The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4480
Original post by keromedic
Is it crazy that part of a small (5%) part of me wants to self study ASs in physics, electronics and computing this year?

You lot get to do electronics. You lucky dude. I hate how some schools/colleges don't do certain subjects. As in I wanted to do economics and wouldn't have minded computer science either but only private schools offered them where I am now other schools are starting them for GCSE well computer sciences anyway :frown:

Original post by Prittybee
Hi guys I need help...
In AS level I messed up really bad and I'm left with Chemistry (E), Biology(E) and maths statistics(E)
I really really really want to become a doctor but seen as I dropped maths stats for a modern foreign language (now predicted B for A2) and my chemistry teacher isn't making my life easy and predicting me an E and the same with biology means the chances of getting into biomedical science Is ruined help me what shall I do

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apply abroad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qari
You lot get to do electronics. You lucky dude. I hate how some schools/colleges don't do certain subjects. As in I wanted to do economics and wouldn't have minded computer science either but only private schools offered them where I am now other schools are starting them for GCSE well computer sciences anyway :frown:

Apply abroad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess I am lucky!
:mad:

application sent back to me

Ugh its the AS and A2 problem again...
Am I not supposed to enter all my AS-levels and then all of my A2s... they say that I've entered my ASs twice both in AS and A2... but she told me I could

argh I want unis to see what I got at AS, is that not too much to ask UCAS?
Reply 4483
I guess I am lucky!

So if you chose to self study electronics I would understand why you would want to though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Robbie242
banking/finance/research/statistics atm

Very nice! :biggrin:
Original post by Qari
There is always a 1% chancePosted from TSR Mobile

True hahaha :wink:
Ah fair enough, I awoke to do some biology. We're currently doing intensive farming which isn't as dull as you'd imagine but still not very relevant to the biology I'm interested in.
I might post my CDs (not the disk) on here at the end of yr 13 for the people who want to stay in contact :biggrin:.

My teacher has made us get into groups and "teach" the class the section - My group is doing intensive farming. Wayhey.
Original post by Lucy96
Well, Exeter for evolutionary biology. The main issue is that it's clear from my personal statement it won't be my first choice as it's much more focused on evolutionary/biological anthropology. However it is heavily centred around evolution so that's why I'm going for it haha. Plus my chemistry AS grade doesn't exactly help :tongue:

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh ok, hopefully as there's a lot of common ground they won't mind too much? You could always ask to send a second personal statement about it, that or just take the risk as I would imagine it's not a particularly common course so your problem won't be an unusual one.

I have that problem as I'm applying for a mixture of courses but I'm hoping to make my PS about 2/3 physics, 1/3 music to cover both and hope for the best :colondollar: My tough one is Edinburgh for physics and music, love the course but there's no way I'll get on it :frown:

Don't do economics, sorry!

Is it crazy that part of a small (5%) part of me wants to self study ASs in physics, electronics and computing this year?

Physics :love: Electronics though, that is a bit weird...
Original post by furryface12
Ooh ok, hopefully as there's a lot of common ground they won't mind too much? You could always ask to send a second personal statement about it, that or just take the risk as I would imagine it's not a particularly common course so your problem won't be an unusual one.

I have that problem as I'm applying for a mixture of courses but I'm hoping to make my PS about 2/3 physics, 1/3 music to cover both and hope for the best :colondollar: My tough one is Edinburgh for physics and music, love the course but there's no way I'll get on it :frown:

That's what I'm really hoping for haha! That's true :smile: and precisely, it's not exactly competitive :tongue:

Oooh I see! I'm sure you'll be okay :biggrin: aww why do you think that? :frown:
Original post by Lucy96
That's what I'm really hoping for haha! That's true :smile: and precisely, it's not exactly competitive :tongue:

Oooh I see! I'm sure you'll be okay :biggrin: aww why do you think that? :frown:

You'll be fine, and as for the chemistry grade that's perfectly normal, I'm so glad to have dropped it! :biggrin:

Because their standard offer is AAA, minimum ABB and I will (hopefully, although as it stand's it's BBB) be predicted ABB (also hopefully, I can get higher than this!). Also, only 53% of applicants get offers, which ridiculously low compared to my other courses! I can always hope though...
:mad:

application sent back to me

Ugh its the AS and A2 problem again...
Am I not supposed to enter all my AS-levels and then all of my A2s... they say that I've entered my ASs twice both in AS and A2... but she told me I could

argh I want unis to see what I got at AS, is that not too much to ask UCAS?

I guess you could enter the dropped AS as AS.
Then enter A2s as grade pending but enter the first 3 modules :smile:
Original post by Qari
So if you chose to self study electronics I would understand why you would want to though

Posted from TSR Mobile

I won't, it's just a silly thought :smile:.

Original post by furryface12

Physics :love: Electronics though, that is a bit weird...

I guess it is a bit weird :P. Someone I like took those subjects last year and I wanted to see what all the jazz was :biggrin:.
I guess you could enter the dropped AS as AS.
Then enter A2s as grade pending but enter the first 3 modules :smile:

you don't say

then they wouldn't see my overall AS grade

which is the problem

I guess it is a bit weird :P. Someone I like took those subjects last year and I wanted to see what all the jazz was :biggrin:.

I think I'm biased, I just hate electricity! The rest of physics is fine, but electricity horrible :tongue:

Computer science could be interesting though, they don't offer it at my school (or electronics,come to that matter) although I have a friend wanting to do it at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
you don't say

then they wouldn't see my overall AS grade

which is the problem

Well I'm sorry. It would be obvious. They'll get told by your teachers. This way they get module information also :smile:
Is ln(1+x^2), lnx^2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Farringtonn
Is ln(1+x^2), lnx^2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't. :smile: Pick a number and check.
Original post by purplemind
It isn't. :smile: Pick a number and check.

Hmm I see. How would I split it up then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Farringtonn
Hmm I see. How would I split it up then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not a product which is what I assume you are confused by

Remember

ln(a)+ln(b)=ln(ab)\ln(a)+ln(b)=\ln(ab)

but ln(a+b)\ln(a+b) is not equal to ln(a)+ln(b)\ln(a)+\ln(b)
Argh. 2 lines over on my PS, no idea what to cut out.
It's not a product which is what I assume you are confused by

Remember

ln(a)+ln(b)=ln(ab)\ln(a)+ln(b)=\ln(ab)

but ln(a+b)\ln(a+b) is not equal to ln(a)+ln(b)\ln(a)+\ln(b)

Yeah, I need to get x on its own.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest