The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sabertooth
I'm having major regrets about so many things I did. Mostly about my university courses - I did what I was interested in and then what would put me at an advantage when applying for my dream job. The chance of getting that job is now pretty much zero. I'm good with my hands, I can work out how to fix stuff, my mum's always getting me to paint/tile/other DIY things whenever I go round her's and my wife always gets me to do things when they need fixing here too. I'm not good at academics. I wish I'd done like an apprenticeship or something with useful skills.

I'm gonna apply for jobs and I know all I'm going to get will be fast food jobs, I got into tens of thousands of pounds debt just to work in Mcdonald's.

Sorry for the rant, this has been bothering me ever since the reality hit me and I decided to actually apply for jobs.

How're you? Are you feeling any better than earlier?

Saber, don't be a dumbass. :tongue: You studied something you were genuinely interested in, and had a go at aiming for your dream job. That's something to be proud of. And you got your degree, and your postgrad, thus proving that you can do academics. Plus you're only in your twenties, so you have plenty of time to be changing your mind about what you want to do. By all means try going for a more practical (but enjoyable) job - but that doesn't mean you have to regret your time spent doing other stuff. You've got a uni where you live, most likely community colleges, local businesses and the like as well - have a browse and see if anyone's offering something practical that you'd be interested in.

I'm alright, been feeling really tired today (was having fun getting up to no good yesterday :colone: so I guess it's not surprising), but other than that feeling more or less better. :smile:
Original post by superwolf
Saber, don't be a dumbass. :tongue: You studied something you were genuinely interested in, and had a go at aiming for your dream job. That's something to be proud of. And you got your degree, and your postgrad, thus proving that you can do academics. Plus you're only in your twenties, so you have plenty of time to be changing your mind about what you want to do. By all means try going for a more practical (but enjoyable) job - but that doesn't mean you have to regret your time spent doing other stuff. You've got a uni where you live, most likely community colleges, local businesses and the like as well - have a browse and see if anyone's offering something practical that you'd be interested in.

I'm alright, been feeling really tired today (was having fun getting up to no good yesterday :colone: so I guess it's not surprising), but other than that feeling more or less better. :smile:

I looked into doing classes at the university here and it's $3000 just to enroll and then pay for classes on top. There's also a community college but tbh a degree from there really isn't worth anything. I hadn't thought of seeing if any local businesses might be offering something - that's actually a really good idea. :smile: You say I'm only in my twenties like that's a positive, to me it's a huge negative, I feel like I should be getting ready to do what I want to do until I'm 60 not still being totally unsure/working in Mcdonald's.

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Do I want to know what you got up to yesterday? :tongue:
Reply 9422
I have now taken all my meds today :tongue:. Actually feel quite good, when I don't have bouts of tiredness that is. Meanwhile I really need to get a start on my work, I'm well behind and it is going to cause a lot of problems for me if I don't start doing it. I even need to start sitting away from some people if it will help my concentration. Yes I do feel bad sometimes when I see people having a good time chatting in lessons because I wish I was part of them. But I need to realise that with this attitude I will fail. Especially with Maths on Wednesday which I struggle really badly with, and the last thing I want is to fail because of those people who seem to take it as a joke. Part of this is that the lecturer speaks very quietly and has a strong accent, and is foreign so sometimes has different methods of calculations compared to what we are used to over here. It is only his second semester here, before that he was at a uni in China and today I heard from a more senior member of staff that the incredibly lax attitude to education has caught him out. Maybe he speaks quietly because back in China there was pin drop silence in the class so he didn't need to raise his voice as much? We were told how Chinese students were sat ready in class 5 minutes before the start and paid full attention. You can sometimes tell when he is getting annoyed. I really do not want to be part of the problem. We even get some people (especially that girl I was talking about earlier) drinking alcohol in class :eek:. I think I really need to start doing the mature thing and taking responsibility for my own education :yep:. It is only that module that is a problem, the lecturers for the other modules are fine although people talk over them too, but I still manage to get work done usually.

Massive ramble but I'm just writing my mind out :yep:
Ok a bit upset today so want a little comfort and discussion.

I go to a local gaming event and most of the guys there have been going there years so know each other, one guy there was nice to me for the first 2 times I went a year and a half ago and since then has always been in a bad mood around me and ignores me when I try and speak to him at event.

Last christmas I said to people on the message board that could I get a lift as I only lived 10 minutes walk from the event but had a heavy pc and monitor so I would have to make 3-4 journeys and each would be longer since I would have to keep stopping due to the weight and this guy and another started saying I was lazy and I only lived 10 minutes walk and how once they did a 20 minute walk from train station with their pc(which I dont believe as they have a big car or get lift from relatives each time) What annoyed me is I also offered a few quid towards petrol and it was a 1 way system so each of them had to drive past my house anyway to go home.

Because of this I am careful what I write but at current event I only asked if my pc was powerful enough to run some games and got a response from one guy saying I should just test it so I basically replied that I was going to test but just wanted to check and the one who always is in a bad mood (at least with me he is great with every other person in the group) came on and said they were not my tech support so I replied that I was autistic and again that because of that I like to double check for peace of mind and was accused of just claiming I was autistic to save face, one guy did "apologise" but later said he had nothing to apologise for and the one that is always in a bad mood said he did nothing wrong(despite accusing me of being lazy many times in past for no reason)

After being quiet for a few days it flared up again so all I said was I did not take it personally but wished people understood autism more and a newbie came on who has only been to one group before and said that the guys were right and I was just using autism as a excuse for not bothering to check.

Sorry for long post I just get really upset when people misunderstand me and make assumptions then act like I am the one in the wrong and dont think about my mental health
Original post by Sabertooth
I looked into doing classes at the university here and it's $3000 just to enroll and then pay for classes on top. There's also a community college but tbh a degree from there really isn't worth anything. I hadn't thought of seeing if any local businesses might be offering something - that's actually a really good idea. :smile: You say I'm only in my twenties like that's a positive, to me it's a huge negative, I feel like I should be getting ready to do what I want to do until I'm 60 not still being totally unsure/working in Mcdonald's.

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Do I want to know what you got up to yesterday? :tongue:

Hope you find something good to do. :yy: And twenties is nothing, you've still got decades of work-avoidance ahead of you! :tongue:

You really, seriously don't. :lol:
really struggling with potential ED crapness atm :sad:
Reply 9426
Original post by PonchoKid
really struggling with potential ED crapness atm :sad:

Hey, you feeling better now? :smile: :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by avhhs
Hey, you feeling better now? :smile: :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

meh, just need to force something down my throat...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

waiting on 1 email before i can get my life on track, so need this then hopefully in a fortnight me and my boyfriend will be nearly settled into our own place!
Original post by Anonymous
meh, just need to force something down my throat...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

waiting on 1 email before i can get my life on track, so need this then hopefully in a fortnight me and my boyfriend will be nearly settled into our own place!

daamn auto annon!
Original post by drbluebox
Ok a bit upset today so want a little comfort and discussion.

I go to a local gaming event and most of the guys there have been going there years so know each other, one guy there was nice to me for the first 2 times I went a year and a half ago and since then has always been in a bad mood around me and ignores me when I try and speak to him at event.

Last christmas I said to people on the message board that could I get a lift as I only lived 10 minutes walk from the event but had a heavy pc and monitor so I would have to make 3-4 journeys and each would be longer since I would have to keep stopping due to the weight and this guy and another started saying I was lazy and I only lived 10 minutes walk and how once they did a 20 minute walk from train station with their pc(which I dont believe as they have a big car or get lift from relatives each time) What annoyed me is I also offered a few quid towards petrol and it was a 1 way system so each of them had to drive past my house anyway to go home.

Because of this I am careful what I write but at current event I only asked if my pc was powerful enough to run some games and got a response from one guy saying I should just test it so I basically replied that I was going to test but just wanted to check and the one who always is in a bad mood (at least with me he is great with every other person in the group) came on and said they were not my tech support so I replied that I was autistic and again that because of that I like to double check for peace of mind and was accused of just claiming I was autistic to save face, one guy did "apologise" but later said he had nothing to apologise for and the one that is always in a bad mood said he did nothing wrong(despite accusing me of being lazy many times in past for no reason)

After being quiet for a few days it flared up again so all I said was I did not take it personally but wished people understood autism more and a newbie came on who has only been to one group before and said that the guys were right and I was just using autism as a excuse for not bothering to check.

Sorry for long post I just get really upset when people misunderstand me and make assumptions then act like I am the one in the wrong and dont think about my mental health

That sounds harsh. It's not even just that they aren't thinking about your MH, they just sound generally nasty to me.
I get really annoyed about missconceptions and a lack of understanding too. I mean I guess it's to be expected a bit cos it is a kinda new concept to most people but still you'd think that they could just go with it and save all of that lack of understanding for when they aren't with you.
My ex (didn't last long at all!) once told me that he didn't believe in MH problems etc and that they were just an excuse... AFTER me telling him I have depression AND him telling me he has anxiety! I mean seriously what!?

It's perfectly legitimate to ask for a lift cos you have a heavy pc set up, especially if it would just involve them dropping you off on their own way.

Sorry to hear they're so missunderstanding towards you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by avhhs
Meanwhile I really need to get a start on my work, I'm well behind and it is going to cause a lot of problems for me if I don't start doing it.
Same here! :smile:

But I need to realise that with this attitude I will fail.
I don't think you need to realise it, you know it. You just need to feel better and force you to say hello to the person next to you. It is not a problem of realizing, I think.

Maybe he speaks quietly because back in China there was pin drop silence in the class so he didn't need to raise his voice as much?

Either that, or it is just that in Asia being quiet has nothing negative or he is just like that.

I really do not want to be part of the problem.
I see no evidence, that you are. :confused: You sit quiet in the lecture and hopefully will be able to participate. Just chat with the others before and afterwards and no problem.
Had a bad day so far, missed the train, couldn't find my work (I do like my supervisor,but I am so lazy), felt all is senseless, because I am such a burden to everyone, that even applying for a job is already a fraud, like it was the last time and thus I wished just never to work, but I can't, because I won't have any room after March, because my family has to move out and afterwards I am on my own regarding living. I feel so down, to be never able to afford the living standard which allows you to send your children to good schools and music lessons, but am not capable to do the simpliest tasks properly. Only menial jobs, which are great as a student, but barely get me enough money to live on by myself, without being poor in the long run.
Really need to sort the drs out :s-smilie:
In pain AGAIN :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gemmer_
Hey there. I also suffer from bi polar disorder(manic depression) along with a list of other mental health issues. So if you ever need a chat- I'm here for you. :hugs:

Aw thank you, I'll keep that in mind. And, same with you...I'm always here if you wanna talk :smile: :hugs:
Reply 9434
Really feeling sorry for myself in a big big way. PTSD sucks. Bring on the pity party... someone bring cake, please. God this sucks. Hate flashbacks on my own, hate them in front of people. Hate being on my own, hate being with people. Being back in this time of year is killing all of the good things, and I'm trying so hard to keep balancing life but it's ****ing hard. ****ing self-pity.
Productive day but a painful one thanks to my stupid body :frown:

Sorted a flat out nearly :biggrin:
Found paperwork for the flat.
Got my mum to order meds because the drs is being silly.
Did some washing finally!
AND talked to my 7 week old nephew :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PonchoKid
Productive day but a painful one thanks to my stupid body :frown:

Sorted a flat out nearly :biggrin:
Found paperwork for the flat.
Got my mum to order meds because the drs is being silly.
Did some washing finally!
AND talked to my 7 week old nephew :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done! :five:
Original post by superwolf
Well done! :five:

thanks hun, feels scary being productive :s-smilie:

im just gonna go hibernate now though cos my pain killers have worn off i think :cry2:
Why is the radio only playing sad songs when I'm all over the place? :cry2: Lots of tears
here. :nothing:
And then I get angry with myself because I cried when I shouldnt so then I feel worse and cry more and so on and so on. :facepalm: Where oh where is the logic?! :moon:
(edited 10 years ago)
Um i've never posted here before but i've got an appointment to see a gp about feeling depressed tomorrow, i've not had to go to the doctors about it in like 3 years, and I'm really nervous.

I don't want to get told I need to go to counselling sessions or crap like that, I don't have time for that, my course at uni is very intensive and has a lot of contact hours and labs that I already keep missing because I feel like I can't get out of bed. Can I tell him I'd rather just be put on pills and get on with it?

Also, I'd rather not be put on an SSRI because (while I'm no doctor) I think being on them before has given me post-SSRI sexual dysfunction but I'd find it so embarrassing trying to explain this to him, especially as the doctor I'm seeing is a guy (I'm a girl)

Lastly, should I tell him I've sometimes been self-harming lately? I'm worried I'll get sectioned or something if I mention it... I might just not say anything about it. :s-smilie:

Latest