The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology or OCR Sociology

I've just finished doing my A2s in Chemistry, Biology, Maths, and Physics. I'm currently on a gap year and I want to use my free year of education. I've already taken on Further Maths. I've spent my two years of A-levels doing all hardcore content based subjects, so I want to do some essay based subjects this year hence I'm also hoping to do Sociology. I'm really confused as to which board I should pick to do my exams with.

If someone could direct me towards the more "exam friendly" board at AS level, and perhaps which specification has the more interesting content, then I'd really appreciate it (I'll be self-teaching Sociology so please take that into consideration).

(Also, if someone here who does both Sociology and Psychology (or History), would you be able to tell me which you enjoy more?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
AQA has the most resources and is quite easy to self-teach.
Reply 2
I did the AQA and found it pretty easy to do at home. You have four modules. 2 core books, one for each year. Then you can purchase study guides which will help with exam technique. Also I found all information extremely easy to understand (second language student) and I found the exam so straightforward - Just put down anything that comes to mind, no "real" exam technique to worry about. Just lots to remember.

Cannot comment on the OCR exam board though, as I havn't done it.
Reply 3
Original post by Charlzi
I did the AQA and found it pretty easy to do at home. You have four modules. 2 core books, one for each year. Then you can purchase study guides which will help with exam technique. Also I found all information extremely easy to understand (second language student) and I found the exam so straightforward - Just put down anything that comes to mind, no "real" exam technique to worry about. Just lots to remember.

Cannot comment on the OCR exam board though, as I havn't done it.

Thank you so much!

I only wish to do AS, what modules can I choose? Which ones did you do? Also, would you be able to recommend a few revision guides and course books which you used to make notes etc?
Reply 4
Original post by nukethemaly
Thank you so much!

I only wish to do AS, what modules can I choose? Which ones did you do? Also, would you be able to recommend a few revision guides and course books which you used to make notes etc?

I did Family and Education as my two AS modules. I personally used this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Level-Sociology-Complete-Specification/dp/0954007956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379087886&sr=8-1&keywords=aqa+sociology
It has EVERYTHING you need to know in it, plus a bit extra. Very easy to read and well structured in terms of each section will relate to a question that can come up on the exam, not much cross over between sections and questions at AS
I also got: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Succeed-AS-Sociology-Complete-Specification/dp/0954007972/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1379087886&sr=8-14&keywords=aqa+sociology
Now this one is not neccessary, as everything is in the orange book, but it is good for some more exam examples and just general revision help

Also a quick note. Do as MANY exam questions/papers you can. Get them off the AQA website. It will help put the knowledge you learn into exam context and be a good revision help.
Reply 5
Original post by Charlzi
I did Family and Education as my two AS modules. I personally used this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Level-Sociology-Complete-Specification/dp/0954007956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379087886&sr=8-1&keywords=aqa+sociology
It has EVERYTHING you need to know in it, plus a bit extra. Very easy to read and well structured in terms of each section will relate to a question that can come up on the exam, not much cross over between sections and questions at AS
I also got: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Succeed-AS-Sociology-Complete-Specification/dp/0954007972/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1379087886&sr=8-14&keywords=aqa+sociology
Now this one is not neccessary, as everything is in the orange book, but it is good for some more exam examples and just general revision help

Also a quick note. Do as MANY exam questions/papers you can. Get them off the AQA website. It will help put the knowledge you learn into exam context and be a good revision help.

Ah, thank you so much! You wouldn't mind if I asked you for help here and there through the year, would you?
Reply 6
Ah, thank you so much! You wouldn't mind if I asked you for help here and there through the year, would you?

Not at all :smile: Always willing to help where I can
Reply 7
Also my subjects actually are History, Sociology and Psychology and I would say at AS level I enjoyed Psychology the most, and at A2 I enjoyed Sociology the most, but as an overall subject I preffered History :smile: However History is harder to learn at home due to exam technique being slightly harder. I would say Sociology is the easier to self teach through books
Reply 8
I did AQA Sociology and OCR Psychology. I really enjoyed the course, I found it really interesting and it was easy to find resources. There are some really good books out there which would be easy to self teach from.

I hated Psychology but I think that was purely down to the exam board. I definitely wouldn't recommend OCR for Psychology, although it might be okay if you're just doing AS.

Overall I would say Sociology is a more interesting subject, but that's just my opinion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I'm looking to drop FM right now, and I might take on Sociology :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Charlzi

Those are the books i used! They were really good. The second link was really good for a last minute revision before the exam!

I loved AS sociology! It was really intresting and nearly all my lessons were fun, i got an overall B (2 marks of an A, which I still cry about sometimes xD ) But sociology is really good. I saw go for it. And I wouldnt mind helping you out if you have any questions on it. I've even got some other resources i can send you if you are thinking of taking it.

BTW, person I quoted, are you doing A2? And if so which one you doing? Power and Politics (like me) Or Belief religion in society?
Reply 11
Original post by AnimeCrazy
Those are the books i used! They were really good. The second link was really good for a last minute revision before the exam!

I loved AS sociology! It was really intresting and nearly all my lessons were fun, i got an overall B (2 marks of an A, which I still cry about sometimes xD ) But sociology is really good. I saw go for it. And I wouldnt mind helping you out if you have any questions on it. I've even got some other resources i can send you if you are thinking of taking it.

BTW, person I quoted, are you doing A2? And if so which one you doing? Power and Politics (like me) Or Belief religion in society?

Hey! I finished A2 sociology last year. I did belief systems and crime and deviance :smile: I really enjoyed both modules but could imagine power and politics being good!
Hi there,

I personally think OCR is the way to go totally, I think It's a lot easier to get higher grades on OCR than aqa and the resources are pretty straight forward to use.
Reply 13
Original post by Bouge de la
Hi there,

I personally think OCR is the way to go totally, I think It's a lot easier to get higher grades on OCR than aqa and the resources are pretty straight forward to use.

I've decided to opt for OCR, would you be able to direct me to a few revision guides you used? And also how the curriculum works, do I get to pick modules etc?
Aqa def
I've decided to opt for OCR, would you be able to direct me to a few revision guides you used? And also how the curriculum works, do I get to pick modules etc?

Hi there

I'm so sorry the delayed response!
You'll definitley be needing one of theses babies http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Sociology-Student-Book-Level/dp/0435467387/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381082142&sr=1-1&keywords=ocr+as+sociology+book

So I'm not 100% sure about the structure of AS, I can only really speak from experience. At AS I did G671, this module was on Identity and research methods and I did the exam for it in Jan 2013 (50% of AS grade). The exam for this consisted of a pre released material which focused on a particular aspect of identity and a particular type of research method. Then the second half of AS was G672, we had the choice of learning the sociology of the family or youth, I chose family because it just seemed more straight forward TBH. But i think within G672 there are several different topics to choose from. For G671 you might want to grab yourself one of these i remember my teacher referring to it quite a lot http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Support-Materials-Sociology-Socialization/dp/0007418353/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381082142&sr=1-4&keywords=ocr+as+sociology+book.

I suggest you explore the website for more information and past papers.http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-sociology-h181-h581/

Good Luck!
Original post by Secretnerd123
hey i can help you too :smile: sociology is a interesting subject, particularly at A2.

btw, i disagree with the above person who said there isn't a structure.I knew everything for AS but didn't know the structure and came out with a D. after i learnt the structure and used it for a2 and AS retakes, i came out with A*. there is a structure you need to know for sociology aqa. if you don't know, you cant get higher than a C. here it is:

Application (e.g One sociologist who agrees with the item is parsons/ one sociologist who agrees with the above statement is...)

Knowledge ( Say what they talk about that relates to the question , eg Parsons said that the family is beneficial for society because...)

Evaluation (who supports/disagrees with them) . this is really imp as it carries most the marks

Application (refer back to the question)

REMEMBER APPLICATION, KNOWLEDGE EVALUATION APPLICATION!!!! my helpful teacher drilled this into us hehe ^_^ GOOD LUCK

Hi

Just to clarify, I didn't say that there wasn't a structure, I said I wasn't 100% sure about the structure of the course. I think you are referring to the structure of essays rather than the structure of the actual course. The op said they will be doing ocr rather than aqa.
Reply 17
I love sociology'! I'm doing A2 at the moment but in my AS I got an A! Feel free to message me if you need any help! I would def recommend AQA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
OCR is a much easier board for sociology.
Reply 19
Hi,
I'm teaching myself Sociology but wanted to know if its still late to do so. I've checked the specification and it starts with 'Culture and Identity' but it seems like some have just gone for 'Families and Households'.
Can someone just brief me about what to start studying for?
Any help would be appreciated.
Lina x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending