grades achieved next year.

Also Leeds changing to the BMAT might not receive as much applications as per therefore allowing resitters. I dont know not really thought of it properly. I was just wondering.

I dunno the reasons why they're changing to ukcat, I suspect it is for the purpose to lower applications.

Do you think the fact that I did not have extra time in my Jan exams getting BCEUU in Chem, Maths, FMaths, Physics, Gen studies would be allowed as extenuating circumstances as when I did it have it in June I got CCCDE but I only had 2months after receiving my jan results. (By then we hadnt even finished learning all of the June units.

Highly doubt it tbh
I'm probably sending my UCAS off at some point this week but I'm kinda worried about my PS. It's really work experience/voluntary work based, mostly talking about what I learnt from those experiences. There's one or two lines about hobbies and nothing about extracurricular reading/attending lectures which I have done I just don't have the room to fit it in! Do you think it'll be okay? :/ I know I can talk about stuff at interview but I need to get interviews first!
Original post by minhle20
I applied to Queen Mary last year. They look at UCAS tariff and UKCAT. What's your UCAS tariff and UKCAT score?

Hey, does General Studies a level count towards your ucas points?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending