The Student Room Group

AS biology nucleic acids

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew what the hardest topic is in OCR AS biology is because I have found all the topics so far okay and have been coming out with good test results. However, my normal teacher isn't here for 3 weeks and we have started nucleic acids with another teacher who doesn't explain things very well and so far I'm finding it difficult, is this the hardest topic in AS biology? Thanks to anyone who helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by gracelily96
(...) is this the hardest topic in AS biology? Thanks to anyone who helps!

It was a quite easy topic in AS biology for me. I guess I will explain you first what a nuleic acid is. It is a macromolecule which consists of nucleotides. Nucleotides consist of phosphate, monosaccaride (pentose to be exactly) and one of the nucleobases, adenine, guanine, thymine (uracil in RNA instead of thymine) or cytosine.

Thus nucleic acid is the structure of DNA and RNA. DNA contains the genetic information, while RNA is used this information (after the process of translation and transcritpion) to synthezise certain proteins for instance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew what the hardest topic is in OCR AS biology is because I have found all the topics so far okay and have been coming out with good test results. However, my normal teacher isn't here for 3 weeks and we have started nucleic acids with another teacher who doesn't explain things very well and so far I'm finding it difficult, is this the hardest topic in AS biology? Thanks to anyone who helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Kallisto
It was a quite easy topic in AS biology for me. I guess I will explain you first what a nuleic acid is. It is a macromolecule which consists of nucleotides. Nucleotides consist of phosphate, monosaccaride (pentose to be exactly) and one of the nucleobases, adenine, guanine, thymine (uracil in RNA instead of thymine) or cytosine.

Thus nucleic acid is the structure of DNA and RNA. DNA contains the genetic information, while RNA is used this information (after the process of translation and transcritpion) to synthezise certain proteins for instance.

To add to the above, nucleic acids is an easy topic. Here is some more info on it:
--> You already know the two types of nucleic acids (NA) i.e. DNA and RNA. DNA is a double helix, while RNA has a single strand. DNA has information stored on it in the form of a specific sequence of nucleotides. This information on double stranded DNA is converted to mRNA (messenger RNA) by transcription process. The mRNA decodes this information in ribosomes--protein factories-- to make proteins, like enzymes in translation etc.
--> Nucelic acids can be replicated, following a process involving a series of enzymes etc. DNA replication is by far the most important and is essential for the continuity of life.
--> Gene technologies use the nucleic acids like DNA nad RNA and their processes to make certain beneficial products.
Reply 4

thank you for breaking it down for me! I'm finding it a lot easier now :smile: thanks for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Dynamo123
To add to the above, nucleic acids is an easy topic. Here is some more info on it:
--> You already know the two types of nucleic acids (NA) i.e. DNA and RNA. DNA is a double helix, while RNA has a single strand. DNA has information stored on it in the form of a specific sequence of nucleotides. This information on double stranded DNA is converted to mRNA (messenger RNA) by transcription process. The mRNA decodes this information in ribosomes--protein factories-- to make proteins, like enzymes in translation etc.
--> Nucelic acids can be replicated, following a process involving a series of enzymes etc. DNA replication is by far the most important and is essential for the continuity of life.
--> Gene technologies use the nucleic acids like DNA nad RNA and their processes to make certain beneficial products.

Thank you for explaining RNA a little more I think this is what I didn't understand he most the roles of RNA, I find it easier to understand now thank you!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thank you for explaining RNA a little more I think this is what I didn't understand he most the roles of RNA, I find it easier to understand now thank you!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. If you need further info, just ask :smile:
thank you for breaking it down for me! I'm finding it a lot easier now :smile: thanks for your help.

You are welcome! (moecular) genetics is one of my favorite topics in biology. :smile:
Reply 8
You are welcome! (moecular) genetics is one of my favorite topics in biology. :smile:

And coincidentally, it is one of mine favorite too! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending