The Student Room Group

Do you thank the bus driver?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Only if he lets me on when I have no money/ticket, or what the guy said above
Original post by Ripper-Roo
The bus driver, hairdresser, librarian, aren't being polite by giving you a service, it's their job.

You have no idea how much effort is a bus drivers job.
They wake up at stupid o'clock (my dad woke up at 3am today for work. And he lives around half a hour away.) so they can take you to work.
They suffer abuse from people.
They get so much hate.

They like it when they get a thank you in return.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by Katie_p
I didn't say it happened every day. I said when it happens, I thank them for doing their job. It has happened on two occasions that I can remember. I'm sorry if this is difficult for you to understand, sometimes things that seem unlikely actually happen, because, you know, they're not impossible.

I'm not finding it 'difficult' to understand :curious: it just seems strange, that they were close and quick enough. Anyway, their job is to clean not to tidy.
Reply 83
Original post by Midnightmemories
They wake up at stupid o'clock (my dad woke up at 3am today for work. And he lives around half a hour away.) so they can take you to work.
They get so much hate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bus drivers are more than generously paid and have great hours, atleast the ones in London.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
The bus driver, hairdresser, librarian, aren't being polite by giving you a service, it's their job.

I'm referring to my own politeness - even when somebody is just doing their job.
Reply 85
i say sometimes when i see bus waiting in the stop and i am running from distance.
Yes, I thank the driver as best as I can. So if the bus is really full then there may be no point in trying to shout 'Thank you!' above everyone else :tongue:
I always say thanks, unless they did something to annoy me. Once or twice I've had a bus driver make a rude comment when I got on, and I make a point of ignoring them as I get off, but otherwise it's just common decency to thank someone when they've done something for you, whether or not they were paid for it.
Reply 88
They get so much hate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not underestimating how much effort the work is. Generally speaking lots of other professions have to wake up early too. I understand that bus driving may have been the only available job, but people aren't forced to be one.

People who are rude to bus drivers (or anyone for that matter) unnecessarily are arse holes, end of.

The only time I saw someone being rude to a bus driver, is because he was rude to them. The nature of their job doesn't make them exempt from people being annoyed with their service.

I say thank you to bus drivers because I see them as a person doing their job, but not defined by their job, and they're not my servant (even then I'd still say thanks).
Reply 89
Yes I say thank you. I get the bus so often that they know me and they chat to me when I get on too. :colondollar:
Reply 90
Not here in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thank the bus driver when I am not in London. If you do it in London, they would look at you funnily.
Original post by 2ndClass
Bus drivers are more than generously paid and have great hours, atleast the ones in London.

I don't live in London.
I live near Oxford.
And they don't.
Because twelve hour shifts with around a twenty minute break is bad. Don't you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Part of my route is "Hail and ride" If I get on/off there, then I will thank them, as they gone out off their way(Though it IS there job) to stop the bus. And/or If they waited while I've ran for the bus.
Reply 94
I do
I always thank them. It's just a natural thing to do for me... I would feel rude if I didn't 😅
Reply 96
I don't live in London.
I live near Oxford.
And they don't.
Because twelve hour shifts with around a twenty minute break is bad. Don't you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

One of my mates works 8hr shifts and get paid £18 per hour. You should move to London.
I try to thank him, but I feel nervous about speaking up... so sometimes I just don't.
I went back to London after too much time up north.

Accidentally said thanks to the bus driver. Everyone on the bus, driver included, looked at me like I was mad.
Reply 99
Don't use public transport. Ew, peasants.

Quick Reply

Latest