The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Thinking of applying for English and History combined degree at Southampton

I am currently in the middle of my UCAS application for an undergraduate English and History combined degree (my Personal Statement is currently awaiting a review) & after tons of research on the university, student life, and the course itself, I am considering putting an application in at Southampton for this course for entry next September:smile:I am wondering whether there is anybody (regardless of what year of study) studying at this university & can give me some advice, thoughts and opinions on the course and campus etc. I am 24 (I guess a "mature student") so I am out of the traditional 18-21 student age range so I am questioning what the university is like/ treats the category of students I fall into. Unfortunately, I did not make it to any of the open days Southampton have held this side of Christmas, so understandably, any input from anybody who is a current/ past student or in any way affiliated with the university would be greatly appreciated:smile:Thank you in advance!
Original post by emlouimawx
I am currently in the middle of my UCAS application for an undergraduate English and History combined degree (my Personal Statement is currently awaiting a review) & after tons of research on the university, student life, and the course itself, I am considering putting an application in at Southampton for this course for entry next September:smile:I am wondering whether there is anybody (regardless of what year of study) studying at this university & can give me some advice, thoughts and opinions on the course and campus etc. I am 24 (I guess a "mature student") so I am out of the traditional 18-21 student age range so I am questioning what the university is like/ treats the category of students I fall into. Unfortunately, I did not make it to any of the open days Southampton have held this side of Christmas, so understandably, any input from anybody who is a current/ past student or in any way affiliated with the university would be greatly appreciated:smile:Thank you in advance!

Hi @emlouimawx

It's great to heare that you are considering southampton as a place one of you university choice. English and History is mainly based on the university's Avenue campus which is one of our smaller campuses, but still well equiped. It is only a 10 minute walk from the Main Highfield campus and still boasts a cafe, a common room, the Digital Hiumanities Hub and much more. You can take a quick tour around the campus here
In terms of the course, you may have come across this already, but Ulfat - a recent English and History student - Spoke about choosing to study English and History at Southampton.
The Univversity is very welcoming to mature students like yourself and offers the same support and facilities as they do to other students. This includes our 24/7 wellbeing support, careers support as well as the facilities provided by the student's Union, SUSU. There are also oppotunities that are set up specifically for mature students such as the transition dayand mature student coffee mingles. You can find more details about this here.
if you do end up applying to Southampton and you get and offer, you can attend one of our visit days, which will give you the chance to explore the campuses as well as expirience how your course is taught through some taster lectures. These visit days run from Feburary to April on selected Saturdays.

I hope this information has been useful to you. Please do let me know if there are any further questions you may have
All the Best for your application
Matthew
Student Ambassador
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending