The Student Room Group

Likelihood of Economics and Management at Oxford?i

Hi. I'm currently studying my AS courses which are: Economics, Biology, English and Chemistry. Hopefully I will get 4A's at AS and, in the order above, between AAAA and A*A*AA at A-Level. At GCSE I achieved 5A*'s, 3A's, 2B's

I wanted to study E&M at Oxford to enter a career in Investment Banking in London; however it required A-Level Maths (I got a B at GCSE). Are there any economics degrees at the top Uni's that may accept me without Maths? If not what else could I study for a career in investment banking?

I realise it's not related to economics but I had some work experience at Allen & Overy in London.

Thanks for any replies:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by studier1
Economics, Biology, English and Chemistry

As it stands, you won't be considered as you need to take maths:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/economics_and_management/economics_and_2.html

It might be worth contacting admissions to see if you could take the whole maths A-level next year and still have a chance.

I'm afraid you'll run into the same problem with most top universities, since the vast majority require maths at least to AS-level and preferably to A-level.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Top universities? 0% chance mate without Maths. Sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
You can enter IB with any highly mathematical degree, which is unfortunate since you're not doing A level maths/FM.

These degrees are things like engineering, mathematics, physics, chemistry, economics, etc...

There's no point applying for a course which has a prerequisite of mathematics A level. It's asking for an auto rejection.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending