The Student Room Group

A question for history students.

How much reading do you have each week? as in how many pages on average and generally speaking would you say it's a lot of work? What does your workload consist of?
Reply 1
anyone?
what level?
Reply 3
Original post by ActusReus
How much reading do you have each week? as in how many pages on average and generally speaking would you say it's a lot of work? What does your workload consist of?

I'm at UEA, I've only done a few modules of History as opposed to the whole degree but having spoken to others who do straight History I have a good idea. You aren't told exactly how many pages to read, its up to you, your told what the seminar topic will be and its up to you to determine how much reading is necessary to be able to speak about it- the reading list for each week is really long but really you only need to select two or three books or journals. In the case of books use the index to find the pages relevant. As far as coursework goes in the first two years its 3 modules per semester and 2 essays/and or source analysis/commentary per module, so 6 essays per semester, there may be presentations on top of that. Last year is a bit different, you do 3 modules or 2 plus a dissertation (its optional), for the module I'm doing its 2 source analysis & an essay.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
I'm at UEA, I've only done a few modules of History as opposed to the whole degree but having spoken to others who do straight History I have a good idea. You aren't told exactly how many pages to read, its up to you, your told what the seminar topic will be and its up to you to determine how much reading is necessary to be able to speak about it- the reading list for each week is really long but really you only need to select two or three books or journals. In the case of books use the index to find the pages relevant. As far as coursework goes in the first two years its 3 modules per semester and 2 essays/and or source analysis/commentary per module, so 6 essays per semester, there may be presentations on top of that. Last year is a bit different, you do 3 modules or 2 plus a dissertation (its optional), for the module I'm doing its 2 source analysis & an essay.

Thanks for the reply :smile:
How much time would you have to spend on reading a week though? I hear some courses require around 6 hours per module so about 24 hours a week of independent work. How would you say history compares?
Reply 5
Thanks for the reply :smile:
How much time would you have to spend on reading a week though? I hear some courses require around 6 hours per module so about 24 hours a week of independent work. How would you say history compares?

For my current module I don't spend more than 2 on seminar reading but then there is no exam. Universities though often say you should do more independent time studying than a) you need to and b) most people do. The bulk of reading comes from coursework. And to add if it is an exam module you'd probally want to do a bit more reading as the bulk of revision notes for an Arts subject will come from extra reading you've done for seminars and if you do it as you go along you aren't faced with lots of books to read at the end of the year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I do a few modules which are essentially history based, but run by the international politics department. I'd say probably a few chapters a week preparing for seminars and going over things. The workload increases by quite a bit in the run up to the essay deadline. That reminds me, I should be reading :lol:
Reply 7

At Warwick University here and our reading list is pretty strict in terms of we have 2-4 sections of books or articles to read that then do get discussed in seminars (though some tutors are much more lenient than others). The amount of pages change every week but I would say I spend about 6-12 hours doing reading depending on whether the texts are interesting or not. That being said, I only have 10 hours of contact time so in reality that adds up to 20 hours which isn't much. Obviously, essay time is much different. Any more questions, feel free to ask :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by hallesxd
At Warwick University here and our reading list is pretty strict in terms of we have 2-4 sections of books or articles to read that then do get discussed in seminars (though some tutors are much more lenient than others). The amount of pages change every week but I would say I spend about 6-12 hours doing reading depending on whether the texts are interesting or not. That being said, I only have 10 hours of contact time so in reality that adds up to 20 hours which isn't much. Obviously, essay time is much different. Any more questions, feel free to ask :biggrin:

by that do you mean the actual books on the reading list get discussed as opposed to the theme? asking out of curiosity because our uni never have enough copies of the texts on the reading list for everyone so we couldn't all possibly read the same texts. And I'm impressed with your commitment to the reading.
Reply 9

For history at Kent I do 2-4 hours a week. Typically 4 30 page extracts a week. Doesn't sound a lot but it does take it's time. My work load is reading and essays and in summer revision for exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Cina
For history at Kent I do 2-4 hours a week. Typically 4 30 page extracts a week. Doesn't sound a lot but it does take it's time. My work load is reading and essays and in summer revision for exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So on average how many hours of independent work are you doing each week? (all modules combined)
Reply 11
So on average how many hours of independent work are you doing each week? (all modules combined)

This depends from week to week/ term to term. One of my modules is assessed by weekly assignments so assignments and reading to do probably about 6-7. Also bare in mind one of my modules take up more credits than the other two so I'm doing one 30 credit module and two 15 credit modules however next term it'll be 4 15 credit. When I have an essay due as well as reading and assignment it can be bumped up to about 10-15 hours depending how much work you put in :smile: hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I try to read as much as I possibly can.

If you want to get a good 2.1 or especially a first, you really do have to put the hours in and read as widely about the subject as time allows. But then if you are not that bothered and a low 2.1 is all you want, you can quite easily just read what you are required for the seminars and have a comfortable three years.

When I am writing a essay I can easily read for about 6 hours a day as I have found writing essays are a breeze if I have done a large amount of reading and note making,
Original post by Charliemouse
I try to read as much as I possibly can.

If you want to get a good 2.1 or especially a first, you really do have to put the hours in and read as widely about the subject as time allows. But then if you are not that bothered and a low 2.1 is all you want, you can quite easily just read what you are required for the seminars and have a comfortable three years.

When I am writing a essay I can easily read for about 6 hours a day as I have found writing essays are a breeze if I have done a large amount of reading and note making,

Can I be you please! I've done so much reading & note making for this essay yet still its taking me forever to write it.
What I do, is, I pin all my notes to my wall, it just makes it easier to quickly find the quote I want instead of going through all of my notes which can be up to 20 pages.
Original post by Charliemouse
What I do, is, I pin all my notes to my wall, it just makes it easier to quickly find the quote I want instead of going through all of my notes which can be up to 20 pages.

ah see even with easy access to the quotes i still frequently hit a blank with what to write
So speaking daily, how much do you guys read roughly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending