The Student Room Group

C3 functions

I am really stuck on this questions about functions from C3. Could someone help me please?? The actual bit I cannot do is finding the value of x:

f(x)=ln(3-2x) x<1.5
g(x)=e2x+1
Find the exact value of x for which f-1(x)=g(x).

So far I have got f-1(x)= (3-ex)/2

Then I tried:

(3-ex)/2 = e2x+1
3-ex = 2e2x+2
0=2e2x+ex-1
0=(2ex-1)(ex+1)

So I got x=ln(0.5) but this is apparently wrong. I don't even know if this is the correct way to find x or, if it is, where I have gone wrong! A little help please?
Reply 1
Original post by madnutcase434

So I got x=ln(0.5) but this is apparently wrong. I don't even know if this is the correct way to find x or, if it is, where I have gone wrong! A little help please?

Looks ok to me - what do you think you should have
I am really stuck on this questions about functions from C3. Could someone help me please?? The actual bit I cannot do is finding the value of x:

f(x)=ln(3-2x) x<1.5
g(x)=e2x+1
Find the exact value of x for which f-1(x)=g(x).

So far I have got f-1(x)= (3-ex)/2

Then I tried:

(3-ex)/2 = e2x+1
3-ex = 2e2x+2
0=2e2x+ex-1
0=(2ex-1)(ex+1)

Have you copied the question correctly? I don't understand what the < sign is there for
Original post by brianeverit
Have you copied the question correctly? I don't understand what the < sign is there for

Really? Try setting x >=1.5 and see what happens to f(x).
Reply 4
The answer is apparently x=ln2... and the question definitely said x<1.5. The other answer I got for x was ln(-1) which is not a possible answer. Thanks for your help anyway
Reply 5
The answer is apparently x=ln2... and the question definitely said x<1.5. The other answer I got for x was ln(-1) which is not a possible answer. Thanks for your help anyway

You sure the answer given was not x=-ln(2)?
Original post by Mr M
Really? Try setting x >=1.5 and see what happens to f(x).

I misread it as t=ln(32x)xt=\ln(3-2x)x rather than the x<1.5 is just a restriction on the value of x.

Quick Reply

Latest