The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

With the exam paper do we get additional graph paper? or is it just plain paper?
Reply 881
Original post by Mike_Ross
:biggrin:

Also another quick question; is there a quick way of knowing that the minimum value of y=x(x1)(x2)(x3)y=x(x-1)(x-2)(x-3) is -1? It seems there should be some logic to it but differentiating and setting equal to zero gives a painful cubic...

Where's this from?
Original post by CD315
Where's this from?

http://www.drfrostmaths.com/resource.php?id=11225

Question 4b. Answer just assumes the minimum is -1
Original post by BankOfPigs
Hey guy's can someone help me on section A question H.

The answers say it's pi / 9 - 1/6 but I keep getting pi / 9 - root 3 / 12.

Can someone check where the error is in my method?

What I've done is found the sector, with radius 1 angle 2pi/3 (using inverse trig). Then I took away the triangle from it which was side length 1 and 1 and angle 2pi/3.

I then doubled this to find the shaded area, giving me 2pi /3 - root3 / 2.
I then divided by 6, the area of the rectangle.

Thanks

I just worked this out myself again and you're quite right. I'm not quite sure how I got the answer in the model solutions. That's what you get when you try to produce 30 worksheets and 500 slides within the space of a few months...
Feel free to contact me with any other errors you find - I haven't so far had the time to properly check everything through.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Woostarite
I just worked this out myself again and you're quite right. I'm not quite sure how I got the answer in the model solutions. That's what you get when you try to produce 30 worksheets and 500 slides within the space of a few months...

You produced those MAT prep slides/sheets? Just wanted to say I am eternally grateful, even though I was only shown them last night I've worked through all but two (for tomorrow), and they are INSANELY helpful. Many, many thanks! You could easily make a ton of money selling them.
:biggrin:

Also another quick question; is there a quick way of knowing that the minimum value of y=x(x1)(x2)(x3)y=x(x-1)(x-2)(x-3) is -1? It seems there should be some logic to it but differentiating and setting equal to zero gives a painful cubic...

x(x1)(x2)(x3)=(x23x)(x23x+2)=(x23x)2+2(x23x)x(x-1)(x-2)(x-3) = (x^2 - 3x)(x^2 - 3x + 2) = (x^2 - 3x)^2 + 2(x^2 - 3x)

You have a quadratic in (x23x)(x^2 - 3x), complete the square.
You produced those MAT prep slides/sheets? Just wanted to say I am eternally grateful, even though I was only shown them last night I've worked through all but two (for tomorrow), and they are INSANELY helpful. Many, many thanks! You could easily make a ton of money selling them.

I'll leave the extortioning to 'Oxbridge Applications Ltd'. :wink:
(Incidentally, they charged £300 to someone I know for a mock maths interview. Its content was questionable...)
Reply 887
(Incidentally, they charged £300 to someone I know for a mock maths interview. Its content was questionable...)

What was the content?

I also want to say, "Thank you so much for your slides!" They have undoubtably been very helpful.

As well as this, my brother is loving Maths more than ever and he says that he wants to be a mathematician. He's doing more extended reading than me; yesterday, he was reading about the Delta-Epsilon Proof. In the last year, I have always seen him come home with some maths problem he was dying to solve and he got pretty competitive with those Puzzle Points! This is very likely due to the intellectually stimulating nature of your lessons and Zeta Club pack questions, so thank you very much again. He's even been warming to geometry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jadoreétudier
Does it matter if we do the exam in pencil or pen?

I think we'd prefer pen, but we'll mark it however it comes (within reason...).

Original post by ainsley94
Anyone know what time the test actually is?

It's up to the test centre to decide the time.

Original post by WinnerMachine12
With the exam paper do we get additional graph paper? or is it just plain paper?

No, you're supposed to write everything within the booklet.

One other thing: you're not allowed to use calculators, books of formulae, dictionaries, etc.

Good luck all!
This is important. Candidates will be sitting the test at different times in different parts of the world. Therefore please do not discuss the test immediately afterwards. See the stern warning from the Mods at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=693&a=1358. I hope discussion will be allowed from mid-day (UK time) on Thursday.

Good luck!
Reply 891
Original post by gavinlowe
This is important. Candidates will be sitting the test at different times in different parts of the world. Therefore please do not discuss the test immediately afterwards. See the stern warning from the Mods at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=693&a=1358. I hope discussion will be allowed from mid-day (UK time) on Thursday.

Good luck!

can we do rough working and stuff that we dont want marked on the question paper, like where the questions are asked as opposed to the answer booklet. And could you please explain roughly how the answer booklet is set out

cheers
Reply 892
Original post by IceKidd
can we do rough working and stuff that we dont want marked on the question paper, like where the questions are asked as opposed to the answer booklet. And could you please explain roughly how the answer booklet is set out

cheers

I believe there won't be any separate question paper, the questions will probably be printed in the booklet itself. I'm not sure though, so please don't take my word for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IceKidd
can we do rough working and stuff that we dont want marked on the question paper, like where the questions are asked as opposed to the answer booklet.

The questions and answers are in the same booklet. Yes, certainly do rough working; but try to make clear what you want marked.

And could you please explain roughly how the answer booklet is set out

cheers

Have a look at last year's paper at http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/how_to_apply/MAT2012.pdf.
Reply 894
Original post by gavinlowe
The questions and answers are in the same booklet. Yes, certainly do rough working; but try to make clear what you want marked.

Have a look at last year's paper at http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/how_to_apply/MAT2012.pdf.

But the paper doesnt show where you would write your answers for the 15 mark questions. I am interested in knowing the layout of our answers for that.
Reply 895
Original post by jud1th
I think he means that if you were to be answering, say, question 2, you'd answer it on the blank page after that question.
If you look at the past paper, there's always a blank page between each question 2-7 or a relatively blank page with some axis on.
If one page is not enough, you then refer to one of the blank pages at the back of the booklet and continue on that page :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow i always take 2-3 pages for my question 2/3/4s. Uhoh
Reply 896
Original post by lzliiz
Hello everyone. I started reading this discussion and I saw that people have been preparing for MAT since August... I started a month ago. I am incredibly nervous.
I'm applying to imperial for mathematics with statistics for finance.

im the same maths with stats for finance, started around the beginning of october. i feel like its more than enough time. i also noticed thats your 1st post :smile:
im actually retaking my A levels. so im in a gap year, is imperial your 1st choice and what other places have you applied to?
Reply 897
Original post by jud1th
Maybe ask for some spare paper, do working on there then transfer it more neatly onto the question paper?
idk I have the same problem! When in a rush I don't form lines and handwriting gets huge lol

Id be amazed if anyone was so confident that they had the time to do that

i cant believe they dont give us lined paper. that is actually so annoying. my works going to become very untidy on plane paper

edit due to baaad spelling
(edited 10 years ago)
Can someone please explain question 5 vi) on 2012 to me?? I'm really stuck. I don't understand the mark scheme!!

Hi,

where can I find these sheets??

Thanks (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending