The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Will I be Interviewed at Southampton for Foundation year science?

Hi I am new to this so please bare with me. I'm a mature student and have applied to Southampton to study Marine Biology with a Science foundation year as I do not have Science/Maths A Levels. Can anyone tell me whether they will ask for an interview or make their decision based on the UCAS application? If anyone has experience of the Foundation year at Southampton I'd be very grateful if you could share your experiences.
Original post by MBIO
Hi I am new to this so please bare with me. I'm a mature student and have applied to Southampton to study Marine Biology with a Science foundation year as I do not have Science/Maths A Levels. Can anyone tell me whether they will ask for an interview or make their decision based on the UCAS application? If anyone has experience of the Foundation year at Southampton I'd be very grateful if you could share your experiences.

I don't think anyone here can give you a firm yes/no answer but as a mature student your chances of getting interviewed are much higher than otherwise (and the standard marine biology intake has an informal interview for everyone if I remember rightly) so I think it would be sensible to expect to be interviewed.

The interviews don't tend to be aggressive though - it's more an opportunity to talk to you about why you want to do the course, what sparked your interest/return to education and to check that the course you've applied to reflects your expectations. Plus it's a chance for you to speak to someone about the course and find out a bit more about what is involved.

If attending an interview in person is difficult then usually you can arrange for it to take place via skype or phone if you ask.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending